cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fox News HD

Normb101
I've Been Here Awhile

Why is Fox News HD not available on Rogers ?

I have been asking this question for quite a few years and have never been able to get an answer.

Fox News has been broadcasting in HD for years, yet for some reason, Rogers will not add the channel.

I'd much rather watch Fox News in HD than some of the other channels Rogers has, such as the Fireplace Channel etc....

***Edited labels***

109 REPLIES 109

Re: Fox News HD

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

In fact, Fox News in any format is not available on Rogers Cable except as an extra cost subscription or part of an etra cost news package. In view of today's changing political landscape, to maintain balance, I think Rogers ought to offer it along with the other news channels like CBC, CTV and CNN on all basic packages.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@RogersZia wrote:

Hi @Rob16,

Welcome to the Community :)!

At this time we have no updates on when Fox News would be available in HD on our network. However you're more than welcome to share your suggestion here.

RogersZia

I expressed my concerns via that Rogers website. The answer I got was some gobbledygook about Canadian content. Apparently CNN is left-wing enough to qualify, but Fox News is not. Not surprising.

Fox News is no top of cable news in terms of ratings.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@stevehut1:

...but Fox News is not news, it's entertainment. If you search the web for "fox news not news" or similar terms you'll find that Fox admitted it and I believe the owner is now "Fox Entertainment" to avoid further lawsuits and incriminations.

stevehut1
I'm Here A Lot
Rofl.

This is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen in my life.

Long live fox NEWS

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@stevehut1 wrote:

This is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen in my life.

You mean Fox News?

stevehut1
I'm Here A Lot

Another person who fears Fox News telling the truth that other channels won't dare report.

Hello folks,

Let's please keep this on-topic. This thread is to discuss the addition of Fox News HD to our service, not to discuss the content of the channel.

If you wish to discuss politics, feel free to take it to PM or you can start an off-topic thread in our Community Lounge.

Thanks for keeping our Community a pleasant place to be!

Regards,

RogersCorey

In these very different times it is important to understand what is being said by all sides.

That's my main argument for being able to tune into Fox News HD when I think it necessary.

trudoh
I Plan to Stick Around
why don't we have Fox News HD? Why do we not have access to the Fox News app like we do do for CNN for live TV? I think more than a few people would appreciate this

trudoh
I Plan to Stick Around
Message from Rogers on Twitter: Thanks for reaching out to us today! I can certainly understand the need to have these channels in HD! Regrettably we do not have any say in how the channels are broadcast as it would be a decision that would need to be made from the broadcasters themselves. -Dawn

thanked Dawn, contacted Fox, will update this post as soon as I hear back.

343sj
I Plan to Stick Around

Any update on this? The previous response makes little sense, as foxnews is available in HD in canada on services from other providers.

RogersCilio
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hey @343sj

At this time we have no updates on when Fox News would be available in HD on our network. Feel free to share your suggestions here.

Thank you,

RogersCilio

Once again Rogers is shadow blocking any conservative viewpoints, or at the very least making them incredibly undesirable to access. It makes absolutely no sense that the most popular cable news network would be blocked from HD access in Canada. This not only applies to HD but also as a service provider to view any online content(Shaw is listed). I pay for SD just to receive the channel and can’t figure out why this blocking continues? No clear answer from Rogers or staff on this, after many years! C’mon Rogers, get with the program.

Greetings!

If anyone wishes to have an off-topic discussion regarding Fox News, you can do so safely here: Fox News why not full HD?

This thread is *specifically* for discussion of Fox News in HD. 

Regards,

RogersCorey

TheArcher
I Plan to Stick Around

Fox News in HD today!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@TheArcher 

I believe you may have just supplied some Fake News.  😉  Sorry to burst your bubble, but the quality is obviously not HD (on my channel 181). It's SD (480 x 720) utilizing AFD to fill the screen  (format confirmed in the STB diagnostics).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Format_Description

The same is utilized by some other channels like Juicebox (707), Loud (705), Vibe (704), Retro (703), etc.

User1030445
I Plan to Stick Around

Not HD but at least it isn't in letterbox anymore.  Hard to believe you have to pay a premium at Rogers to watch the most popular HD cable news channel in North America but you get the least popular according to the  ratings for free, that being CNN.  Really there is no contest in the ratings , Fox is so far in front the rest of them added up together don't match Fox in the ratings.   Must be cheaper  for Rogers  to get CNN HD.   I note that CNN pays U.S airports to put up there TV's and programming so maybe they kick something back to a network like Rogers as well where Fox doesn't need them given the popularity in the U.S..   One step at at time ,  maybe full HD is next.

I was initially fooled too! But it sure looks better this way! In another thread I posted I thought that the channel was in HD, but when Rogers run their own commercials in letterbox format it is obvious that the channel is still in SD.  I can live with this and focus on other far right tangents that occupy my head space.

TinyTim
I Plan to Stick Around

In the last few days, the standard definition Fox News Channel (#181 in Toronto) has been zoomed artificially, filling the screen but making it blurry and almost impossible to watch. EITHER deliver the 480i SD in its originating 4:3 letterboxed size, OR upgrade the channel to Fox's 720p HD standard. 

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@TinyTim wrote:

In the last few days, the standard definition Fox News Channel (#181 in Toronto) has been zoomed artificially, filling the screen but making it blurry and almost impossible to watch. EITHER deliver the 480i SD in its originating 4:3 letterboxed size, OR upgrade the channel to Fox's 720p HD standard. 

I'm not subscribed to Ch 181 Fox News, but Ch 183 (CNN SD) and Ch 186 (BNN) are letter boxed SD for me, but currently Ch 184 (CNBC SD) is showing compressed horizontally to 4:3 full screen, which I haven't seen before and can't correct with the # button, only the TV picture settings.  I've been seeing such anomalies from time to time, which later get fixed.

As for zooming letterboxed SD to fill the screen, I do it all the time because I don't as close to my TV to see the pixels (I'm about 12 feet from my 55" UHD TV). But I can see where a zoomed SD picture would be annoyingly fuzzy if you're closer.