cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Channel Not Available Error Message

Leafer
I Plan to Stick Around

Good morning.

I am a Rogers VIP subscriber in Ottawa. Commencing yesterday evening, when I try to access certain channels, I receive a couple error messages. The problem persists this morning as well.

For example, the following is for Channel 41 (RDS):

RDS_SDV
Tuning RDS...

One Moment Please

After about 5 seconds, the message changes to:

Channel Not Available

The channel is currently not available.

Please try again later.

Return to previous channel.

I followed the steps outlined in the Self Service portal, but no luck so I called the Rogers support number as directed (613-516-3819) and was walked through several processes including the complete rebooting of the Digital box from Rogers end.

Despite all our efforts, the problem has not been resolved so a ticket was raised (C27285632) as the customer service rep seemed to think that the problem was definitely a Rogers service issue.

It is important to note that not all the stations subscribed to with my VIP service displays the error messages. Some standard stations are also affected whereas some VIP stations are not affected. Below is a partial list of the stations that I am having the problems with:

11 (CFJP)

35 (TV5)

37 (MPLS)

41 (RDS)

60 (CNLD)

64 (VRAK)

72 (VIVA)

73 (GTV)

75 (SNW)

76 (SNP)

77 (NFLNT)

78 (GOLF)

79 (CNBC)

80 (HN)

82 (ACTN)

83 (DIVA)

84 (IFC)

85 (NATG)

86 (MTIME)

87 (BBCC)

88 (DHC)

89 (DIY)

I do not use a HD Digital box. I am using a Standard Digital box from Rogers (Scientific Atlanta).

Are there others experiencing the same problems or has a resolution been posted?

Thanks in advance.

***Edited labels***

74 REPLIES 74

Re: Channel Not Available Error Message

Yeah, I'm with you. I'm not about to invest a gazillion hours of my time while Rogers pretends to be interested in fixing this issue. Fortunately, the channels that don't come in aren't at the top of my viewing list. And that's probably true for all of us who are having a problem so that might be a clue as to why we can't get them. Maybe Rogers has a way to make sure the popular channels are at full strength while the less popular get what's left. I'm sure not a techie so I'm just speculating. Anyway, I've started looking at Bell Expressview to see how that compares. Dealing with Rogers is just a pain - but then again, so is dealing with Bell. Geez, isn't it great having the CRTC to look after us?

Rog2906
I've Been Here Awhile

I hear you, wilbrich.  Unfortunately, one of the channels that is out for me is one I watch a lot (the NFL Network).

But fortunately, I think I've found an answer.  I'm not sure if it'll be the answer for everyone, but it's working for me so far.

Apparently Rogers has rolled out a technology called SDV, it basically affects how the system operates (I believe in short the system uses bandwidth more efficiently).  Obviously, it can also create problems.

I took the advice provided by user "57" at the digitalhome forum.  I had my box plugged into a surge suppressor.  I now have it plugged directly into the wall outlet.  Apparently, the suppressor can cause the box to not communicate as effectively as it needs to with the Rogers system when SDV is in use.  Here are some links:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=127717

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=95651&highlight=sdv*+issues

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17719

Thanks Rogers for being so quick to respond to your customers, the answer was right here and I didn't have to spend about an hour searching online.  Oh wait, actually I did. Smiley Mad Honestly, how hard would it be to provide an explanation?  These SDV issues have been happening to your customers for months.  It's not like this is a brand new issue.  Why do we have to go to another forum to get answers?  Other companies have support forums where they actually help their customers.  At the very least put it on the Support FAQ on your website.

I know I'm being a bit of a jerk, but it's also some honest feedback.

Good luck solving this issue everyone.  I hope it's as easy for you as it seems to be for me.

Orange
I Plan to Stick Around

My box is plugged directly into the wall, and I can't access On Demand 90% of the time.  I hope your solution works for some, but it won't for me. Smiley Sad

seerah
I've Been Around
I too am having the same problem and have for a month or so. Unlike many of you the channels I'm missing are ones I watch mostly my west coast feeds CTV, GLOBAL, CITY.. 80% of the time they don't come in and when they do it's for a short period of time. I tried plugging it directly into the wall outlet but I'm still getting the dreaded channel not available message. I think it's about time I switch to a different TV provider. They say satellite isn't as reliable...but at least when my channel goes out I know it's because of weather

Tried the direct to wall plug-in thing. No change. Will explore those links when I get a chance. Tks.