cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Channel Not Available Error Message

Leafer
I Plan to Stick Around

Good morning.

I am a Rogers VIP subscriber in Ottawa. Commencing yesterday evening, when I try to access certain channels, I receive a couple error messages. The problem persists this morning as well.

For example, the following is for Channel 41 (RDS):

RDS_SDV
Tuning RDS...

One Moment Please

After about 5 seconds, the message changes to:

Channel Not Available

The channel is currently not available.

Please try again later.

Return to previous channel.

I followed the steps outlined in the Self Service portal, but no luck so I called the Rogers support number as directed (613-516-3819) and was walked through several processes including the complete rebooting of the Digital box from Rogers end.

Despite all our efforts, the problem has not been resolved so a ticket was raised (C27285632) as the customer service rep seemed to think that the problem was definitely a Rogers service issue.

It is important to note that not all the stations subscribed to with my VIP service displays the error messages. Some standard stations are also affected whereas some VIP stations are not affected. Below is a partial list of the stations that I am having the problems with:

11 (CFJP)

35 (TV5)

37 (MPLS)

41 (RDS)

60 (CNLD)

64 (VRAK)

72 (VIVA)

73 (GTV)

75 (SNW)

76 (SNP)

77 (NFLNT)

78 (GOLF)

79 (CNBC)

80 (HN)

82 (ACTN)

83 (DIVA)

84 (IFC)

85 (NATG)

86 (MTIME)

87 (BBCC)

88 (DHC)

89 (DIY)

I do not use a HD Digital box. I am using a Standard Digital box from Rogers (Scientific Atlanta).

Are there others experiencing the same problems or has a resolution been posted?

Thanks in advance.

***Edited labels***

74 REPLIES 74

Re: Channel Not Available Error Message

crash20015
I've Been Here Awhile
It's your cable. Not the box.

Trust me, I'm in the exact same position with everyone here. Located in the basement is where I use my Scientific Atlanta EXPLORER 4250 HD Rogers Box. Sometimes I get certain channels but most of the time I'm missing some like the Comedy Network, IFC, ACTN to name a few. ( incl all of the On Demand channels )

However, my family also have the same cable box and they receive all channels. My dad has his in the living room running from the wall. My mom has hers in the top floor living room running from the wall as well. My brother gets all his channels and his bedroom is on the other side of mine practically next door with a cable running from the furnace room's wall using a splitter with only another black cable running directly into my (other) brothers TV ( he doesn't a Rogers Box though ). Mine runs directly into the wall. No splitter... several attempts have been made to resolve this issue ( My Dad took his Box and plugged into where I had mine initially... only to run into the same issue ) trouble-shooting with the cable-cords, and what not only to come to the conclusion that it wasn't the boxes themselves.

My dad also tried a spare cable he had on him... but because of my location it was put into a splitter that was shared with about 3 other cords ( one of which is the internet which is used by my family on a frequent basis ) so the signal strength wasn't strong enough and I yet again achieved the same results ).

Hopefully this helps.

RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)

Thanks for your help crash20015!

beaumontpete
I Plan to Stick Around

I had a service call scheduled and the day before almost all my channels started to work again.

I cancelled the service call as I thought the problems had gone away.  However, I still cannot access the Call Display Channel (ch. 975).  This isn't a critical channel for me, so I have not rescheduled a service call.

I tried to plug directly into the wall as mentioned above, but it didn't solve the problems with ch. 975.

I would check your signal strength, as well, you may not have any splitters on the immediate wire, but there could be some in the part where the cable enters your house. The older splitters are usually culprits and do not always meet the frequency of the cable spectrum used with the rogers box. plus ive seen them hidden inside walls, celings ,etc.

Be sure to click Likes for those who have helped you!
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s).

Here's a good news update! I finally got around to calling Rogers. They confirmed that both of my HD boxes were not sending a return signal back to Rogers whenever I tuned into an SDV channel. So they sent out a tech. He noted that both boxes did not have an IP address which indicates that there was no return signal (as above). So he checked the cable-in line and found something he called an "air filter" - at least I think that's what he said. It's a small (about 2" long) tube that attached to the cable just before the splitter. He said immediately that that was the problem. This filter was probably added by a Rogers tech years ago to clean up the signal. Before I bought the HD boxes, this was no big deal. But with the HD and SDV era, this filter prevents the box from sending a return signal to Rogers when you tune into a SDV channel. Anyway, he removed it and I'm functioning 100%.

S, if you're having a problem, check for this filter. The tech said that sometimes these are installed outside the house so you may have to look out there. He also said some of the less experienced techs may not diagnose the problem as they may be unfamiliar with this device. Apparently it's no longer used but may still be installed on many cable installations.