cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I Keep My Cellphone Number If Moving Provinces?

Kevin-MacLeod
I've been around

Hey, I plan on moving in the next year or two to another province, but not permanently. I'm wondering if I'll be able to keep my same NPA+NXX+stop if I'm out of NS for 7-10 months.

**Labels Added**

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Can I Keep My Cellphone Number If Moving Provinces?

RogersYasmine

Hello @Kevin-MacLeod,

A warm welcome to the Rogers Community Forum's and that's a great question! Although you won't be moving for awhile, it certainly doesn't hurt to be ready in advance!! 😀

If you currently have a wireless plan that includes unlimited Canada-wide talk & text, then you do not need to change your telephone number if you are moving to an address in Canada that is covered by the Rogers wireless network. You can view our coverage maps HERE.

Although many of our plans come with Canada-wide talk & text, there are a few plans that only include Local/Province-wide coverage. For example, if you are on a wireless plan that only covers specific Provinces and you are moving to a Province not covered by your plan, than you would be required to change your phone number or move to an eligible plan.

If you are uncertain and would like us to check your plan details for you, we'll be most happy to do so! Feel free to send us a private message to @CommunityHelps to get started. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, please CLICK HERE.

Kind regards,

RogersLaura

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Of course you can. Your number works when your travelling in another province so moving there it will work exactly the same. Just be aware that people in your new province who call you including your next door neighbour may have to pay long distance charges cus now when they phone you they sre not calling a local number any more

RogersYasmine

Hello @Kevin-MacLeod,

A warm welcome to the Rogers Community Forum's and that's a great question! Although you won't be moving for awhile, it certainly doesn't hurt to be ready in advance!! 😀

If you currently have a wireless plan that includes unlimited Canada-wide talk & text, then you do not need to change your telephone number if you are moving to an address in Canada that is covered by the Rogers wireless network. You can view our coverage maps HERE.

Although many of our plans come with Canada-wide talk & text, there are a few plans that only include Local/Province-wide coverage. For example, if you are on a wireless plan that only covers specific Provinces and you are moving to a Province not covered by your plan, than you would be required to change your phone number or move to an eligible plan.

If you are uncertain and would like us to check your plan details for you, we'll be most happy to do so! Feel free to send us a private message to @CommunityHelps to get started. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, please CLICK HERE.

Kind regards,

RogersLaura

I'll be joining the RCAF in a few months, which will entail living out of province for at least a few years. I would like to keep my number and area code the same. Is this possible?

Hello @sheffren,

Welcome to the Community!

If you currently have a Canada wide plan you can definitely retain the existing number without incurring any long distance charges as long as there's access to the Rogers network. Please click here for our coverage map. 

However, if you're currently on a province specific price plan you will have to switch to a National plan. You can find the details of your current price plan on MyRogers. Just click on your cellular telephone number under the Overview section. 

Please let us know if you have any further questions pertaining to this :).

RogersZia

Just one word of advice or warning when keeping your number and moving to another province. My brother-in-law did this recently, and although he has a Ontario Phone number in Alberta and can call locally in Alberta in the city where he lives, his friends or his employer when they phone his cell number they unfortunately have to incur long distance charges because they are phoning a number from Kingston Ontario. Yes its convenient for you, but if you expect to receive calls often, especially from people local in the community, you might upset a few, not everyone has nation wide calling or Canada wide long distance. I didn't for the longest time, tho I have it now, I remember paying LD when ever I called my brother in laws kingston number.

Re: Can I Keep My Cellphone Number If Moving Provinces

kevinf2015
I plan to stick around

Question about Billing Address Vs. Telephone # Vs. Plan:

About 4 years ago I lived in Ontario about 30 minutes from Quebec. A friend who didn't have great credit said the plans there were cheaper, and I was planning on moving in with her which also meant cheaper rent, so I was going to create the account under my name. It didn't take but a a few months before the living situation didn't work, and thank whoever she took her number off my account. I moved back to the Ontario side, 30 minutes away from the Quebec address, I have online billing but knows I'm still using her billing address.

The problem is each time I'm looking to do an upgrade, online only lets me send it to the address on file. That person isn't really a friend anymore. I've had the number for years and maybe should have changed it 4 years ago but now I really don't want to change it. If I change my billing address to my Ontario address is that going to cause an issue since the plan I have is specific to Quebec. Of course I'd have my Quebec # but what about the billing address? 

A couple of times I have gone into a store and explained the situation and they've allowed me to add a line or do an upgrade with ID showing my Ontario address. 

The other day I went to add a line and online it only lets you send to address on file. I reached out to chat that said they could send it wherever. They said they'd send the sim card to the Ottawa address but since often I have issues with Rogers, sure enough, I went on chat the next day and they sent it to the quebec address I don't have access to! Luckily they canceled it in time and social media was able to send the sim card to my Ottawa address and I got that today.... but I want to be done with this issue going forward.

Please help!

Re: Can I Keep My Cellphone Number If Moving Provinces

Hello @kevinf2015,

I just wanted to thank you for posting your concerns here in the forums and I'm happy we were able to get your questions answered on the back end! 👍

We hope to see you around here more often as this community is packed full of awesome info and great users that love to share their experiences and help out!

All the best,

RogersLaura

Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 6 in conversation