cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bridge Mode Setup Guide

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hey fellow forum users.  If anyone is willing to help me with this, it would be appreciated. 

I am wanting to make a 'bridged mode setup guide', pretty much one thread, which goes

"smc - how to"
"Cisco - how to"
"hitron - how to"

And would also put in a 4th section, of the alternative of how to set up your own router as just an access point as well.

As i have general knoledge, i havent done the setup myself on all the models, i am asking for your help/input.  Pretty much just step by step instructions, login, this page, change this, reboot... as detailed as possible.

This way we have an easy spot for reference for users comming in to point to - will be requesting it to be stickied at the top of the forum.

---

Yes i understand that this shouldnt be necessary, etc.. they should offer d3 modems, etc.  I dont want to get into that in this thread 🙂  Its more to collectively get this together to be able to help other users with setting it up.

Please feel free to reply here, or PM me with the info.

I look forward to your input.

***edited labels***

193 REPLIES 193

Re: Bridge Mode Setup Guide

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

One of the problems that people are running into these days is whether or not their wired and wireless devices are able to use the higher data rates.  The only solution is to review their specs and settings in conjunction with the router specs and settings and determine the best compromise for everything that you want to use.  There might be faster settings available, but until now, they may not have been needed.  You might also find that some of the older devices simply won't support higher data rates.

Kabes
I Plan to Stick Around
Fair enough but I had no issues with this plan until my old modem went down. I used the same router with the same settings. Which is why I can't figure this out.

Kabes
I Plan to Stick Around
Could you expand on this ...

CGN3 (in bridge mode) connected via ethernet cable to the Belkin router which is running in full router mode (firewall, packet inspection, port forwarding, etc, etc.)

I don't do any port forwarding and havent touched the firewall or packet.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, stupid question just to make sure......when you bridged the CGN3 you went into the Gateway Function tab in the CGN3 and disabled the "Residential Gateway Function"?  At that point after saving the setting, the CGN3 should have rebooted into Bridge mode and you should not have any Wireless transmission LEDs showing at the the bottom of the front LED display?  If for any reason you were still in Gateway mode the 2.4 and 5 Ghz default networks on the CGN3 would be up and running, providing interference for your Belkin network.  That would result in low wireless rates on the Belkin network.  As I said......just checking.

The CGN3 in bridge mode acts solely as a modem.  Cable data in, ethernet data out, and vice versa.  Thats all it does.  That means that the Belkin has be running in full router mode with the firewall enabled, deep packet inspection enabled if you prefer and any port forwarding as well would have to be done by the Belkin.  Most new routers these days come with different operating modes available.  You can run them as a router, a wireless bridge, an Access point and possibly others.  So that requires a read through the manual, in the appropriate section, to ensure that everything that needs enabling for a specific operating mode is in fact enabled.  Each router will have its own specific settings for the various modes although for a full router mode, most of them are common across all brands.

Kabes
I Plan to Stick Around
yes

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

For the previous modem that you had, was it running in bridge mode as well or running in Gateway mode with the wireless disabled.

Kabes
I Plan to Stick Around
hmmm not sure ... I didnt touch any settings, just plugged it in ... the wifi was enabled but it never showed up. I assume just gateway since I never changed anything.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hmm, thats not good.  It sounds like the wifi was running on your previous modem, probably with the default network names and passphrases.  If you didn't have anyone using your wireless, running up your monthly bill, you were very lucky. 

Have you stepped through all of the settings for your Belkin router to enable the firewall, and set up the wireless networks with their own network names (not default), passphrases (again, not default) and security settings.  I'm just trying to determine here if its necessary to step you through the various pages and, set all of the items as required and ensure that your network is secure.  Please don't take this as an insult as there is a very wide range of user capability and knowledge on this forum, and if anyone needs help with setting up the modem or router, I and others here are certainly willing to help out.

My guess is that stepping through all of the setttings will reveal some small detail, like the wireless data rate setting that is keeping your wireless speeds down.

Kabes
I Plan to Stick Around

sorry to mislead you ... yes my network is secured. I just meant I haven't tinkered with the settings like setting up specific MAC addresses, etc

Kabes
I Plan to Stick Around
Based on some other posts I might revert back and leave gateway on and unpn on since that was my set up before. Will post results.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Here is something to check, and that is the transmission mode for your networks, as in 802.11 b, g, n, which is on page 38 of the Belkin manual.  Have a look to determine what it is set for, with n being the highest data rate available.  If you need a greater range out of your router, also set it for the 20 Mhz wide channel.  Whether the CGN3 is operating in Bridge mode or Gateway mode with the wifi disabled, it should not make any difference to the Belkin router.

Kabes
I Plan to Stick Around
my only options are 20 or 20/40 ... had it on 20/40.
went back to CGN3 and now get 30 mbps from my garage where I was getting 8. Not great but never had good speeds on this ipad from here. Macbook sitting beside CGN3 gets 60 or more on wifi whereas hard wired only got 50. For some reason the Belkin and CGN3 don't like each other.

edit - always been on b, g, n

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hmm, interesting results but something here is not making sense.  Your wireless rate shouldn't be above your wired rate, not at these speeds.  At close range the Belkin would probably shift to the 40 Mhz channel width giving you a higher throughput.  What level of service are you presently on?  It sounds like 60 Mb/s but I'd just like to be sure.  I would have thought that with external antenna, the Belkin would be better than the CGN3, as the CGN3 is not known for steller wifi performance.  Just read through some of the comments on the forum to see that.  I would wonder if running a factory reset on the Belkin would be an idea and reset all of your parameters. 

Edit: 

After a little hunting I found a PC Magazine review dated Mar 2009.  That would put the design date for this router around 2007 with a build date around 2008, early 2009.  Those dates could possibly slide back a little further.  Reading through the manual it references Draft 802.11n.  That standard was drafted in 2007 and approved in 2009.  Unless you have updated the firmware, its possible that your router is still running under 2007 draft 802.11n specs.  If there were any substantive changes from draft to final version I would wonder of the possibility of running into incompatibilities now between the Belkin and newer devices.  Food for thought I think.  I think the major consideration is the change in processing capabilities between 2007 and now for router processors.  Like anything else, time and technology doesn't wait for anyone, and although I am loath to advise anyone to spend any more money than they have to, it might be time to consider a newer router with better processing capabilities.  That will depend on what your requirements are for wired and wireless connectivity in your home. 

I still can't figure out why you would see reduced performance with the Belkin, with the CGN3 running in Bridge mode, as compared to your older modem, as the only link between the two is an ethernet link.  Looking back at the datasheets for previous Rogers modems, they appear to have 10/100/1000 Mb/s ports, going back to the SMC modem, so, the data rate between the Belkin and the modem should be the same, unless you were running a very old modem previously.  Its definitely a head scratcher at this point.  Might have to say I'm stumped 😞

Kabes
I Plan to Stick Around

yeah I could check the firmware but like I said it worked fine with the old modem.
Stumped as well.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

What model was the older modem?

Kabes
I Plan to Stick Around
no idea ... had to trade it in

I know I can just setup bridged mode myself. But every Rogers representative I talk to says I have to call them to do it.

So which one is right?

Thanks in advance!

Do it yourself.  If you ever run into problems in bridge mode, do a factory reset using the reset button at the back, and, you're back in Gateway mode once again.

@GaryKing wrote:

I know I can just setup bridged mode myself. But every Rogers representative I talk to says I have to call them to do it.

So which one is right?

Thanks in advance!

Both. 🙂

I think that, once upon a time, some of the Rogers D3 gateways did not have a customer-accessible bridge mode setting, but it was still there and could be enabled by tech support. The CGN2, DPC3825, and CGN3 (which are the only three gateways you should be using) all have a customer-accessible bridge mode setting...

MRC390
I've Been Around

I'm sure most of you know that the wifi modem that rogers supplies us with has terrible wifi signal/strength.

If you're wondering what i am talking about it is at the link here:

http://www.rogers.com/web/link/modems

It's the second one on the list 

(Wi-Fi Modem2)

I heard that you can connect or "bridge" routers together for increased strength or better signal. I was wondering if anyone could explain this to me? I have another Dlink router with antenna and I was hoping for better signal upstairs in my house ( The router is located downstairs in the basement)

So if someone could explain to me how to bridge my routers together i'd be greatful. Thank you.

JohhnyRockets
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Not only do their customers know about the poor wifi on the Rogers gateway modems, but Rogers is well aware of it too. They even have all of the instructions available on-line for bridging their modems. Based on your link and description, you would follow the instructions for the CGN2. Hope this helps! http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal?Ntt=bridge+mode&_nfpb=true&N=&_pageLabel=support_results

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats