cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alert Ready

Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor

Alert Ready, the national emergency alerting service, went live April 1.

How is Rogers implementing this system?  There's nothing on the website about it that I can find.

***edited labels***

156 REPLIES 156

Re: Alert Ready

barndoor
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@rookie_2468 wrote:
 Does this explain why it is so loud. They don’t know where you store your phone. It is loud by design. It is loud by necessity.

No ...I have my phone set so I can feel it or hear it where I carry it . There is no need for extra volume  and the alert tone is distinctive anyway  so it is easy to tell that it is an alert . 

I will check further to  see if I can adjust the volume  but so far  if the alert setting is on ,on my phone I can't set it to just vibrate like @57 , I can only change the duration of the siren is all I can find.  The alternative  would be to shut alert access off on my phone  ...and what help would I be then ?

If everyone puts their phone on vibrate for the alerts  ....what is the point of the extra volume .

barndoor
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@OLDYELLR wrote:

I'm not sure that having your phone on vibrate will mute those amber alerts.

I'm not sure either  ... but on both my phone and a friends phone that I looked at if you go into settings  you can set certain parameters to the alerts . On his phone same as @57 he could set it for just vibrate for alerts . For me ,volume was not an option , I either get the siren  or I shut the alert capability off  completely . 

Ed28
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi folks. New to Rogers.
We just had an 3 amber alerts in a matter of minutes and that’s not an issue. I tried to turn down the volume a bit and found my remote was completely disabled. I could not change channel or adjust audio. I also lost audio half way through each alert. Once the alert cleared ( I figured out you cannot clear off the alert after the third alert) the tv channel returned but each time the alert cleared, I had to reboot my tv box because the picture was frozen. Is this normal?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Ed28 What is the make/model of your Rogers Box? Normally hitting the exit key on the remote for most boxes will end the alert and you're returned to your channel.  There should be no need for a reboot. (some older boxes do not respond to the exit key press)

Harria5
I've Been Around

I always receive 2 Amber Alerts. The first one is always in English and the second is English and French. Usually a half hour or more apart. I am not here to complain about receiving these alerts but once is enough especially in the middle of the night. The second one usually comes right as I am falling back to sleep. Does anyone else have this experience and what can I do to only receive the first English message? My wife and kids are in the same Rogers plan but only I receive 2 alerts.

Ed28
I Plan to Stick Around
Xi6-T model - TX061AEI

Cable companies and ISPs have no control over the look and sound of the alerts.  They are governed by a separate document.  As for the times of the alerts, cable companies and ISPs also have no control over the time of day that the alerts are raised and promulgated to the public, and no control over the number of times that they are broadcast.  

Just to note, the issue of the alerts has been raised several times previously.  Only recourse I suspect is to complain to your member of parliament.  I don't believe that will result in any action unless there are a significant number of complaints to the various MPs.

Just to note, the alerts themselves are also a technical issue and challenge, as companies have had to come up with solutions that result in older equipment receiving and displaying the alerts.    Much of the equipment in use today by average consumers is much older than the creation date of the alert system, so, having to shoehorn the alert system onto older generation equipment can cause less than optimal results.

Fwiw ......

Like the recent poster.. I received them on my IGNITE box as well.
This was a different one than what we got last time on it.

Prior, was able to hit exit and would allow to clear the message.

This time, it did take over the whole box as stated by the other user.  Was not able to do anything while it was up.  Full screen red background with white text and text to speech voice reading it out.

Our box did recover though afterwards.  It was playing a recording when it came up, and had dropped us back to the recordings screen (where you choose what you have recorded)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Ed28 wrote:
Xi6-T model - TX061AEI

It is really sad if the Ignite service doesn't allow you to "exit" from the alert.  My 9865 and 4290 boxes on digital cable allow me to hit exit and end the klaxon and alert.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Ed28 wrote: I tried to turn down the volume a bit and found my remote was completely disabled. 

If the remote is directly controlling the volume on your TV or AVR, then the volume control should work. If the remote is controlling the volume via the STB, then that may be "frozen out".

Topic Stats