why won't rogers address nextbox 3 problems

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

why won't rogers address nextbox 3 problems

After years of using the original pvr I purchased a used nextbox 3. It sidn't take me long to realize that the programming was a real mess. Looking in the forums it becomes apparent that rogers has known about these problems since they released the pvr but have yet to fix them.

Finding recordings is difficult because the system insists that articles are important - all programs that start with "the" are grouped together.

I have to fast forward to the end of a program to be able to delete it.

Resume doesn't resume where I left off watching but rather a some random spot earlier in the recording.

I can't record a series when an episode is currently being broadcast.

The unit stops responding for many seconds at a time then suddenly responds to all the buttons that were pressed.

You can't go "up" to get to the earliest episode recorded in a series.

These are just some of the issues I can recall. The old original pvr wasn't perfect but I didn't find myself questioning the competence of its programmers every time I used it the way I do with the nextbox 3.

*Edited Labels*

I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: why won't rogers address nextbox 3 problems

I am guessing you are coming off a pre nextbox 3 pvr, maby the scientific atlantic ones.

If you read some of the very long threads on new nextbox (search for it), you will see all the reported issues and what was done.  There remained issues that were not addressed.

There was supposedly a small upgrade to come by September, but I have not seen any - it was reported on the blogs of this forum.

With the move to Ignite in the future, I doubt we are going to see any further changes to the Nextbox Navigatr software.

It is basically what we got left with, but be glad you didn't have a netbox 2 back 3 years ago, or the 3 either.  We lived through a pure programming disaster for a long time.

You could report a concern via your MyRogers, but would not likely lead to anything.

The Navigatr software implementation would be well described as the  largest implementation failure I have ever seen from Rogers.

Bruce

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@GaryDale wrote:

1. Finding recordings is difficult because the system insists that articles are important - all programs that start with "the" are grouped together.
2. I have to fast forward to the end of a program to be able to delete it.
3. Resume doesn't resume where I left off watching but rather a some random spot earlier in the recording.
4. I can't record a series when an episode is currently being broadcast.
5. The unit stops responding for many seconds at a time then suddenly responds to all the buttons that were pressed.
6. You can't go "up" to get to the earliest episode recorded in a series.

@GaryDale : Some of the issues that you report are not normal.  Perhaps a reboot or two of the unit will get things working properly.  Here are my responses to your points.

1. You should be able to sort by last date first. This may work better for you than alpha.  When in the list use the "B" or "C" buttons to change the way the sort is shown, etc. See the top right of the screen when in the list.  You can also press the list button repeatedly to see your recordings and your recorded programming alternatively.

2. You should be able to hit "stop" and have the delete option come up.

3. Resume will resume in the appropriate spot if you're more than 2 minutes into the programme and you press pause before exiting the programme.  If you don't hit pause, then it often won't remember.

4. You can only set series recordings for future programming.  The recording functions are limited to the current programme when watching the current programme.  Believe it or not, you're the first person that I recall who has brought up this deficiency.  I guess other people just wait until that programme appears in the future to set future recordings.

5. This can happen when the unit is busy doing other things like perhaps downloading the IPG, starting or finishing a recording, etc. If it doesn't respond to the first button press, do not press any more buttons and it should recover faster.  Also, if you keep pressing buttons, the unit can sometimes get confused and reboot, so don't press any buttons if the unit doesn't respond.

6. You should be able to press the up arrow or page up to go "up" to the last recording.

I'm assuming you're talking about the Nextbox 3 model 9865. If you're in Atlantic Canada or one of select places in Ontario that use Motorola equipment, please disregard my comments.

Here's a summary of known issues and workarounds with Navigatr firmware boxes:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-rogers-cable-tv-hd-pvr-discussion/202473-cisco-9865-nb3-0-also-n...

I've Been Here Awhile

I don't have figures for how many nextbox 3s there are but I understand the 4 is essentially a 3 upgraded to support 4k. The programming should be similar so fixing one should fix the other. Given that most of the PVR owning customers use them, it would be a marketing blunder to drop support.

Or they could just open-source the software so that people could get it fixed themselves rather than waiting for the obviously underskilled programmers behind this disaster to fix what they produced in the first place.

There is also a lot of great PVR software available if Rogers would simply stop treating its customer's like criminals and let us use it instead of the locked-down garbage they sell.

Or they could just use it directly and keep their secrets in a binary blob like some video card and network card companies do. Why are they wasting resources and frustrating customers by foisting garbage on us?

Finally, why should they even be legally allowed to stop updating massively defective software?

And yes, I actually still have two of the older Scientific Atlanta boxes. They are hard to find parts for but both still work. No way would I replace them with a Nextbox after my experience with the 3. I need the extra recording channels and disk space, but not on more than one box.

I've Been Here Awhile

With respect to your comments:

1. You should be able to sort by last date first. This may work better for you than alpha.  When in the list use the "B" or "C" buttons to change the way the sort is shown, etc. See the top right of the screen when in the list.  You can also press the list button repeatedly to see your recordings and your recorded programming alternatively.
That doesn't work within a series. However the problem I was specifically referring to was seeing so many programs whose name starts with "The" listed together when the more natural way would be to list them as <program name>, The or <program name>, A etc..

2. You should be able to hit "stop" and have the delete option come up.

The delete option comes up but deleting fails. It will only work if I go to the end of the program or switch to another program then come back.

3. Resume will resume in the appropriate spot if you're more than 2 minutes into the programme and you press pause before exiting the programme.  If you don't hit pause, then it often won't remember.

Exactly the problem. It should remember where it was in the program no matter how it stopped. If I hit stop or turn the PVR off, it should save its current state.  I can forgive it losing track after a power outage but saving the position isn't rocket science in other cases.

4. You can only set series recordings for future programming.  The recording functions are limited to the current programme when watching the current programme.  Believe it or not, you're the first person that I recall who has brought up this deficiency.  I guess other people just wait until that programme appears in the future to set future recordings.

The Scientific Atlanta units treated record as the start of the process. Then you would decide whether to record the single program or the series. The Nextbox 3 bizarrely use the select button to take you to the channel you are currently watching rather than to bring up the record option as it does for future programs. They could have avoided the issue by using the Record button to bring up the record dialog. I guess that with all the other problems, not being able to set the recording for a program you were auditing is a minor annoyance. However since a lot of programs are weekly, it means that you have to wait until the next day to record the series you watched.

5. This can happen when the unit is busy doing other things like perhaps downloading the IPG, starting or finishing a recording, etc. If it doesn't respond to the first button press, do not press any more buttons and it should recover faster.  Also, if you keep pressing buttons, the unit can sometimes get confused and reboot, so don't press any buttons if the unit doesn't respond.

That would work except that the Nextbox isn't very responsive to the remote. Sometimes it doesn't respond because it didn't get the signal and other times it is busy. I don't know which is which until it eventually responds. The older boxes sometimes missed signals too, but not to the same extent as the nextbox.

6. You should be able to press the up arrow or page up to go "up" to the last recording.

That works in the whole list but not within a series.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While i dont have an NB3 anymore (moved to ignite), #2 is NOT normal operation.   And I had 2 of them since day one, and never had the issue.   This may be something more specific to your box.
Same with #5.
Compared to the NB2, which was pretty much always unresponsive, never really had that on the NB3.  once in a blue moon when the box needed a reboot, but generally otherwise it was completely fine.  Both with the regular remote and the RF remote as well.
Some of your issues may stem from the box itself.. or something else (signal, etc related).

All that being said, YES, while in some ways the software is slightly better than the previous incarnation..
It was still very BADLY implemented.   
I think the problem is that the hardware isnt/wasnt great to develop for.

But at this point.. i dont think they are going to spend a whole lot of time/$ on it, other than basic fixes and some things to change over say for new features (new services, etc).
They are going to slowly try and push people over to IPTV, as its the way most other services seems to be going (bell fibe, etc).  The platform is much better made and done.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

For 2 and 6, it works for me. Perhaps a reboot will get those items working for you.

We all know how the unit should work, but what we're talking about here is how it does work. That's why I developed the list in the link in my first post.

As for being responsive to the remote, my 9865 responds instantly to all command, unless, on occasion, it'll be finishing or starting a recording and "busy".  Perhaps your remote is not working well, or needs new batteries, or you have an IR interference issue as discussed in the following link:  Some  units are more susceptible than others to stray IR.  What I'm saying is that delays with the 9865 are not normal - mine normally responds as fast as I can press the buttons.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/14-hdtv-high-definition-television-including-lcd-plasma/64463-your-...

As stated by @Gdkitty we are unlikely to get new firmware to address many of these issues because IgniteTV is here and Rogers will be concentrating on that.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Good thinking 57

Been a while since have dealt with someone with IR spray issues.. completely forgot about it.
It might completely be most of the remote issues.
As I remember it was a much bigger issue right when the box came out, seemed to be a lot more susceptible to it.

I've Been Here Awhile

It could be that my TV is opposite a window but I notice the unresponsiveness even when the blinds are closed and at night. There is no direct line from any part of my TV to the front of the Nextbox so it couldn't be the TV. The room is normally somewhat dark (only a single 60W equivalent bulb and the light from my fish tank).

I use rechargeable batteries in my remotes and they normally have a slightly lower voltage when fully charged but keep the voltage far longer than other batteries.  I don't think it's been too long since I recharged them and I have noticed the problem almost from day 1 when I got the box. In fact I had it below my older box and that would sometimes turn on when the Nextbox didn't.

I'm a Senior Advisor

FYI : Voyager Vantage, the software underlying the current Nextbox software, is end-of-life, according to Cisco and is past the final date for maintenance releases.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/video/videoscape-voyager-vantage/eos-eol-notice-c5...