whole home PVR

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: whole home PVR

You might have to argue to get it free again.

There are two parts to the whole home.. part of it yes, if you move and bring boxes with you, wouldnt have to be done again.  There is a update to the software on the boxes, to allow the whole home.

But a part of it, is something the tech would need to come out and do regardless... which is were part of the $50 comes from.

Depending on how the cable is laid out/split... its not just that it gets signal to all TV's, they have to be set up sort of grouped together so they can communicate back and forth.

As well with this, they install whats called a MOCA filter.. this prevents your boxes from talking to boxes outside the house, and vise versa.

As for if its worth it?  That will vary from person to person.

With whole home, you dont necessarily need more than one PVR in the house.. where i hear people have two, one for him, one for her.. but you then have to watch the shows in that one room where the pvr is.
With whole home, can watch it in any of the rooms, regardless of where the pvr is.

I Plan to Stick Around

I've been considering switching to Rogers Cable from Shaw Direct because I am interested in the Whole Home PVR, but the negative things I've been reading are causing me to rethink this.

Now, I know if I read a Shaw Direct forum I would see lots of negative things being said about problems people are having, and in the 17 years I have been with them I have had very few problems, so I guess it's more of a case of the only people posting are those having problems and that there are many many people happy with their WHPVR? (as an example, I read a lot of negativity about Rogers Internet, but I went with it anyway when they got the 250u and I've been nothing but happy with it!)

Like everyone else, I just want something that works. I am somewhat tech savvy and I can "tinker" if I have to, but I'd rather not.

So what I want to hear, I guess, is that generally it does work, but like anything else, there are a few who do experience glitches and that's just the nature of technology.

Now to a question - I read somewhere that you can't have the internet and the WHPVR coming from the same outlet because there will be a degradation of quality. I really want a tv in my computer room (where my Rogers modem is, and I want it to stay there) and it sounds like that might not be possible? BUT I do have 2 coax coming in to the room from my Shaw Direct mulitswitch - so I'm thinking that one of those coax could be switched from the multiswitch to the Rogers splitter (or whatever is used to connect the cables going to each tv). Would that work?

Switching to Rogers Internet was pretty painless as there wasn't much involved, but I'm a bit nervous about switching to their cable since it's going to be such a big change and I just want it to go well.

***Edited Labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok.. it sounds like your setup, MIGHT be ok.
With the TV, in the whole home setup, it does have to be segrigated, and you dont want the internet on the same loop.
BUT if each of the connections, has its own feed down to where the connections that come in, they should be able to be split seperately, before the TV loop.

----

Personally, i find it always hard to read reviews anywhere.. you are 10x more likely to read NEGATIVE.. so every service may seem bad.  Many forget that there may be 1000's or 100,000 others which are completely fine with it.

I have had whole home, just about from the begining.
Now.. i dont use it EVERY day, not a HEAVY user by any means.
But, i have had next to no issues with it, that some others have experienced.

BIGEST thing.. is SIGNAL.  Something you really shouldnt have to do too much for.  The person in, should be setting it up properly and ensuring it.   But assuming each of the outlets has a good signal to it, that should greatly reduce the # of possible problems.

I've Been Here Awhile

After the 49.99 hook up fee is there any monthly fees besides your normal pvr rental? I own 2 of the 3 boxes(Netbox 3.0 @ 2 and  a HD4k box rented) so i should be good to get hook up just the fees is sketchy...

Thanks

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@tuftsy :  There are no (additional) monthly fees for WHPVR, just the equipment rental/payments you're already making for your various boxes.  Most people even manage to negotiate the technical visit fee for free, depending on your negotiating skills and the various services you have with Rogers.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks, just wondering if worth switching now or just wait for Ignite in June or July....Have seen it work and looks amazing!! Plus equipment is high quality not the usual cheapest equipment wins scenario(thanks to Comcast)... Will see if can get install waived and then will switch but if not will wait for IPTV...