standard definition terminaland HDTV

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

standard definition terminaland HDTV

I have a standard definition digital terminal from Rogers, which I am using with an SD TV. Now I wnat to upgrade to an HDTV. Can I keep the digital terminal or do I have to upgrade that too?

I know that with the SD terminal I can't get 1080p out for my HDTV and I'm fine with that, I'll be mostly wathcing movies from a Blu-Ray player or my WD Media Player.

Also, my new TV does not have a coax cable input so how will connect the SD terminal to the HDTV?

Thanks in advance for the help.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Rogers Employee RCee
Rogers Employee

Re: standard definition terminaland HDTV

Hi PSG, 

the answer is yes you can have an SD Terminal with an HD TV but as you stated you wont get the high definition.

with the COAX issue, you will connect the COAX to the terminal and use the RCA cables (red,white,yellow) to connect to your tv.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Assuming it is a FULL SD terminal.. yes you should be able to connect it still to the TV.  (Vs the more recent DTA50s.. they ONLY have a coax tv cable connection).

All of the full SD boxes, should have the COMPOSITE video connections.  Which is the yellow RCA video connection.  Then the white/red audio connection.

You would have to check your HDTV, to see how/where this connection connects.  (EG: i have a TV where it doenst have one by default.. but you connect it to one of the composite connections, then change a setting to change that one over).

If you are more than happy with it, the quality, etc.. your set! Smiley Happy

Some people find that they DO finally notice the difference.. my mother did definately, and then stepped up to an HD box.
This generally.. will cost more money rental (or even more, if you BOUGHT/own your SD box)
But might be worth a shot calling in.. depending on your services, how long a customer.. they may be able to give you a deal/combo pricing, and might be able to get you a free rental on an HD box Smiley Happy

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thats unusual that new hdtvs do not have an atsc coaxial connector any more. Wow but they should still have composite rca connectors tho

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You would be suprised at that Pauly.

I dont remember if its this one, or my previous smart TV.

It did have a basic composite on the side, the quick access plug in sort of thing...  on the main BACK.. there was primarily only the USB, HDMI, etc.. and an headphone audio jack connection.. which then had an adapter with the composite, etc on the end of it.

I'm a Senior Advisor

My Samsung Smart TV has a coax input labelled "ANT IN AIR/CABLE".  How would one connect an OTA antenna?

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The samsungs have a coax. (though some other brands may not)

I should have said more clearly, i was refering to pauly, that some TVs its harder to find a composite... some barely have component.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OldYeller, connecting the antenna is probably the easiest part. Assuming that you had an OTA antenna mounted somewhere, part of the antenna assembly would include a 75 ohm transformer. You would attach an RG-6 cable (which has a 75 ohm impedance) to that transformer and then connect the other end to the tv "ANT IN AIR/CABLE" input. The TV should have an ATSC tuner onboard which will allow it to receive digital over the air tv signals. In the Input setup or control section, you would have to set the input type to antenna, or OTA, not cable as the channel assignments are different from what I remember. After that, set the tv to auto scan the channels and it should detect the digital tv channels. The antenna will make a huge difference. Something like an old UHF loop antenna for example will be very directional, so its possible that the scan might not detect a station that you know is nearby. There are some very good antennas on the market for this purpose and it will depend on where you are located and where your target stations are located that will determine what antenna is best suited. Here’s a few links that might help:

http://www.saveandreplay.com/

http://www.otacanada.com/cgi-bin/ota_index.pl

http://tvfool.com/

The TV Signal Locator is useful for showing stations that are within range from your location.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=81

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Datalink that's what I assumed. When I select "SOURCE" on my smart TV, the first item is "TV", which gives me snow from the unused coax connector because my cable box is on HDMI1. Not living in an area with many OTA channels available, I've never experimented with a digital antenna.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks all for your responses.

It turns out my new TV has a coax cable input ... BestBuy's page was just wrong on that topic.