slower than the usual slow response for nextbox

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: slower than the usual slow response for nextbox

@TJP1942 wrote:

I have a netbox 3 with VIP and recently when changing channels it is unbearably slow.It goes from channel to a black screen for a while and then to selected station.What is wrong.This has only been a recent issue, it was always fine before.

Several people have reported sluggish response on the 9865 (NB3).  Mine was terrible tonight. I did a reboot (Settings-up-Troubleshooting) and in 5-6 minutes I had my zippy 9865 back.

People more familiar with electronics than I have reported this as some sort of memory leak in the firmware, or similar.  Regardless, a reboot should usually fix the issue.

I've Been Here Awhile

Seriously, not here. Last night (Feb 26th) we had to reboot our NextBox two times just to get to the point where we could record an upcoming program. The new Navagatr was released without full testing in my opinion. It is much harder to read from a distance and on a NextBox 8642HD it is extremely frustrating with regard to responce time. Rogers should give us the choice of going back to the previous version. I was fine with it.

I pay Rogers way too much money per month to have this happening and they had better fix these issues or I see a mass exit from their service. I am seeing complaints not just in this forum but an many others, people are very angry about this. Rogers should just swallow the pill, apologise to the customer base, go back to the old interface until the new one works properly.

I'm not a Rogers basher either. I actually have been very happy with their service over the years. I've been a customer since 2007 on Cell (4phones), TV and Internet. This situation however, is unacceptable.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As has been discused in some of the other threads as well.. likely the chance of going back to the old guide (at least exactly to it) may not be likely.
The cisco cable box division has been sold to another company.. and they no longer will be developing the software for it.. so no more fixes, etc with anything that moves forward... so it something breaks with other say back end changes.. quite possibly no way to fix it.
So there is a new developer for the newer boxes.

All that being said... Yes.. the current group hasnt done much good either Smiley Tongue

So i think the most we can expect.. is for a FIX or change to the current stuff..

The software is definately NOT optimized to run the 8642 boxes.

I agree that it possibly should not have been rolled out for those boxes.

In the end.. that would be the better strat in my opinion.  Yes, sure you can keep the older boxes, the older software, etc... but with the understnding of... that say when new features come out (say stuff like when the SHOMI access through the boxes came out, things like that), that they they may NOT work on the older software.. and if you wanted access, may have to go to the newer, etc.

Anyone who RENTS a 8642.. and can get their recordings anywhere near all viewed.. i would definately recomend going to the 9865 box.  Doesnt have the same speed issues.  

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the quick reply Gdkitty. I'll look into the 9865 box. They should upgrade me at no cost.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As long as it is a RENTAL unit? Yes, there should be no cost difference between the two.

The 9865 specs are much higher.. comparing it like a computer, its processor, memory, etc.. is much higher than the 8642.
The new guide it VERY fast on mine.

It also has 8 tuners.. so you can record up to 8 things at one time. (less scheduling conflicts)

It at least makes some of the fustrating changes a little less fustrating as you can get there quicker Smiley Tongue

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Gdkitty wrote:

As long as it is a RENTAL unit? Yes, there should be no cost difference between the two.

The 9865 specs are much higher.. comparing it like a computer, its processor, memory, etc.. is much higher than the 8642.
The new guide it VERY fast on mine.

It also has 8 tuners.. so you can record up to 8 things at one time. (less scheduling conflicts)

It at least makes some of the fustrating changes a little less fustrating as you can get there quicker Smiley Tongue

Looking at the hardware rental costs, I no longer see the 8642 offered, just the Nextbox 3.0 PVR, a Nextbox HD Terminal and the Nextbox 4K Terminal.  I would think a customer would have to do some negotiating to have a NB2 rental replaced with a NB3 at no increase in cost.  Rogers must have a warehouse full of the NB2 doorstops. They could even be repurposing them as HD Terminals, relabelled, with the hard drives disabled.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm an Advisor

Hello @OLDYELLR,

This is a brilliant idea - the 8642s are so slow with Navigatr. They should disconnect the HDD, drop the price and offer DTA-50 users first crack at a reduced price.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Some stores must still be handing out the NB2.  I have a friend who had to replace her box (8642HDPVR) after the last Navigatr roll-out and she was handed another 8642.  Now she had been on a rent to own plan and it had just finished less than two days  when this happened.  Could be that had something to do with it.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@jays77 for sure. I was just going by what was Rogers is showing on the website. I remember when my daughter and her husband decided to go from a cable terminal to a PVR and a fancier package a few years ago. At the time I'd been reading all about the Nextbox on the forums and presumed that was what they were getting. But when I saw it, it was a SA8300HD. In retrospect, they didn't know how lucky they were! Later they cut back to basic cable and an Android box to save money, but they  kept the 8300.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm Here A Lot

I have one of the newer nextboxes 3 and am having issues with slow response times. This is the second time this has happened in a short while. It becomes so that changing a channel is an excercise in futility and aggravating. Is this being looked into? Would appreciate a Rogers person to respond.