slower than the usual slow response for nextbox

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: slower than the usual slow response for nextbox

I'm having the same problem with my Cisco 8642 PVR. Sluggish and takes a few seconds to change channels etc.. I'm disappointed Rogers hasn't done anything to help those who have purchased the box, like me. I refuse to purchase or rent another PVR from Rogers. I'm paying too much as it is.
I'm a Senior Advisor

At this point in time, the reality is that the Nextbox 2 and 3 digital boxes and pvrs are out of production and have been for coming on two years now.  The most recent firmware and IPG interfaces from Cisco and Espial are from May and June of last year and were only minor.  The first rollout in June 2015 was a disaster, they had to stop it, but those who did get it in some locations were stuck with it.

Next major upgrade which still had major issues was December2015/January 2016.

Next major upgrade was in November/December 2016.  After that there has been only minor fixes.

There will not likely be anything else put out on these boxes as they move towards the Comcast IPTV model to come later this year, while maintaining the old boxes for an undefined period of time.

So, you are right, the boxes are mediocre at best, very underpowered for the upgrade they put on it starting back in 2015. But unfortunately, we are stuck with them as is.  If you are lucky enough to have a nextbox 3 or 4, they perform reasonably well, but if you have the earlier boxes, demands a high level of patience at times.

I learned recently when I added an extra box to the house that all they had available in digital/non pvr boxes were the 8642 (nextbox 2), and fortunately I don't pay for it under a short term deal, because I would just do without it and live with my DTA and limited channel set.

So as to the question some asked= are they listening - I would say probably they are being read, but no point in even passing the concerns upwards because there is nothing can be done.

If you happen to be renting and you have problems, you can go to the store and replace and hopefully you can get a nextbox 3, or the 4k(but that costs money), do try for a 3, not a 2.

Or take a look on an online Internet sales place and find one for sale, but make sure you confirm that the box is owned by the person, not stolen - Rogers can check the serial number and confirm that it is legitimately available for sale.

Ahh the life of Navigatr.  Someday, it will no longer be in my face anymore and it can't come too soon.

Bruce

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Peter_os wrote:
I'm having the same problem with my Cisco 8642 PVR. Sluggish and takes a few seconds to change channels etc.. I'm disappointed Rogers hasn't done anything to help those who have purchased the box, like me. I refuse to purchase or rent another PVR from Rogers. I'm paying too much as it is.

As reported in this and other threads, the 8642 is very slow with Navigatr and was even slow before that.  You can complain to Rogers about this and they may give you a "free rental" of a 9865, which is perfectly serviceable.   Use the Community Helps people - how to contact explained in the link below:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-rogers-cable-tv-hd-pvr-discussion/150244-whole-home-pvr-whpvr-ont...

I Plan to Stick Around

I have a netbox 3 and it is plenty slow.  How much more does the netbox 4 cost to rent?

I Plan to Stick Around

The boxes are not the issue in my opinion. It's the new user guide Navigatr that is causing the problems. The constant updates bog down the boxes. The old user guide didn't have as many graphic images but was far better and didn't cause the box to crash all of the time.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Yup. The old guide would have suffice in my case, but there is no way to revert back to it. It's frustrating.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@1234444w43 wrote:

I have a netbox 3 and it is plenty slow.  How much more does the netbox 4 cost to rent?

The Nextbox 3 (9865 should not be slow). Mine reacts as fast as I can press buttons for most functionality (play, FF, Guide, etc).  Try a reboot and make sure your iHDD is not more than say 60% full because a full iHDD will slow things down, especially the "list" functionality.

The costs are outlined in the following link:

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/tv/hardware

Although the Navigatr firmware made the 8642 worse, it was plenty slow with RTN. Now, if you were one of the select few who still had SARA on your 8642 and were recently "upgraded" to Navigatr, then that would explain a huge difference in speed.

I've Been Around

Receiver Slow Response time

I've got  a Cisco Explorer 4642HD NEXTBOX rental with my new cable account!

To navigate the guide and change channel it's painfully slow. There is a 1-5 second delay everytime I press a button until it does something.

Is this an issue with my signal or an issue with the box. I'm just thankful that my 2 year contract is up in a few months because I am ready to cancel my service

I'm a Senior Advisor

Call in and have them check signal.

More likely box but could be both. These boxes are notoriously slow compared to the next box 3 9642 I think. But to get that box it will be an upgrade cost.

For the last year they have been giving out the 8642 and the related PVR version with PVR functionality stripped out. The box version has been underpowered for navigator interface from day one.

Some people have managed to get free short term upgrade but no promises.

Bruce
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@BSwrote:
1. These boxes are notoriously slow compared to the next box 3 9642 I think. 
2. For the last year they have been giving out the 8642 and the related PVR version with PVR functionality stripped out. 

1. 9865

2. 8600

Yes, response on the older boxes 4642, 8642, 8600 is pretty slow.  Try a reboot to see if that helps.