screen freezes on nextbox recording playback

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: screen freezes on nextbox recording playback

This is my third Nextbox PVR in the last 18 months. I am having the same problem with the screen freezing partway into the play back of a recording. The whole box freezes up solid and I can't even shut it down. I have to pull out the electrical cord at the back of the unit which then causes the box to reboot.
The only thing Rogers could do for me so far is to keep replacing my PVR box. This causes me to lose all my recorded programs which is not good!
I see from the label at the back of the box that all of these boxes have been manufactured in Mexico.
Rogers need to do some quality control on this equipment and change the country of manufacturing to either Canada for the US!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rothenmund:

It's actually quite rare that there is a problem with the box itself and you're not going to change the place of manufacture.  Often, the issue is with the signal strength in your home or in your neighbourhood. Call Rogers and have them check that signal at your home/neighbours, which they can do remotely.

A reboot is usually a good idea. Exchanging the box may provide a temporary fix, but does nothing to solve the problem long term when there is a problem with the signal, which is the issue with a huge number of the posts/threads in this forum.  Also, check out earlier posts in this thread to help diagnose your issue. (I have an earlier post in this thread which can help pinpoint the problem.)

I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you 57 for your suggestion of having Rogers check the signal coming into my house. I shall get in touch with them to do that.
I Plan to Stick Around

Not sure how you can say the freezing is rare when I see posts all the time. You would think that Rogers may change suppliers in light of this.

I have been having the freezing problem on occasional shows ever since we finished our "rent-to-own" agreement for our Next Box. When it happens, the box tends to freeze in the same place in the show after we reboot etc. Seems suspicious that it never happened prior to the end of the agreement.

I will try a reset and see if that works. Is the hardrive replaceable? Can you use an external hardrive in its place?

Thanks!

I've Been Here Awhile

I have already replaced my Rogers Nextbox PVR twice so this is the third unit that I have and the freezing problem persists. I have been told by Rogers that my recorded programs cannot be saved also that an external hard drive cannot be used. The Rogers Nextbox PVR by Cisco obviously has problems and perhaps it is because they are manufactured in Mexico. In any case, Rogers needs to address this problem as it has been and is continuing to be happening way too many times!
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rothenmund what does being made in Mexico have to do with anything? Cisco is an American Company, the hardware was designed and engineered in America to Cisco Standards. Where the final product is manufactured doesn't matter, as it's build to a certain standard set by the Designer. Regardless not everyone has freezing issues, think of how many of these boxes are being used, a few reports here is nothing compared to almost every Rogers Cable Subscriber that is using a Cisco Box.

But to the main issue, after multiple hardware swaps the issue still persists, that would lead me to a signal/local issue, not a PVR\Hardware issue.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dalziel66 wrote:

1. Not sure how you can say the freezing is rare when I see posts all the time. You would think that Rogers may change suppliers in light of this.

2. Is the hardrive replaceable?

3. Can you use an external hardrive in its place?

1. I said that it's rare that the STB is the problem. I did not say freezing was rare, but that it's usually a signal issue.

2. Yes, you can replace the iHDD, but it requires special tools and knowhow.

3. No.

As mentioned by @gp-se above, after multiple replacements, it's obviously not a hardware issue.  It's almost always a signal issue as I mentioned in my earlier post.

I've Been Around

We have had the exact same issue. Started within a month or two before or after we finished our rent to own. 🤔
I Plan to Stick Around

I finally bit the bullet and got a new PVR. I wanted to do the rent to own again but was told I couldn't. Apparently Rogers doesn't do rent to own anymore because of too many compliants about boxes dying after the rent to period is over. So I am stuck renting again from Rogers until I decide to cut the cord. They should be a little nicer to their long term customers, but I guess, being a monopoly, they really don't care.

By the way, it was not a signal issue. We have a non-PVR that never had signal issues and the new (actually refurbished) PVR works fine as well.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dalziel66 wrote:

By the way, it was not a signal issue. We have a non-PVR that never had signal issues and the new (actually refurbished) PVR works fine as well.  

Different equipment can require different signal levels to work properly. The NB3 9865 typically requires the highest signal quality to function properly.  Let's see how long this refurbished unit functions before celebrating. 

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M422...