screen freezes on nextbox recording playback

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: screen freezes on nextbox recording playback

I'm not celebrating "57." I am kind of peeved (original word changed by profanity filter) that Rogers will only supply customers with refurbished PVRs instead of new ones. I lost a bunch of recorded stuff when the last PVR bricked. I hope it doesn't happen again.

The least Rogers could do is provide customers with new, not previously broken, product!

I'm a Senior Advisor

At the moment Rogers has no new set top boxes of next box 3 PVR and down. Out of production for over three years now. Since the rent to own offers stopped. Don't know if there are new 4k boxes available still. The future for Rogers is Comcast and iptv and by end of 2019 it is rumoured that all will be iptv and the current model. Then we see if they can compete on a full iptv model and wherever OTT is going to be. Me I still see me eventually going OTT and digital antenna after they push end of my rate discount.
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi BS,

Can you clarify some of the terms you used? "Comcast," "iptv," "OTT." Not exactly sure of the meanings of those acronyms.

Thanks!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dalziel66 :

Comcast - a cable company in the USA.

IPTV - Internet Protocol TeleVision.  The technology that Bell Fibe uses that has several advantages to regular Cable TV.

OTT - Over The Top. Services that are streamed, like Netflix.

https://www.acronymfinder.com/

I'm a Senior Advisor

@dalziel66 wrote:

I'm not celebrating "57." I am kind of peeved (original word changed by profanity filter) that Rogers will only supply customers with refurbished PVRs instead of new ones. I lost a bunch of recorded stuff when the last PVR bricked. I hope it doesn't happen again.

The least Rogers could do is provide customers with new, not previously broken, product!

Well, unless you're the first tenant to rent a newly built apartment, you'll always be moving into a renovated one. The rent-to-own deal was a good one because it got you a 3-year warranty instead of 2 and worked out cheaper than renting, but that was a special. Rental boxes have a perpetual warranty, so unless yo get a beat-up, smoke impregnated one, you really have nothing to complain about. But I do remember when the Nextbox 3 was introduced there was a high turnover, boxes being returned and "nothing found wrong", so they were just repackaged in shrink wrap and foisted off on the next sucker. The problem could have been the box or the constantly changing firmware. But as BS already mentioned, the technology and box suppliers is changing constantly and stocks run out. Last week I went to the Rogers store to replace a lost remote and was given the latest RF/IR Champion one, which lacks some features the old one had.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm Here A Lot

Had a technician in for work on my cable. I mentioned the freezing programs on the Nextbox and he said, it's the machine and no cure. This model is subject to this kind of failure. On looking through information on the pvr, apparently it is wide spread. Like kind of a defective pvr. Kind of annoying. I had the old Scientific Atlantic and it lasted almost 8 years before it died. This one not even 3 years. I don't know if there is a new pvr available for rogers that isn't 4k. I don't know that I want to spend more on buying another unit if Rogers sells defective units.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I think it is all blind luck. The old SA8300, I rented back in the day.. and I had to replace it every 1.5 ish years or so :( Which exact model do you have? If you have the 8642, there is the newer nextbox3 (the 9865), which is actually a much better box. If you have 9865, the only newer is the 4k units. One big issue, is that cisco has dropped out of the TV market, and are not providing any more updates, new, support for any TV boxes. You cant 'buy' the boxes anymore, at least from rogers. If a retailer had them you might be able to.. or buying a used one (but thats a risk in itself too for how long it may last). Only rent. As rogers is trying to move everyone over to the newer IPTV based Ignite service. MAJOR advantage this way, is that the PVR itself is moved away from being hardware at your end that can fail, to a cloud based. But ignite is not necessarily for everyone yet. It will eventually in some number of years the only main choice.. but right now can be MORE expensive for some to change to.

I'm Here A Lot

Yeah it's the 8642. And I guess I'm stuck with renting a new over.  I don't have ignite tv either and not aiming for cloud based until Rogers offers unlimited at a reasonable rate. Right now it's too expensive.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Here are my comments.

1. The 8642 is quite old.  If you look at the manufacturing date, it's probably almost 10 years old.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/8642HD-really-SLOW-is-this-normal/m-p/416264#M45267

2. You can purchase a 9865 used (Kijiji?) for about $125-150.  A lot cheaper than paying rent.  Here are the caveats:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/37-rogers-cable-tv/64632-guidelines-selling-buying-used-rogers-term...

3. Some of the techs are pretty lazy and often point at the box as being the problem. I'm not saying it's not, however, the signal at your home or in your neighbourhood is most often the problem and not the box.  This is especially true if you're having other issues like poor access to some (SDV) channels, or ROD programming.  Call Rogers and have them check the signal in your home and neighbourhood.  Here's a post on that topic:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M42...