screen freezes on nextbox recording playback

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

screen freezes on nextbox recording playback

I recently got a nextbox 3.0....recorded some programs and started to watch one last nite...10 min in to it the screen froze up..stopped it and tried to resume play and it froze up at a different time. tried rebooting several times but it keeps happening.when i want to resume play of where i left off it takes me back to the beginning again.anyone else with these issues?

***Edited labels***

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: screen freezes on nextbox recording playback

What is your output set to.. 1080p? if so try droping it down to 1080i

I Plan to Stick Around

I tried ALL the various settings, 1080i, 4:3, 720 and it is crashing so often many recorded programs are missing chunks! What is happening here? Thanks googols in advance!

I've Been Here Awhile

I am having the same issue.

I'm an Advisor

Hello @gouldid,

I had this issue in the past, and it was caused by a failing/bad hard drive.  Is this happening to ALL your recordings? If yes:

-  Have you tried deleting all recorded content? There could be corrupted recorded programs.

- Have you tried performing a factory restore of the cable box? To do this:

-- Press"Settings" button on the remote.

-- Press up arrow on the remote to highlight "Troubleshooting".

-- Press "OK/Select".

-- Press right arrow on the remote, then "OK/Select" to perform the factory reset.

Try recording your content again.  Is it still pausing/skipping/freezing? If so - you might need to visit a Rogers Plus store and ask for a replacement cable box.

Remember: The recorded content cannot be copied or moved to the replacement box.  You will loose all recorded content if you choose to replace the box.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gouldid:

You didn't explain exactly what was happening, but here's some feedback in addition to what @robindp has already provided.

If this is only on one recording or on an occasional recording, then it may have been due to a poor signal while the programme was being recording.  Usually the issue would be at the same place (or places) in the recording.

Alternatively, if it's only affecting the occasional recording, there may have been a hiccup during recording and again, the glitch would be in the same place(s) in the recording.

If it happens a lot and in different places in the recording, then as mentioned above, it could be a hard drive failure. 

If it happens a lot, try simply rebooting the box before doing a factory reboot or taking the box to be replaced.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the feedback.

We have rebooted several times in the past couple of weeks. Sometimes the PVR reboots on its own!

We did delete all of the content and a factory restore, maybe a year ago. So, that may be the answer ... again.

A few shows that freeze on us cannot be deleted because as soon as we try to delete them, it freezes again.

I'm an Advisor

Hello @gouldid,

Please go ahead and perform the factory restore to see if it helps. If it does not, you probably have an equipment/hardware (hard drive) failure.

Have you contacted Rogers at 1-888-ROGERS-1 to see what your options are? (is the cable box under warranty and can it be replaced at no cost?). 

I Plan to Stick Around

Has anybody else experiencing freezing on PVR playback again???

Seems to have reared it ugly head again.

I've Been Here Awhile

We ended up returning the Nextbox and getting another one. We got tired of the freezing and reboots did nothing to help.