my rogers HD picture quality keeps getting worse -- is "-1" a good signal strength?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: my rogers HD picture quality keeps getting worse -- is "-1" a good signal strength?

hi guys, first time posting. i live in richmon hill and the past several weeks i have noticed the hd chanels quality have gone quite soft. tons of macroblocking/pixelation etc... from my understanding it's not a signal issue because it doesn't freeze or cut it. i'm getting all the chanels but they're just not sharp anymore. if i call rogers tech support, can they do anything or is rogers just further compressing their already compressed signals??
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: my rogers HD picture quality keeps getting worse -- is "-1" a good signal strength?

Hopefully they aren't, That's one of the reasons they are getting rid of analog, so they have more room and don't have to.

When our street here was having signal issues, we had the stuttering, but also pixelization. While it may not be it, still could be signal.

Over the phone they can check the basic signal strength, but getting a tech out can check in more detail.

Could quite possibly be something else but with eliminating it Smiley Happy

I've Been Here Awhile

I have just gone to Rogers from Bell ExpressVu and the picture quality is not even close. Any movement at all creates a moire and the picture breaks up. All signals fine, looks like data compression of some sort. Anyone else notice this? Did not have this effect with satelite.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

May depend on what your watching.. seen it ocassionaly on a few things, but never regularily.
Might depend on the feed.. wiether its a 720 or 1080 feed, etc.

My neibour who just moved in on bell, looked at our rogers, and said it was much clearer than his bell... so may all depend on the show, and even location.

I Plan to Stick Around

If you have one of the new NB3 PVRs make sure you have it set for 720p or 1080i and NOT 1080p.

I've Been Here Awhile

I have tried every configuration and feed set up 720, 1080i, 1080p, hdmi and component, picture settings..... Also begs the question, how come I never needed to do any of this crap with my Bell box. It was crystal clear from day one until the day I pulled it out thinking it was a good idea to have all my stuff with one provider. What a mistake.

There is no comparison. I can walk across the street to my friends house who is using Bell satellite, watch the same program, on the Bell box I gave him, on the same model TV I have and it is not even close. He has already asked if I am taking the box back.

Service has been out three times.

Rogers knows their transmission is not near as good as Bell. The techs know it. When you call and mention the problem, they have "never heard of it" right, what a joke.

Guess I will have to eat the fees and go back to Bell or put up with this crap until my contract expires.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Have you had a rogers tech out to check signal, etc?

Beyond that... i am guessing the rogers infrastructure in that area.. is poor Smiley Sad  which could cause overall quality issues, etc.

(again, as i posted in one of my posts above..mine is much better quality than my neibours bell satalite (he even had a newer model of the same brand of tv than me).. but i am also in an area with GOOD rogers infrastructure, and bell tends to be really bad).

How long ago did you sign up?  My understanding, there wasnt contracts anymore, on the the bundles..

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Never even thought before that cable HD might be worse than satellite HD... I cannot compare to bell as I have not seen it for a long time but I can tell for sure that I stream Netflix on my 1080P TV with a bit better picture quality than on my 1080i cable... Maybe I am moving closer to ditching cable TV and use just powerful OTA and netflix.

I Plan to Stick Around

thats what most people do now a days, they stream everything online for movies and tv shows and for local channels they have the OTA....hey it works great I too watch a lot of Netflix on my HD tv and the quality of the HD movies are way better then cable,

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You cant really compare netflix HD movies, and something regular on cable.. the recording/production values, are different.

You can only really compare, apples to apples.
The same show, on cable vs the same show on say netflix.. and compare the quality that way.

Topic Stats