my rogers HD picture quality keeps getting worse -- is "-1" a good signal strength?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: my rogers HD picture quality keeps getting worse -- is "-1" a good signal strength?

This thread needs to be rekindled.

The compression on Rogers is just pathetic at times.

Watching the Jets game on SNP tonight was an exercise in frustration. The pixellation was shameful and distracting and made it very difficult to even enjoy the game.

I would have been happier watching the game on a Sega Genesis.

They should really be ashamed of themselves. Just because most people don't know better isn't reason to rip them off.

It's like realizing you're getting watered down gas at the pumps.
I'm a Regular

Re: my rogers HD picture quality keeps getting worse -- is "-1" a good signal strength?

Hmmm, I was just about to post a new topic asking if anyone else has noticed an "improvement" in picture quality recently? There are still a few channels that are really bad with a ton of MPEG "blocking" noise (AMC, HGTV, Show Case, and a few others) but I've noticed a significant improvement recently with other channels, particularly the lower channels like City, CTV etc...really sharp, clean, and little to no compression artifacts. I wonder if it's because of all the freed-up bandwidth with the analog shutdown? I hope the other channels I've mentioned above get a boost in quality soon!
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

In our household.. primarily the channels watched are Disney Jr, HGTV and FOOD.

I dont have ANY issues with pixelizing/artifacting on HGTV at all.

That MIGHT be an indicator, that you are having signal issues/interfearance in the frequency range that THOSE channels are on specifically.

I'm a Regular

No issues here - signal levels are great 🙂  I don't get any "pixelation" or interference on HGTV, but there's a TON of macroblocking with fast-panning camera scenes.  Static scenes look fine.  The blocking isn't as apparent on the 32" we have in our bedroom, but it's very noticeable on our 50" Viera.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not seeing that here either.

I wonder.. what is your refresh rate on your other TV?

I got a newer Samsung, which is suposed to have the emulated 120 refresh.. i found it caused issues like that.
Putting back into a forced 60, it went away.

I Plan to Stick Around

Is it a plasma Viera? If yes you have your problem right there.