my rogers HD picture quality keeps getting worse -- is "-1" a good signal strength?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

my rogers HD picture quality keeps getting worse -- is "-1" a good signal strength?

I have a Rogers 8300HD DVR.  A few years back, all HD channels were brilliant, near blu-ray quality.

A couple years back I started seeing a lot of digital artifacts, like little blocks of pixelation on things that move.  At first only on on fast moving things (like the fast atomic animations between scenes on Big Bang Theory).  

Recently I'm seeing distracting digital artifcats on anything that moves, like people's talking faces or people walking across the screen.  It's very distracting, and when I compare to the HD picture quality on Netflix or Apple TV downloads, there's no comparison.  My rogers picture quality just keeps getting worse.

I checked the 8300HD's "info" screen and indicates my signal strength is "Level: -1". My understanding if this number should be between -10 and 10.  Can anyone tell me if "-1" is a reasonable value, or should it be higher?

Any suggestions for fixing this are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

SL

***Edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: my rogers HD picture quality keeps getting worse -- is "-1" a good signal strength?

theres nothing you can do to improve it, the signals are being compressed at the source by rogers thus the artifacts.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: my rogers HD picture quality keeps getting worse -- is "-1" a good signal strength?

Maybe the cable to your home has been deteriorating or water leaking into the rogers box etc.. You could always have a service call and maybe they will find a signal issue...

But as Pauly says they have been compressing more and more..

You'll never get bluray quality though as Rogers is 1080i and bluray is 1080p (twice the rez)
I've Been Here Awhile

I had a Rogers technician visit and he said everything is working perfectly.  Great signal, no noise.

I showed him a recording of some shows with the ugly pixelation, paused in on blurred faces, showed him the fuzzy transitions.  All he said was "You'll never get it 100% clear".

I told him the picture used to be perfect a few years ago, and it's been getting progressively worse as years go by.  I told him I'm assuming that the picture is being compressed at the source, and he confirmed that what I'm seeing is what I'm supposed to be receiving -- that is the picture quality I can expect.

Very sad.  Rogers HD picture quality is getting to be just awful.  I can get excellent picture quality from Netflix or iTunes.

I can see all these flaws on my 46 TV, I can't imagine how crappy it must be for people with 60" screens and bigger.  I don't know why Rogers doesn't want to offer the best picture quality in the business.

SL

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Rogers changed their compression a long time ago so I'm not sure why you are just seeing this now. Having said that, their picture quality is still better than Bell or Shaw satellite. Those two compress in such a way that the end result is a lot worse than Rogers. One thing you may want to do is play with the settings in your TV. If it is LCD or LED, play around with things like the motion setting. The other thing you may want to do is to Google the "soap opera effect". Most TVs do this today and the result is very much what you are describing.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, i know my signal in my place, can have some ups and downs (old wiring) and its boosted to MOSTLY correct that.

But on an HD feed, on a new 47" LED, HD content is clear with no issues here.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I do get digital glitches from time to time, some channels worse than others. I do not have a booster.

About 4 yrs ago I was having tons of troubles like how you are describing an it turned out to be some rogers part down he street... Once they tracked it down and replaced it all was well, but over time these things break down with the weather and all.
I've Been Around

Bell Satellite is way better picture on my TV than Rogers HD. I've both on the same TV and the difference is outstanding. Especially Bell's movie channels, almost Bluray quality versus Rogers pixelated, choppy, grainy HD.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Sunnytheseal

I will agree with you on that!. I have Bell Satellite and Rogers cable in the same house. I prefer Bell tho. Better HD and better channels. You will have others post that bell is not worth it and such but they always do that and make Rogers look good when its not true. Rogers doesn't even seem like they want customers to have real HD.
I Plan to Stick Around

I have to totally Agree with you Meowmix,

The quality of the picture is beyond words, and it is a difference like day and night between Bell and Rogers, there is definetely no comparison, and your right, many people on here will say the contrary and make this big fuss that it is not true and so forth and so forth, but those of us who do have it know the difference... I am sick and tired of saying this, but Rogers will never change for the better, and they will never be up to date with the technology that others have been offering for a few years now...