more UHD content

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

more UHD content

Are there any concrete plans in motion for launching additional UHD 4K content?

At the moment the only worthy UHD content is through Sportsnet and TSN, and even with these channels there is not enough daily content in true UHD.  The other channels, while nice filler, are not rich in content.  The amount of programming and its quality on Stingray Xite 4K, Stingray Festival 4K, Rogers 4K Entertainment, and Rogers 4K Movies is rather poor.

Further to this, we must may extra in order to receive Rogers 4K Movies, which is rather unfortunate if we've already invested into a 4K television and PVR.

The adoption of UHD seems to be slow at the moment and I wonder when networks such as CTV, CBC, Global, City, and TMN will launch their services in UHD.  Might be quite some time since there are still some broadcasters that are not able to offer complete HD content, let alone UHD.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: more UHD content

Other than the channels that Rogers owns directly, this is not an issue for Rogers, but rather for the individual broadcasters.

As you say, a significant portion of (new) programming is still not available in HD.  I'm also surprised by this since I purchased my first HDTV in 2001, 16 years ago!!!  I don't believe it'll take as long for most content to be 4K, however, a lot of cameras and equipment will need to be replaced before 4K becomes the norm at a cost of billions of $, even with the decreased cost associated with electronics.

Individual programmes are already available in 4K on YouTube for example, where anyone with a 4K camera can upload a programme.

For broadcast (OTA) TV, there is not enough bandwidth currently for 4k signals.  Most OTA TV is still 720P or 1080i.  This is unlikely to change for years.

For channels (like TSN for example) that don't "broadcast" OTA, then it's possible to supply 4K via fibre to the various service providers or OTT, so this is likely where you're going to see the fastest uptake of 4K.

I suspect that although the number of 4K TVs is growing rapidly, it probably still represents perhaps only 1-2% of the market.  A much larger percentage of the market is still watching in SD!!!

Although 4K is certainly "better" than HD, the difference is not as huge as the step was from SD to HD.  Many people are probably quite happy with their HDTVs and only once those TVs fail will they purchase 4K TVs because that's all that will be available, similar to today when SDTVs are rare (if even available).

There's also a large number of SD and HD set top boxes in people's homes.  It'll take many years for those to be replaced with 4K.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

My 4-year-old 50" Smart TV just died, so I got a new 55" 4K UHD Smart TV.  I can view a few 4K movies on Netflix, but i wish Rogers would dedicate a channel for 4K demo content. Not knowing what 4K cable would look like certainly would not inspire me to pay for a 4K subscription.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR wrote:

...i wish Rogers would dedicate a channel for 4K demo content.

Isn't channel 999 a 4K demo channel if you have a 4K STB?

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @OLDYELLR

Channel 999 is dedicated to 4K. They preview 4K shows on there. You need either the 4K STB or the 4K PVR box to do so.
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Okay, that explains it. When I select 999 on my SA8300HD I get:

Not Authorized To order 4KTV service blah, blah, blah...

My TV is okay, but the STB is not capable.  Maybe in a few years when a lot of channels are 4K, we have IPTV and my 8300 is a door stop.  But maybe cable TV will then also be obsolete .

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario