downloading content from a nextbox pvr

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: downloading content from a nextbox pvr

@Gdkitty wrote:

There is no way to download from the box itself (say in a digital movie format, etc).  Everything is encoded.

The only thing you could do, is plug the output of your PVR into a recording device of some form:
- DVD writer
- Capture device for the computer
- VHS

You would need to go out of the component (3 cables for video and 2 audio) for more HD, and composite (single video and 2 audio), into the recording device.

Then its pretty much press play on the playback device, and record on the other.

All that being said.. you will need to do this before you cancel rogers, as once its canceled, the box will not boot back up, and be able to work to play the stuff back.

There is no obvious way to do this with the Nextbox PVR and I'm not even sure it would work. There was some discussion about this years ago. The SA8300 PVRs do have this function, called "Copy to VCR" and I've used it, but it takes place in real time, so a 1-hour show takes 1 hour and you have to monitor the process.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You would do it pretty much the same way.. it just doesnt have the specific output for it, etc.

You connect from the PVR to your recorder (then to your TV) or to your capture device.

You start playback from the PVR.. and you just record it.  Your recording the stream which would normally be played out to the TV.

It would be real time as well.

I've Been Here Awhile

There's a reason you can't do this. Copywrite Protection. Why do you feel the need to download and watch on computer. Seems fishy to me.

I've Been Around

Good morning

I know that I'm replying to a very old post but I'm wondering about the last two lines of your message which state "The only solution I can think of is the copy the shows you want to keep either to DVDs or VHS if you have either DVD-recorder or VCR. I frequently copy my recordings from PVR to DVDs so if anything happens with PVR I won't loose my recordings.

Since I think your original response was to someone with an older Rogers PVR, can I do this with a Nextbox ? If so, how ?

Thanks

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Depends on which nextbox you have, etc.

Its based on the OUTPUT.  You cant copy in full HD from the HDMI, as it follows the HDCP protocols to prevent doing just this Smiley Tongue
But most of the boxes have some other forms of output.  Component, composite, etc.
Those should all be recordable via those outputs.  But will be dependant on WHAT your recording TO.
A VCR is likely to only have composite, and only record in SD.  Some DVD recorders might have component.. but are still only going to record in 480p max
Using some of the record to computer devices, you might be able to get full HD recording though, through component.

As for how.. its just like old school VCR to VCR recording.  You set the recorder up on the OUTPUT from the PVR (then to a TV or the computer screen so you can see whats going on).  Then start playing back the recording, and then hit record on the recording device.  The recording will happen in REAL TIME.

I've Been Here Awhile

If you have a nextbox 4k? Forget it. Since its only HDMI output only, you have 0 chance. If you have a Nextbox 3 or lower, You could use component or composite or RCA to get it done, but it will be garbage quality. But here is my question. Why do you want to download it to your computer? Or record onto a physical media device when Rogers provides a hdd that can save in 4k quality? Are you trying to pirate the material? Sell it? Seems awfully fishy to want to do this.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

No offence, but the TV industry has been gearing towards this way for a while and eventually PVR will be a thing of the past every thing will be on the cloud, if u want to download recorded content in the future, it will be much harder. 

Society has told the industry to do this. Everyone wants technology to be simple, but when something new comes out, something else has to be let go, so apparently all the big companies are letting go of allowing you to extract or copy recordings from their devices to your own devices, pretty soon this will not exist.  THe way the industry is going, they do not want people to physically own a copy of the movie or tv show, they will only let people "watch or stream" it from their home tv and when your done, delete it and move on. 

But yes if you really want to copy the show and archive it, then you can invest in a device called a hauppage dvr, it connects to component output ,which even though its analog, its still an hd signal and can archive it into a digital mpeg 4 file for later playback on your computer.    everything else like archiving to a dvd recorder or vcr is possible, but its in standard definition and sometimes broadcasts will have a copyright signal embedded which will forbid you from attempting to record. not your fault. its the industrys fault.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@booger36464736 wrote:

If you have a nextbox 4k? Forget it. Since its only HDMI output only, you have 0 chance. If you have a Nextbox 3 or lower, You could use component or composite or RCA to get it done, but it will be garbage quality. But here is my question. Why do you want to download it to your computer? Or record onto a physical media device when Rogers provides a hdd that can save in 4k quality? Are you trying to pirate the material? Sell it? Seems awfully fishy to want to do this.

Yes, saving 4K video as 480 SD seems ludicrous.  But you can even do it with a HDMI splitter and a HDMI-composite converter. Before I had a PVR I used a couple of VCRs and a DVD-R to save shows for watching later. Since I've had my SA8300HD PVR I've used the DVD-R maybe 2 or 3 times to copy shows from the PVR, usually to pass on to friend or family. It's a laborious task in real time most people wouldn't bother with.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario