downloading content from a nextbox pvr

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: downloading content from a nextbox pvr

How exactly would you go about with this process.(i.e. what do you connect and to what)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It looks like the only "consumer friendly" way of doing this is to buy a standard definition DVD Recorder, connecting it to your netbox, and press play on the recording and pressing record on the dvd player at the same time, provided tbe broadcaster has not embedded copy right protection into the recording, it should work.

I Plan to Stick Around

I have a number of TV shows recorded on my Nextbox 3.0, how can

I transfer them to a Western Digital My Book 3TB HHD for keepsake?

The HDD has cable end with USB 3.0 connector + its own electric cable adapter.

If it is possible which are the necesary steps to record those shows on the HDD?

Thank you

I'm a Senior Advisor

You cannot copy shows from your PVR to another HDD because they are encrypted and will only play on the PVR. The best you can do is record them real time to a VCR or DVD recorder.  The old 8300HD is designed to do that and Rogers at one time had an on line video how to do it. The Nextbox 3.0 does not help you do it, but if you can't figure it out, someone else here may be able to help you.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I've Been Around

Along these lines, I have 2 Explorer 8642HD PVR's that I own and have quite a few shows recorded on them. We are possibly transferring to Bell for all our needs. I was wondering if we will still be able to watch our shows off the units even though we would no longer be customers of Rogers.

I'm a Senior Advisor

The only sure way I know of saving shows on a PVR without a cable account is to copy them to DVD while you're still with Rogers. Copying takes place in real time, so that could be q big project.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@Rising wrote:

Along these lines, I have 2 Explorer 8642HD PVR's that I own and have quite a few shows recorded on them. We are possibly transferring to Bell for all our needs. I was wondering if we will still be able to watch our shows off the units even though we would no longer be customers of Rogers.

Try disconnecting the cable and see if you can still watch the shows.

But if you power cycle, then NO, based on thread were a customer took them to a cottage and they would not boot without a cable connection.

See here:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

I've Been Around

Can some one explain how to do this exactly? I have nextbox. I switched to bell but I am not cancelling rogers yet as my son appeared in a competition on TV and that show is on the pvr. I don't want to lose that recording. Its just one episode I need to copy. Please help! 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There is no way to download from the box itself (say in a digital movie format, etc).  Everything is encoded.

The only thing you could do, is plug the output of your PVR into a recording device of some form:
- DVD writer
- Capture device for the computer
- VHS

You would need to go out of the component (3 cables for video and 2 audio) for more HD, and composite (single video and 2 audio), into the recording device.

Then its pretty much press play on the playback device, and record on the other.

All that being said.. you will need to do this before you cancel rogers, as once its canceled, the box will not boot back up, and be able to work to play the stuff back.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Gdkitty wrote:

There is no way to download from the box itself (say in a digital movie format, etc).  Everything is encoded.

The only thing you could do, is plug the output of your PVR into a recording device of some form:
- DVD writer
- Capture device for the computer
- VHS

You would need to go out of the component (3 cables for video and 2 audio) for more HD, and composite (single video and 2 audio), into the recording device.

Then its pretty much press play on the playback device, and record on the other.

All that being said.. you will need to do this before you cancel rogers, as once its canceled, the box will not boot back up, and be able to work to play the stuff back.

What GDkitty said is correct.  If you stop and think about it for a second, the cable companies PVR is designed for people to watch a Television show at a "Later Time" than it was originally aired.  It was Never Intended to be used ti permanently archive your shows for ever or to give you the option to download them or extract them to other devices. They know it cant be done easily that is why when you ask them how, they are not going to give you a straight answer because its not in their best interest to educate you how to do that.

If you think about it, the new ignite sytem has a "Cloud PVR"  so there is no storage ie hard drive at your location recording the shows, they are on the cloud which makes it even more challenging for you to extract them and keep them for personal use. 

Now don;t get me wrong, just because its challenging does not make it impossible to extract the recordings and archive them permanently, it just means its a little more complex than the average user would know about, so usually more skilled people are able to do it. Yes you would have to invest in some kind of recording equiptment such as a Standard Definition DVD Recorder, or VCR, you can also invest in High Definition video capture devices or video cards and use the software to record the video feed onto a digital file on your computer. 

HOW you want to achieve this is totally up to you and determined by how much you are willing to spend on this. but we can give you advice if you need. thanks1