downloading content from a nextbox pvr

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

downloading content from a nextbox pvr

can i download recorded shows from my nextbox pvr to a usb key or another portable device?

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: downloading content from a nextbox pvr

Hello Davezolis

No you can not. Someone asked about this & it does'nt work. You can only do it on a HDD extender. The USB is just for  HDD extender.

I haven't heard anyone able to do this as the Software may not allow it.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

I've Been Here Awhile

thank you for your feedback... sorry, does this mean that I CAN download content to an external device then? doesn't have to be a usb... what is an hdd extender? i'm just wondering if there is any way to take a recorded show and download it off of the pvr - so that I can watch it on my PC, etc...
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Davezolis

No it does not. The HDD is another Hardrive you can just record shows on & watch it ONLY on the boxes. You can not plug them into a computer or anything else & watch them.

There is no way to do so with the new NextBoxes. Here is a quote from one of the links i posted.

"Unfortunately there is no way to transfer your existing shows either to external hard drive or to the new Nextobox 3 PVR as they are encrypted. The only solution I can think of is the copy the shows you want to keep either to DVDs or VHS if you have either DVD-recorder or VCR. I frequently copy my recordings from PVR to DVDs so if anything happens with PVR I won't loose my recordings."
I've Been Here Awhile

ok, that sucks, but makes sense... thank you again!
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Davezolis

It does suck but i guess they want to protect the recordings / shows from going out there for free. Hopefully this changes sometime!

You are welcome!
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While some people have said they have got the drive to be viewable on a pc and see the files.. they are encyrpted, and not able to play back.

(pretty much all companies PVRs are the same way, bell, etc.  Trust me, my boss just tried Smiley Happy )

Also with the rogers units.. when you plug in a drive as an extender... it actually set it up as a STRIPPED drive.. as in were it takes the internal and the external, and the rogers box views it as ONE large drive.
Any recordings, could be have data split being stored on both and internal and external.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Gdkitty

That is correct. Most PVRS are not able to do this. Most if not all files are encrypted so there is no playback on any machine other then the PVR.
I've Been Around

Haven't seen an answer for this but can I download from a pvr using a usb stick and put it into my regular next box digital rogers box to view recorded shows? It looks like there is a USB port on the front of both units.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

no you can not

plugging any device into the usb  port, will try to EXTEND the hard drive (if a pvr) over the size of the hard drive and what was plugged in USB.

Moving to another unit, would cause it to re-try to format the drive..

If you want to play back from another box in the house, you can get the whole home PVR setup.

Topic Stats
  • 27 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 13 in conversation