digital adapter controlling my TV

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: digital adapter controlling my TV

I have the following comments:

1. I believe that oldyellr has a Seiki TV. Not exactly a name brand TV and the reason he can't get the remote to work with his TV is because that TV's code may not be included in the Rogers remote(s) instructions.

2. I believe the Rogers remotes that come with the set-top boxes (STB) have more codes for TVs than the remote that comes with the DTA.  You may wish to take the DTA remote to a Rogers store and exchange it for the more complex remote that comes with the STBs - this is usually done at no charge, but call ahead first to make sure.  Note that not all TVs are in the Rogers' remotes, so even the more complex remote may not have the particular code for your TV.  You can usually go to the URCSupport website to check to see if the code for your TV is available and find out what that code is.  URC make the remotes.

http://www.urcsupport.com/index.php?mso_id=225

Find your remote, click on "click here for device codes", type in the make/model and you should get a code.

3. The codes for the Rogers boxes are all the same, so what works with one, should work with another.

4. A few posts back someone mentioned an analogue box. There is no such thing on Rogers system - only digital STBs.  So, if a remote worked with a previous STB, it should work with any subsequent STB or the DTA.  As for the remote with the "large numbers", the instructions for that remote should include how to programme it to work with the Rogers STBs/DTAs.  The code may be listed under a varity of names - Rogers, Cisco, Scientific Atlanta, etc.

Many "universal" remotes are not really designed to control several devices at the same time - for example to turn the STB and TV on/off and control the TV volume. They control only one device at a time - so you have to turn the STB on, then press the TV button to control the TV. The Rogers remotes can be programmed to do both, but many people don't read the instructions..

5. People need to consult the operating manual for the remote so that it is set up properly to turn the TV on/off with the STB and to control the TV's volume.  If they are uncomfortable with this, they should get Rogers to do it for them, or call Rogers and the Rogers CSR will talk them through the necessary steps.  This will work for the vast majority of TVs, but not ALL of them.

6.  Whenever Rogers delivers a new STB or DTA to your home, have that technician set up the remote properly and try it out for yourself. Do not let the technican leave until you're satisfied with the functionality.

7. As mentioned previously Rogers are dropping several analogue channels every month or so. The channels in the range 29-100 have been greatly diiminished and many are now only available with a STB/DTA.  Although Channels 2-28 are still available in analogue without a STB/DTA, even those will be gone in the next few years.  All other providers (Satellite, IPTV, etc)  have always required a STB.

Hope this helps.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You can try on this site here

http://www.urcsupport.com/html.php?page_id=736

And see if your particular TV has a specific code for the remote.  (will need to know the exact model of the TV)

And follow these intstructions:

1. Turn on the TV.
    NOTE: Please read steps 2 to 4 completely before proceeding. Highlight or write down the codes and device you wish to program before moving on to step 2.
  2. 2.Press and hold SET until the RED Light blinks twice, then release SET..
  3. Locate the code for your device in Manufacturer's Codes on the back of the user guide or in the lookup below. Brands are listed in alphabetical order with the most popular codes listed first.
  4. .Enter the first five-digit code for your TV. If you perform this procedure correctly, the Red Light will blink twice.
    NOTE: If you enter an invalid code, the red light will display one long blink and exit the programming mode. Repeat steps 2 to 5 with valid code.
  5. Aim the remote control at your TV and press Power once. The device should turn off. If it does not respond, repeat steps 2 to 4, trying each code listed for your brand until you find one that works. If it still does not work, try Searching For Your Code.

IF that doesnt work.. you can also try:

Searching For Your Code

If your brand of TV does not respond to the remote control after trying all of the codes listed, or if your brand is not listed at all, try searching for your code.

1. Turn on your TV.
  2. Press and hold SETuntil the Red Light blinks twice, then release SET.
  3. Enter in 9 - 9 - 1. The Red Light will blink twice.
  4. While pointing the remote control at the TV and press and release the CH + key until the TV turns off. (Note: You may need to press [CH+] numerous times).
    NOTE: In the search mode, the remote control will send IR codes from its library to the TV.
  5. Press SETonce to lock in the code. The Red Light will blink twice.

If none of that works... you might be out of luck.
ANY universal remote.. while it will try to have as many codes, etc as it can in it, its not usually able to have them ALL and there will always be some TVs they dont really work with.

I'm a Senior Advisor

This is quite common. There are a lot of TVs that the DTA50 remote won't fully control. I have 2 flat panel TVs using the DTA50, a 22" Seiki and a 32" RCA. Neither one can be turned on and off using the DTA remote, so we have to use both remotes. However, since the DTA remote is vary basic, it lacks many functions the TV remotes have, like aspect ratio, switching inputs, etc., so you need both remotes anyway. In fact, when you have the picture zoomed to fit the screen, as you may have to for many channels, the graphic for the volume using the DTA remote is off the bottom of sthe screen, so I always use the TV remote because that graphic stays visible.

Even my Samsung 50" Smart TV with a SA8300HD PVR needs both the Samsung and Rogers remote because there are certain functions one will do but not the other. About the only solution I can think of would be a Harmony Universal Remote, but they can cost more than a cheap TV.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While you can go overbaord with the harmony remotes.. ($300+)

You can go with the most basic one for $50, $75ish for the harmony 650 model with a display screen on it.

The MAJOR advantage with these.. is they are full customizable.. that you can add just about ANY TV, etc to it.. if its out there and has a code.. the harmony database likely has it.. and it will install it on the remote.

I had a previous one, which would control a $50 cheapo no name garbage surround sound even.

I am currently using the harmony touch.. as i wanted the more customizable display on it.. but the 650 is a good remote.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I have a couple of questions:

1. If a harmony remote can find a code to control any device, why can't tha Rogers DTA remote? (Probably because it's built to a price and Rogers is satisfied if it works in maybe only 90% of the applications.)

2. Why can't these remotes be upgraded to work by publishing new codes? (I think I'll submit tat to IdeaBox.)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

ALL the harmony remotes.. back since the FIRST ones (which i did own one).

You go into SOFTWARE on your PC.. choose your devices.. and it DOWNLOADS the specific codes, into the harmony remote.

The remote by default, has NO codes, till you tell it which ones to put in.

Comparatively.. the rogers ones, etc.. are pre-programed in some way with them.. likely a chip which stores them all, etc.
That i KNOW of there isnt a way to update them... though possibly there may be, etc.. or maybe not.

I'm a Senior Advisor

The 5-button PVR remote has what looks like 6 pins in a 2x3 array in the battery compartment. I wonder if that's where the manufacturer connects to program it for different cable companies. Perhaps the DTAremote is so cheap it's not programmable. In which case, Rogers should be replacing these with ones that can control more TVs.

I Plan to Stick Around

I am having trouble getting the Digital Adaptor to work with my new television.

My old kichen TV was replaced by a new RCA model RLED2265A-B.

I spent quite a few fruitless hours trying to program the DTA50 remote to operate this TV (without success).

Has anyone had success doing this with a new/newer RCA TV? If,so can you suggest a code to use?

thanks

mike

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I checked on the URC support page.

Looks like there is no exact codes for that tv in specific...

The two it said it could possibly reccomend:

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Mko wrote:

I am having trouble getting the Digital Adaptor to work with my new television.

My old kichen TV was replaced by a new RCA model RLED2265A-B.

I spent quite a few fruitless hours trying to program the DTA50 remote to operate this TV (without success).

Has anyone had success doing this with a new/newer RCA TV? If,so can you suggest a code to use?

thanks

mike

I have a DTA50 on my small Seiki kitchen TV and have put them on two RCA TVs. In all cases I could not get the DTA remote to turn the TVs on and off and had to use the TV remote for that. The remotes for the Seiki and RCAs look identical, except for the name. All from Walmart, probably the lowest bidder from China.

These are the instructions that came with my DTA50.

1. Turn your TV on.
2. Press and hold SET key for 3 seconds.
3. Press 9- 1- 4.
4. Point the remote towards your TV and press and hold the Power button down.
5. Continue to hold the Power button down until your TV turns off. The remote will cycle through all possible codes until a match is found.

Note: You may need to hold the Power button for a few minutes before finding a match.
6. Once the TV turns off, release the Power button to lock the code.
7. Confirm the correct code was locked by pressing the POWER button to turn on your TV.
Your Rogers remote is now set to turn your TV on and off as well as adjust
the volume. The remote that came with your TV can now be put away.

I even rigged up a pair of vise grips to hold the power button down for an hour, but no code was found and the TV did't turn off. However, I'm quite okay with using 2 remotes because I need the original one to change picture size between some channels.