digital adapter controlling my TV

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

digital adapter controlling my TV

I have called Rogers and checked online as to how to get the new digital adapter remote to control my TV.

It changes the channels but will not turn the TV on / off; will not control volume.

I have tried the programming tips by pressing "set" then entering a code and holding power button - nothing

I have tried resetting the remote - nothing

Suggestions to help me get the remote to control the TV are welcome. Please and Thanks.

Using 2 remotes is taking a step backwards.

Thanks

Solved! Go to Solution.
I've Been Here Awhile

RE: digital adapter controlling my TV

Recently rogers went to a nursing home and put in this box and left a remote

the remote has no instructions and does not turn the tv on or off or control the volume

My mother in law 95 kept confusing the two remotes as were most of the other residents

the solution was to unhook the box and toss the extra remote in a drawer

can anyone tell me of what good this box was as the home was already hooked up to rogers

and re hooking the tv direct to the wall outlet seems to work fine

nursing home residents should only have one remote

Staff have no answers

thanks

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: digital adapter controlling my TV

Firstly, here is the link to the instruction booklet.
May want to print one off, as well as give a copy to the nursing home, perhaps.

http://downloads.rogershelp.com/digitalcable/guides/DTA50_EIG_ON.pdf

As for WHY this is necessary?
Yes, you currently can plug right into the wall, and get TV.  But, if you go through the channels, work you way up.. you will find ALOT of them, are not there now. (i believe just show up as blank).

Analog transmission, was starting to be STOPED as of about 2 years ago.  All the TV stations no longer transmit that way over the air.
Cable providers, the only remaining ones transmitting this way over the CABLE lines, have been slowly removing this as well.  Just about every month, rogers is droping 1-3 channels from their analog signals.

This is where the DTA comes in.
The DTA, is a device which as basic as it can get (compared to the more FULL BLOWN digital boxes), which will allow the decoding of the DIGITAL signal, and give the same full channel lineup, as what was used to be available via analog prior.

Now, while it is not 100% guaranteed to work with every TV, you can try the instructions on the 2nd page of that guide.
It gives instructions, on how to program the remote, to work with the TV.  THis way, the rogers remote, will turn on/off the TV, and adjust the volume... but then change the channel on the rogers dta.

I'm a Senior Advisor

If the customer has no problem with the reduced number of analog channels available, the DTA is an unnecessary complication, but those channels will eventually all be gone, so no more TV. Rogers likely put in the DTAs as a preemptive measure before too many people started to complain about missing channels.

However, Rogers should have set up the remote and left instructions. That's completely unacceptable.

With many TVs the Rogers remote can't be set up to work all the functions, so you need to use both remotes. I have a TV like that. Not a good situation for a 95-year-old for sure.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for your help

I am forwarding the instructions to the nursing home staff so they can deal with it

we will try the instructions out later as I am not at the home now

will let you know how it works

the tv is a LG 32 in

I'm a Senior Advisor

Since it's a newer flat screen TV, they will need both remotes to adjust the picture shape/size between channels unless they're happy watching a small or distorted picture. Some people don't care and stretch the picture to fit the width of the screen and leave it at that.

I Plan to Stick Around

the newer remotes for the dta,use the same set up code as the 1056B03 , ie 991, and can be programmed to individual sets, this link showed code 914 and i have never used that code, during a set up or install. 

I'm a Senior Advisor

When I got my DAT50 I set it up exactly per the Rogers instruction sheet pressing 9-1-4. However, the power putton on the DTA remote never worked, even if I clamped it for an hour during setup looking for a code. I then tried the setup method I found on line as in the instruction sheet for the remote with even worse results; more functions didn't work. I tried resetting the remote by pressing the SET button for 3+ seconds so I could set it up the Rogers way, but that didn't work. When I called Rogers for more help, I was told to just bring the remote into the store and they'll replace it with a new one, which they did. I set up the new one per the Rogers method and the power button still doesn't work with this TV, but I can live with that because I need to use the original TV remote to adust aspect ratio anyway for different channels.

I Plan to Stick Around

if the 5 button remote works on your set, you can always set up that to control the dta. just limited functions buttons

I'm a Senior Advisor

@bohhammer wrote:

the newer remotes for the dta,use the same set up code as the 1056B03 , ie 991, and can be programmed to individual sets, this link showed code 914 and i have never used that code, during a set up or install. 

How can I tell if I have a newer or older remote? These are the instructions that came with mine:

http://downloads.rogershelp.com/digitalcable/guides/DTA50_EIG_ON.pdf

My remote looks like the one pictured there.Inside the battery compartment there's a label that says:

3069BC0-0585-0001-R

C120501

I have 3 more DTAs I haven't installed yet. The one that's installed won't turn the TV on and off. If Rogers now has a newer DTA remote, maybe I should get mine exchanged.