cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can an Explorer 8642HD operate on its own without connection to Rogers

JWCalvert
I plan to stick around

I own an old one with recordings we would like to watch.

Just recently upgraded to Ignite so the old PVR is semi-disconnected.

It does not want to boot past "-01-"

Any ideas.

Thanks

***Added Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: can an Explorer 8642HD operate on its own without connection to Rogers

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@JWCalvert : This issue has been discussed in several previous threads. You are out of luck. The Digital Boxes will not boot once you switch to Ignite. They have been disabled.

Had you known, you could have disconnected the box from the RF-coax cable before switching to IgniteTV and connecting the box to a UPS in case of a power failure and you would have been able to watch your recordings, but you're out of luck since you didn't do that

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@JWCalvert : This issue has been discussed in several previous threads. You are out of luck. The Digital Boxes will not boot once you switch to Ignite. They have been disabled.

Had you known, you could have disconnected the box from the RF-coax cable before switching to IgniteTV and connecting the box to a UPS in case of a power failure and you would have been able to watch your recordings, but you're out of luck since you didn't do that

JWCalvert
I plan to stick around

IF I sold it on say Kijiji, would the buyer be successful in connecting to Rogers with a proper paid account etc??

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Short answer is yes, however, the 8642 is not worth much and not many people are in need of these older boxes since many are switching to IgniteTV. The 9865 is a much better device and people are only getting about $40-$50.  Had you known you may have been able to negotiate a $25 credit from Rogers when you switched to Ignite.  Always good to do research before switching rather than after.

JWCalvert
I plan to stick around

OK maybe I can salvage the HD.

Thanks

as others said, nope, the boxes require a active cable connection

they are not designed to play back recordings when not connected to a working cable network.
Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation