X1 IPTV service

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: X1 IPTV service

@ivanpetrov from what I understand so far, the modem will run in Bridge mode without issue, as you do now.  So, if you happen to have a Hitron CODA-4582 modem (Intel Puma 7 chipset) or other modem (Intel Puma 6), swap out your current modem for yet another Intel Puma 7 modem, in this case the Arris XB6 (Intel Puma 7 modem). 

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Arris_TG3482ER

The X1 will run via 2.4 or 5 Ghz wifi or ethernet.  So, in theory, as long as you don't let the tech lead you astray, swap out the modem and connect the X1 to your ethernet network and carry on....

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Thanks Datalink! That's awesome news!
My current modem says model CGN3
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mcsandy at some point, the channel utilization becomes important, which is the measure of how much of the channel time is actually used.  When does that become a problem, don't know at the present time.  Is it 25%, 50%, 75%, don't know.  Unfortunately, depending on which wifi channel you are using there are two basic elements to contend with, the channel utilization which results from all of the modems and routers on that channel and the interference from nearby channels depending on which band you happen to be using.  I suspect that most users never get to a point where they are dealing solely with high channel utilization as signal levels, signal to noise ratios and interference from adjacent channels fouls up the picture before the high utilization is ever reached.  

What you could do, if you were interested is download a freebie program called WifiInfoView:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html

That program has some summery modes available that you can display.  There are a couple of screen shots further down the page.  One of the columns that isn't shown as its located further to the right is the Channel Utilization column.  There is also a station count available as well.  Give that program a go, switch to summery mode and drag those two columns to the left if you can.  There might be a right click menu that you can bring up which will allow you to move columns up or down in preference.  Its been a while since I've looked at that program, but the channel utilization is useful.  If you look at your wifi channel now to see its base load, that would give you a comparison point if you installed the X1 and ran it via wifi.  You should be able to see the changes in the channel utilization that accompany different screen resolutions that you might select on the supported TV. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ivanpetrov, if the product sticker at the back indicates CGN3, then you have the very first Puma 6 modem that Rogers introduced.  If you happen to be a gamer should find the Intel Puma 7 modem to be a vast improvement in terms of latency.  Beyond the Arris XB6, there is a Technicolour XB6 that apparently is out for employee testing.  That uses a Broadcom BCM-3390 chipset and it should be a vast improvement over the Intel Puma 7 chipset.  I don't know when that will be released.  If Technicolour hasn't done too much damage to the firmware in order to be compatible with Rogers network and the X1 specifically, it should be a much better modem than either the Hitron CODA-4582 or the Arris XB6, if not in terms of features, then in terms of latency thru the modem.

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Technicolor_CGM4140COM

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Bell is installing fibre in my neighbourhood as well but they have done a pull to the house beside me and they will not be installing a line into my rooming because my landlord TCHC has refused access to the electrical room so I will not be able to get fibre even if I wanted it.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I have an iPad from the source. It comes with Bell’s FibeRc package. I am paying $35 a month including the tablet payment. So why on earth would any one spends hundreds of dollars for a similar collection of channels plus YouTube and Netflix. I cast it to my tv when I am at home.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers does not understand that most people are using their phone for internet access.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

They may be using the phone to ACCESS the internet.
But anyone using their phone FOR internet access.. is spending way too much money on a cellular package 😛
Wired will always be cheaper in that regard.

That is one reason with a lot of these services (bells and rogers) you can do a lot of the viewing from the phone & tablets as well.
You would get one box free regardless with the package.. put it on your main TV.
But you could access otherwise solely from other devices if you wanted.

(and while I do watch some videos, etc in bed before I go to sleep, etc.. 90% of the other times.. i am watching stuff one of my TVs.. why would I watch it on a 14-17" screen, when I can watch it on a 50+ with surround sound?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I wonder if Rogers will allow 3rd party devices like Bell for TV service eventually. As apparently you can use an AppleTV, AmazonFire (I Believe)and android boxes which people may already have which could help lower bills and increase adoption rate.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hold on, not so fast. Rogers is just launching IPTV, give them a break, they can not jump right into an alternative TV services just like that and that fast. They probably do not even know the answer because they are focused on IPTV first. They need to check with their IPTV licencee to see if that is an option down the road too.

It might be possible down the road in the not so distant future. I did predict like close to 10 years ago that in the not so distant future, companies like Rogers Cable, Bell TV, Telus, and Cogeco Cable will no longer be thru the cable wire and will simply be APPS on your smart TV or devices such as tablets, computers, smart phones. and it looks like this is one step closer to making this happen.