X1 IPTV service

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: X1 IPTV service

Now that they have removed the ability to control my nextbox from the rogers anywhere app it is one less reason to use it.

I Plan to Stick Around

Some scattered chatter I have come across suggest that it will not be widely available until late this year (like December) or early next year (February, or March). Information posted here suggest there will be a $150 connection fee that is mandatory and the service itself will be in the $190 to $200 a month range. That qualifies it as an ultra premium VIP service as far (for the 1%'rs) as I am concerned given that my annual income is  less then $3600 a year its not even a consideration for me. Maybe in five years when  the decide to stop supporting the old NextBox and offer the installation for free and force to  trade in your rental next box (Oh wait I own my next box so I can't even do that!)

I Plan to Stick Around

I own my box and my bill is $47.00 a month and my internet is 11,99 (Connected for success) so they are going to have to pry my box out of my cold dead rotting corpse's hands before I will be changing over for anything that costs me a penny more. I even have a backup box in storage that is ready to go if this one fails (It was a freebie left behind where I was living by a foreign student who cleared the  account off of it before they went back to china). So I should be good until I reach retirement age  15 years.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There would be no point for them even releasing the product if it ends at that price range.
They are loosing subs as it is.. increasing it by 200%?  

It would have to be in the comparable price range to other IPTV services like Bells offerings, etc.

As for how/when, with getting rid of the existing system??
I have a feeling both will be around for a long time.. look how long Analog hung on?
Yes they will eventually try and move everyone over to it.. all development will go into the new stuff, etc.. but the regular digital should be around for quite a while

I'm a Senior Advisor

Oh, for sure! With smart TVs and so many lower cost and no cost alternatives to Cable TV now, such an expensive service would be doomed. A lot of my friends are currently exploring cheaper alternatives to Cable TV.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR wrote:

Oh, for sure! With smart TVs and so many lower cost and no cost alternatives to Cable TV now, such an expensive service would be doomed. A lot of my friends are currently exploring cheaper alternatives to Cable TV.

My parents are in the same situation.  With a recent change in their disposable income due to forced retirement, My parents still have a need for Television, however they will be scaling it back. They can no longer have a package with tons and tons of channels, they can not have fancy equipment such as whole home PVR's or PVR's in general. Heck, my parents still have an SD STB connected to one of their HDTV's because its working just fine but upgrading it to an HD box is an added expense they do not wish to incur since they own all their equipment. 

I suspect my parents will NOT be hopping onto this IPTV platform if the price range is indeed what I've been reading.  They want TV plan and simple, they Do NOT want any thing PREMIUM or added costs. I know companies want to make more money on their products and services but this is NOT the way to do it.  They need to realize that when they increase prices, a lot of their customers pensions do not go up and are still fixed prices

I will help my parents when the times comes to figure out what the best scenario is for them, but for now, no way are they going to iptv for the price ive been reading about

I Plan to Stick Around

@Sundog1966 wrote:

Some scattered chatter I have come across suggest that it will not be widely available until late this year (like December) or early next year (February, or March).

I'm not sure it'll be that late.  I only say that because I was in a Rogers store last night and they had a full-on working display of Ignite TV.  You could use the remote and try out features etc.  It would seem odd to have that full set-up and a significant portion of their retail space dedicated to a product that wouldn't be widely available for 6-8 months.  I asked when it was launching and all they would say was "very soon".

The pricing definitely sounds very high, but some of the features I read at the store last night sounded pretty amazing.  For example, it said you could download your recordings to watch offline; they specifically gave the example of taking shows on your tablet when flying.  I think that, if it comes to fruition, would definitely be a game changer for a lot of people.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Salinger1

That doesn't justify the pricing being that high. I can do the same with Netflix ( Downloads which are available) and watch on the fly wherever i want. Yes recording shows or movies isn't the same HOWEVER again does not justify that pricing.

Rogers is out of their mind if they will bring out this that high. Not many will go after it unless they drop the price.

I have seen Ignite TV in the works for months ( seen it being built and beta tested). It's no different then Bell's Fibe TV.

In the end my parents want it but not at this price. Again I have everything Rogers offers ( all services and all the highest packages) for almost $300. This only gives you half if not less for almost $200.
I Plan to Stick Around

I wasn't defending the pricing, just stating what I saw and what stood out to me being the first time I've seen it in person and seen official details as provided by Rogers itself.

The pricing I saw in this thread is Starter TV, 150u Internet and home phone for $150 per month, is that right or am I misquoting?  If that's the case, then that actually compares to Rogers current non-discounted pricing on their current three product bundles.

If they don't allow any discounting, then yes, I probably won't be signing up either but their current bundle that includes Starter TV, 30u Internet (with 250GB cap) and home phone is priced at $131 per month.  Compared to that, the new Ignite bundle is actually good value; relatively speaking.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Salinger1

Oh i know you aren't. Just pointing out that not many will get this and Rogers management will be shooting their feet when they realize that no one wants a home phone included in this bundle for that price including the low speeds of Internet they offer.

They should included Gigabyte Internet with this instead but Rogers wants you to dish out more money. So if you have Gigabyte Internet let's say, u need to DOWNGRADE in order to take part of this or pay more for both which is ridiculous.

That is the correct price as per the emails I have seen and spoken to a few managers as well.

Also remember this also has only ONE HDMI out and nothing else. So for the ones with older TV's this is useless.

I don't foresee this being a but hit at launch unless Rogers releases it for less or in a better package.