X1 IPTV service

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: X1 IPTV service

@ablatt wrote:

Sorry if this is a silly question, but if IPTV is totally IP-based, why couldn't they deliver it with the CODA?  What does the XB6 do that it can't? 

The XB6 has a telephone EMTA integrated into it.

But beyond that, there's no technical reason. It's likely just due to the provisioning system Rogers deployed for Ignite TV.

That said, you probably would rather have an XB6 than a CODA anyways, or better still, wait for the "other" XB6 to enter circulation (there is a second identical looking XB6 modem in testing that uses a better chipset than the Intel/Puma chipset that is shared between the current XB6 and the CODA). 

OTOH, Rogers may never release the "other" XB6 units or if they do, they may provide no clear means of "upgrading" to it if you already have an Intel based XB6. Anyones guess.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The XB6 that Rogers is currently installing is the Arris version which has an Intel Puma 7 Chipset.  That chipset is also used in the Hitron CODA-4582.  I suspect that Hitron is much further ahead in terms of dealing with the Puma 7 idiosyncrasies, compared to Arris, simply due to the fact that the Hitron modem was out before the Arris version.  Hitron has also been very active in releasing updates to correct various problems as well.  

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Arris_TG3482ER

Apparently, the Techicolour XB6 is out for employee testing.  This uses the Broadcom BCM-3390 chipset which should result in a much better modem when compared to the Intel Puma 7, simply due to the overall design.

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Technicolor_CGM4140COM

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I wonder if we can install linux Mint on it. Then all we need is Kodi or plex! LOL.

Topic Stats