X1 IPTV service

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: X1 IPTV service

@pvanb

You shouldn't be apologizing for Rogers poor pricing model... If anything Rogers should provide better pricing to early adopters on an unadvertised soft opening which users are practically beta testing for their hard launch.

I Plan to Stick Around

That being said, I'm still looking forward to hearing about the usability/features from the brave early adopters. So please keep posting that stuff ;-)
I Plan to Stick Around

@pvanb

Yes not to be bitter its just more disappointing this should be a exciting launch at improving the overall end customer experience. Lets hope they get their pricing model fixed on the hard launch. 

I Plan to Stick Around

@mcsandy — I'm not apologizing for the pricing, but I do understand the reasoning for it. I am apologizing for derailing the conversation, however.

I Plan to Stick Around

@pvanb

Understood. It seems like Rogers is testing the waters for the boundaries customers are willing to pay. No doubt the hardware cost on this is putting a nice dent in their pocket. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Answers to some questions in the last few pages.

1. The TV boxes will be WiFi.  If there are issues (dead zones, etc) Rogers will fix it so it works.  It may be using MESH.  Each box will have access to "cloud" recordings. No need to call it WHPVR, because it's more than that since you can also access Netflix, YouTube and who knows what in the future.

2. The Home Phone that was mentioned to me is the deluxe package that has 6-7 options, including things like home & away voicemail, call display, etc.

3. Rogers will also provide (at this time) a concierge number for Ignite TV customers, not regular channels.

I Plan to Stick Around

@57

Would there be any concern about having say 4-5 boxes all streaming on the same wifi network? Would there not be some degradation if it uses the same band as your normal devices?

I Plan to Stick Around

@pvanb No worries. It was bound to be derailed at some point in time and I just didn't want to be the one derailing it Smiley Happy.

Bell is currently installing FTTH in my neighborhood (Its an absolute mess of construction in a subdivision that's 20+ years old) so I was excited to hear that IPTV was going to be offered so I could actually compare the same(ish) levels of service for value. Seems though the value may not be as close as I originally expected.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mcsandy wrote:

@57

Would there be any concern about having say 4-5 boxes all streaming on the same wifi network? Would there not be some degradation if it uses the same band as your normal devices?

I'm sorry, I'm not an expert on the topic of WiFi.  There are people on this forum who are.  However, similar stuff works over on Bell and I suspect the issue has been tested by Roger. That is one of the reasons they're only offering the high end Internet.

I'm Here A Lot

I am actually really interested in getting this. The navigatr thing even with its latest improvements leaves a lot to be desired.. So that Ignite modem that would have to replace my current Hitron Rogers modem which runs in bridge mode, scares me a bit. The routers Rogers has used over years have always been sub-par compared to a pro router such as Ubnt/Mikrotik/Meraki. I use dedicated router and a network of hardwired access points to provide sufficient coverage throughout the entire house and my setup works really nice - access points handle seamless wifi client roaming for devices moving around the house or for load balancing purposes. I guess it won't be an issue to continue using my wifi network the way it is configured now, but will I be able to connect the streaming box(es) to my wifi, or, like Bell, I will be forced to use whatever Wifi their router/modem creates. That's just creating unnecessary wifi interference and will no way work better then the setup I currently have.

Also - will I have to lose my router too, or there is way to pass the public IP to the device behind the new Ignite router?

Can anyone confirm if the entire setup can work of standard Ethernet connections without relying on any wireless connection?

Topic Stats