X1 IPTV service

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: X1 IPTV service

I find it curious that nobody who's talked to Rogers and/or ordered the service has posted the actual price. If there's only a single option and no promotional discounts why is everyone being so secretive/evasive about it? Is it embarrassingly expensive, or is Rogers requiring some sort of NDA? 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@pvanb : There are some variables. For example, it depends on which TV package you wish (there are three).  Earlier in this thread some people stated that they were not offered the 500 mbps Internet option (perhaps due to location limitations). Here's a post I made elsewhere that should help:

You can get an idea of the cost by looking at the "list/regular (non-promo) prices" for the TV packages, plus the "list/regular price" for the Internet package - I believe it's 500 Ignite unlimited. That would be the rough total, perhaps a bit less. So, you're getting Home Phone (Deluxe, Canada LD only in my case) "for free" (roughly).

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/tv#/packages

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/internet?setLanguage=en

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/home-phone?setLanguage=en

The package comes with one "modem" and one TV box (good enough for one TV). Extra boxes are $10/mo. Installation is $150 (not wave-able)
Channels outside the list in the TV packages are separate. For example, TMN/HBO is about $20/mo, Can/US timeshifting is about $6/mo, etc.

One additional note. I wasn't sure whether the CSR was offering it just to me, or because I would be on "Premiere", but he stated that I could "swap" any "regular priced" channels contained in my package for other "regular priced" channels outside the package (Bell has something similar). Again, this may not be available to all.  There may be a list of "allowable" channels that the CSR has at hand, but so far unpublished.

Hope that helps.  It is possible that there are minor variations due to your existing plan - they may make some minor accommodations.  I would guess that if your existing plan is not one of the old grandfathered ones, there is (currently) one single pricing option and there is little or no room for "haggling" once the price is presented.

I Plan to Stick Around

@57

So ballpark people are looking at $200 for a TV service basic home phone and 500 mbps internet? 

I Plan to Stick Around

@pvanb

There was no NDA on the pricing but personally I wanted to keep the conversation about the product and the functionality and not go off into a tangent about pricing and deals and such because we all know that can change depending on the day and who you speak to sometimes.

@57 the CSR also informed me that there were about 30 channels (For popular plan) currently that can be swapped based on if you wanted them or not. They did not state which ones it was though as I don't think they had the exact listing of channels.

Don't remember if it was posted previously but the rep also stated that during the install the tech would make sure that the Wifi was strong enough in the house for the TV's to function properly. He stated this could be achieved with a set of WiFi extenders (I assume these extenders would be an additional cost/fee similar to Bell's)

@Gdkitty
I believe someone else did state earlier but if not I will validate. The Rogers rep stated that you could either use the supplied Rogers modem for everything or put it in bridge mode and utilize your own router for the Wifi with the IPTV boxes. However the major caveat to that is if you ever run into issues with your TV service and you have the modem in bridge mode they will not be able to troubleshoot/support you unless you are utilizing their Modem for the Wifi connection.
I Plan to Stick Around

@Hybrid_Noodle — Understandable, but price has been part of this ongoing conversation. It would be informative to at least know what the baseline pricing is.

@57 — Thanks, that helps. Sounds like approx. $200 is Rogers' preferred price point for most people, barring any special cases.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hello @Gdkitty

When you get the new IPTV installed on Saturday, could you let me know how they would hardwire it ?

Lets say you have a TV on the main floor and a TV upstairs both run by coax cable....  I wonder if they would set up the modem in the basement and then replace the Coax with Ethernet ?   Also I wonder if the new small boxes have a Ethernet connection and HDMI like the current Nexbox 3.0 ?

Thanks

I Plan to Stick Around

@RJ_74

The new IPTV boxes are all Wifi (Who knows if they even have a port for ethernet... Maybe @Gdkitty can fill us in this weekend).

My personal opinion is the setup should be straight forward. Rogers will install and setup the new modem within the house in a logical location. Depending on how many TV's/IPTV Boxes you need they will then install them by the TV and begin to do a wireless survey to make sure that the IPTV boxes are receiving a strong WiFi connection. Gone should be the days of worrying about Coax or cabling all together and as long as you have access to power and the Wifi signal is strong enough you can get TV.

Now if the Modem is not able to get a proper Wifi signal to the IPTV box you would have a couple of options that the Tech's should be ready with. 1) Move the Rogers modem to a more central location if possible so the Wifi signal can be more efficiently sent. 2) Install/Use WiFi extenders within the house to help boost the WiFi signal in the house if you really want to keep the modem in the basement and you have your TV on the complete opposite side of the house.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Just spoke with a rep about the service.. $174+ tax for the select package and 189+tax for the popular. Don't even want to know about the premiere. Oh, and a $150 install fee.

NOOOOO THANK YOU. Netflix integration and speaking into my remote does not just justify doubling my cable/internet bill and eating a $150 install. 

the 1%'ers can have their X1 lol .. ill stick to my piddly next box 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The X1 IPTV box will run off of 2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz wifi or ethernet.  Apparently it will switch between the 2.4 to 5 Ghz on its own.  I presume that's done by measuring the signal level and signal to noise ratios of the two wifi channels.  It has a single HDMI output.  So, basically, one box per tv that you use.  You might be able to run an HDMI splitter and feed another box via ethernet if you happen to have that available, but that might require two ethernet cables available at various locations throughout the home which is probably pretty rare, or possibly run HDMI via RG-6 cabling which I haven't looked into.  Food for thought for those who are considering the X1.

The one question that I didn't ask is what is the equivalent of the Whole Home PVR setup.  I would assume that each X1 would simply access the same user account and same cloud stored recorded shows.  There might not be a Whole Home setup, as is currently done, probably a group of single X1's running on their own accessing the same data.  Speculation on my part .....

Cost ballpark is $200 and up depending on your level of tv service and theme packs.  Install cost is $150 which will not be waived.

Personal opinion, running the X1 via wifi might turn out to be a big headache.  Users are going to have to look at their wifi environment with a wifi analyzer to determine the best operating channel.  Use the 5 Ghz, channels 149 to 161 as their allowed to run 1 watt for power output, which is the highest power output of the 5 Ghz range.  Everything else runs at 50 or 200 milli-watts depending on when it was approved by Industry Canada.  The higher power output will result in a larger range due to the higher signal level and higher signal to noise levels.  Use the freebie Acrylic to look at the wifi environment and determine who else you're competing with:

https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/wlan-wifi-wireless-network-software-tools/wlan-scanner-acrylic-wifi-f...

I suspect that we'll see a good number of complaints over the next few weeks due to wifi issues with the X1.  And it won't be due to the X1 itself, more than likely due to the wifi environment and wifi channel in use.  If you can, run the X1 via ethernet and avoid the wifi issues. 

Edit:  The XB6 modem which is supplied with the X1 has two ethernet ports and two phone ports.  As per the current Home Phone modem, the phone ports are intended for separate phone numbers but apparently that doesn't work at the present time.  They can be configured to run off of the same phone number, so, I would guess that you can connect one phone off of the modem for local use near the modem and connect the house phone system to the other port. 

The current  XB6 is an Arris built Intel Puma 7 modem, or in other words, nearly the same as the Hitron CODA-4582, but I suspect that Hitron is much further ahead in terms of firmware updates for the Puma 7 modem.  It all depends on how much Intel shares among it various manufacturing companies.  There is a Technicolour version in test at the moment which should use a Broadcom based BCM-3390 chipset.  In theory, if you're a gamer, this modem should a much better modem compared to the Puma 7 modems.  It just depends on what Technicolour had to do to the firmware in order to make its XB6 compatible with the X1.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hey @Hybrid_Noodle

IMO hardwired is and always will be more reliable/stable than wifi.

All of us are currently connected to the coax in the wall, so if someone has only one TV and doesn't want wifi, I'm hoping they will accommodate them.... Also since the PVR is in the cloud, (unlike Bell which has one main PVR)  there's really no need to wirelessly connect to each IPTV box...  The only reason that this needs to be WIFI is to add TV to locations where there is no cable outlet..... I just think there should be an option.

Yeah its great, if you want to add a TV to a room where there is no Coax.  Bell Fibe has been offering that for the last 8 years.

So Bell Fibe offers "Restart" shows from the last 30 hrs, yet Rogers IPTV only seems to offer "Restart" from the shows currently on air...wonder why that is..

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/about-rogers-iptv

https://www.bell.ca/Fibe-TV

Thanks.