X1 IPTV service

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: X1 IPTV service

XFinity/Comcast had 50% of users on X1 in 2016, and late last year, they were in the 80% range, so it has taken 3 years for them to move from 0 - 80%, and still have many users who have no interest in paying extra money. 

XFinity has been doing an aggressive pricing keeping the price of the rental of the boxes the same, but have also kept some features as add-on pricing, but the message there is that they have been able to move many of their customers.

One thing to be aware of that has been reported on their forums is that at the stores, and contacts, XFinity has been saying for over a year they don't have legacy boxes for new customers, but Comcast says they can locate refurbished and returned ones if your own fails.  But they have clearly said that they are not supporting any further features on the legacy apps and boxes, canning a new guide from 2016, and that replacement of existing boxes under rental that fail will be replaced through existing supplies received from returns from changes to X1

For many users I know in the US, there is are three groups - the cord cutters, who have a basic TV service as they stream services and use 125 - 500 Mbs unlimited services, with a small add-on price as overall, the box gave them a very low price, but they can't justify moving up to the more "fancy feature sets".  Their emphasis is on media, gaming, work from home with solid Intenet required, and TV something they will take at a small added price only, if at all.

The next group is the early users who like to have the newest and "best" feature sets are have the cash flow (maybe debt) to handle the higher prices to have the new stuff.

The third group is those like myself, who have no disposable income - I like new features too, but I can barely pay for my current packages, let alone think about going to new stuff at higher prices.

I look at my current mix - home phone - needed for calls to the US and across Canada for my wife's business, and as long as it has been a cheap add-on to the bundle, we keep it, but she is shifting more and more to her cell.

Internet is 75 Mbs/500, was 60, 200GB cap,  less than a year ago - had no issues with it, just the bundle I got they had phased out the 60 and only the 75 and 150 available - 150 was going to be 10.00 more ulitimately if I chose it, didn't need it so passed on it.  My TV is down to the middle package from my old VIP, again to save money, with one theme pak, HBOTMN and one channel, with some 8% BCB discounts on the add-ons and our low end phones.

So if I look at the posted suggestions of pricing - to get to where I am now - need additional boxes to support my three TV's, currently no extra charge, installation charges, move starter to our choice of channelmix that we are on now, and can I get it at a lower Internet speed, and is home phone including our current features and long distance north america wide - about 500 minutes.  I would see given curren pricing, that could get me up into the 200.00 range - Absolutely not, they would have to have promotions that are simliliar in features and channels and services to what I have worked hard to get to to save money of past years bills that had climbed to insane levels of the last figure when I said no more, almost 249,00 before taxes.

So for me, this new plan is of no interest to me in any way whatsoever, and hopefully they don't do as Comcast tried to do which was building discentives to stay on legacy, promoting inventory shortages for replacement of legacy and no promotions on legacy packages anymore.

Bruce

I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers is driven by a metric called ARPU - know affectionately as Rverage revenue Pr Unit (Customer). They aim for a figure of about $200 per customer and will do what ever it takes to make that happen.

I'm Here A Lot

I believe Shaw as well here in Canada
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Sundog1966

That's true however I don't see many going to pay $200 Plus taxes for this when most don't even use Home phone.. My parents have it for my father's doctors to call and the hospital but 98% of the time it's spam calls. So they want o sell u a service with the bundle to have u deal with spam calls and robot calls from duck cleaning services.

Mind you this can change before launch but knowing Rogers it won't.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @RJ_74

Yeah seen all that months ago ( source within Rogers). No YouTube at this time. Seems like that may be a deal breaker for some but not all.

For me it's about the pricing. If the pricing is $200 for those three ( speeds for the Internet should be higher not lower) and home phone not many use and why? Because all u get is spam calls 24/7. So that right there will make many not get it.

If they added Gigabyte Internet, Ignite TV and Smart Home let's say, it may end up being a better bundle.

Pricing is where it's at.
I Plan to Stick Around

Hey @Meowmix

Yeah, I hear you... Pricing is crucial... it's already too expensive.... Plus they should just let you choose TV and internet only... 

Do you know if its available without WIFI ?   as the wifi is never reliable in my house.. Plus I always prefer hardwired devices.

Wonder if they are ever going to properly fix this Navigatr.. It's been a nightmare since they launched it....wish they would go back to old design.

Thanks.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

They're marketing it as a premium product so the price is high, however with all the cord cutters this could turn out to be a bad idea. I thought they would do the opposite, offer it for an introductory low price to build a user base and let people experience it, then gradually raise the price once they have a large user base. 

I feel like the decisions made don't make sense for the current market.

1) People don't want/need home phone anymore, we all have cell phones.

2) Not choosing to include Gigabit or 500mb/s internet on a premium product. 

3) The high price... people are cutting the cord 

The market for the premium IPTV would be tech savvy people, people who understand the technical benefits, not your average customers. Average customers would be content staying on QAM/Nextbox.  The tech savvy clientele market is most likely on the fence about cutting the cord, so once they see how expensive this product is I doubt they would recommend it to the less technical friends/family.

I really think Rogers management missed the mark on this, they're making decisions based on a market from a few years ago... back when cable tv was a big part of peoples lives. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Had a rogers Rep contact me today about IPTV service.

Seems like it is a bundle thing where it’s all or nothing. To match my current stuff of Gig + Popular + 2 additional IPTV boxes it was over $200+taxes

Good conversation with the guy on the features and plans for the service but he informed me flat out that there are 0 discounts available for the service today (He said that may change at any point which is always the case).

I politely declined and told him if anything changes on the pricing to give me a call back but it didn’t really make financial sense.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hey @Hybrid_Noodle

Just want to clarify do they still offer the 3 packages (Select, Popular & Premier) being offered at the moment with the current digital TV ?

What about if you want TMN/HBO etc ?  Still $20 ?

What's the minimum Internet speed required ?

Looks like they uploaded a new video on June 4th  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNp0HFH6wmw