X1 IPTV service

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: X1 IPTV service

Hello @Hwaiting

I can't give much details ( due to the agreement they have) but Lurker is kinda correct however alot has changed.

The box is stylish and has alot of powerhorse.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

This may be more true in multi-tenancy dwellings. The house I am in has ten apartments in it and Bell won't install fiber since  the Operator TCHC is not willing to let them in to change all the wiring in all the apartments as well as re-cabling the alarm / telecom / electrical  room. I don't expect this to change  for at least the next two decades according to TCHC. In rogers case:  I think they will get significant resistance  from users of current and older boxes (Mine is over 10 years old an old 8020). They will have to roll out as these boxes die and thier users die and thier families return them to rogers when the  account is closed. So only new subscribers will be moved to X1.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Why would Rogers get resistance?

Wouldn't current users want the new service?

Am I missing something?

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Sundog1966

Thats not correct at all. Existing and new Customers will be able to get the new Rogers Ignite IPTV boxes and services as long as they have compatible Internet services to run the system and also can get the boxes.

So everyone will be able to get them as long as their place is compatible with the Internet cable they will be using.

I cant share anymore information other then that. The information I have is the everyone will be able to get it as long as their place is compatible with the Internet services. They may have to run new wires if the older homes are not up to code with new wiring.
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @tarheel

It all depends on the owner of the building or housing. They rather not spend the money or time to rewire the whole place just for a new service.

However that's wrong because they will have to do this sooner rather then later because new services do come out often.

Some older folks also do not see the use for IPTV and rather stay with decade services which kind you aren't going to last because the new thing is IPTV and the new boxes ( 4K and future 8K services).
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Any idea of release date?

Been waiting patiently but getting it handed to me by Bell Five and can't wait to cancel the service.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @tarheel

I was told near Q3 / Q4. That can change however. There is no set date so far. It's still in testing internally.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Honestly, what are the advantages of X1 versus Bell Fibe TV?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Yeah Bell   was drilling into my soul for 189 a month for tv and internet.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

In my case, for example, I am renting from TCHC social housing. i have no control over when they choose to rewire and given thier  billion dollar backlog of repairs I would say rewiring a house is not on thier list at all. Even if it is no cost. If even one tenant refuses entry the entire project could be  put on hold by tchc regardless of what they other  tenats want.

As far as upgrading my box. I just bought a new box online for $250.00. I expect to keep it for at least ten years. My tv is still a 720p flat screen that is five years old so 4k and 8k are of  no value to me. and given that my eyesight is 20/50 better resolution won't help. In my current situation I only get about half of the channels clearly that I am paying for.  Most of them say that channel is  not available and to try again later or they are all broken up.I have had rogers techs out her 11 times so far to fix it and they say it is a problem in the neighborhood and   referred it to second level service. That was six months ago and it has not improved. So X1 really does not seem to offer much value to me unless it works with my existing box and does not require re-wiring of my unit and the building. Unless you own a house and are not renting I don't see that X1 will be a appealing option.