X1 IPTV service

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: X1 IPTV service

Another thing to note:  There are content providers out there which you can "Purchase" a DVD quality movie, but the movie is stored on their "cloud" indefinitely.  Note: there is a difference between the rights to "Watch" a movie aka netflicks, and the rights to "Own" a movie, they have different price points.   A lot of people are forgetting that some movies on Netflicks will eventually disappear so the "purchase" the movie and have it sit on the cloud makes sense to some people.  but the majority of the public don't care and think it will be there forever and will not attempt to own a copy of it and will rely on streaming it over and over until the day comes that it disappears from the site.

I Plan to Stick Around

I agree running a home server on Linux or Windows is too difficult for the average user but we are seeing  the Synology NAS Units and similar devices simplifying the interface and they are developing virtual capabilities and cloud based access. The current problem is that each company has its own way of being accessed and when the company shuts down or goes bankrupt  you access to the media becomes invalid. If you die all your media technically becomes de-licecned as well because the underlying contract with the service provider expires. We need a way of transferring this licencing to other member of the family or ideally the licence is for the  family and not the individual. This way you just change the credit card associated with the account and continue enjoy the  media. The other area  you need a server for are self created works, book, pictures, movies, academic research, patents and trademark able products that can be licences. These product particularly are not going to be able to be maintained by a third party such as Netflix or even Microsoft on a cloud drive. What is your transition plan for your data and servers for when you pass on? I have had to recover  several PC's for families when a member gets into a car accident and dies or even commits suicide. Its important to have a plan and a document with passwords and an idea of what content there is and where it is located as well as procedures you are using to back it up and maintain it.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Rogers to look like Comcast Xfinity

The sooner Rogers can implement the Xfinity system including voice control, and the new remote the better!!

I'm a Senior Advisor

Some of the voice control elements of Comcast/Xfinity on the remote, in particular the naming of a TV show and time, are licensed by RIKO, formally TIVO and is awaiting a decision by two state courts, and international licensing court, so we may not necessarily see the full feature set that has been presented as part of the Comcast model - same as why we are awaiting on managing our PVR from anything but the legacy Home Anyplace TV app on the smart phones.  

Every company in North America that signed on with Comcast to license their full product feature set has been caught in these licensing battles between Comcast and Riko (Tivo), or the alternative is that Comcast has to build from the ground up a different model of doing the same thing that doesn't violate the licensing.

But it will all come in some form or other sooner or later.

Notice that Rogers stopped calling it X1 and  IPTV or Comcast - it is all rebranded as Ignite TV.

Bruce

I'm Here A Lot

Hello,

Is there a release date for this service yet? I know Rogers employees are testing the service currently.

Any help is appreciated.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @tarheel

Not at the moment here isn't a exact date for launch. However I know a few reps that are using it and love it! Just have bugs and issues going on thus they are also taking their time fixing those out. Patience is key here.

Stay tuned!
I Plan to Stick Around

@Meowmixwrote:
Hello @tarheel

Not at the moment here isn't a exact date for launch. However I know a few reps that are using it and love it! Just have bugs and issues going on thus they are also taking their time fixing those out. Patience is key here.

Stay tuned!

Any word on what kind of hardware?  More specially, are they going to have a box that is completely wireless (like Bell) that doesn't require a coax input?

I Plan to Stick Around

Is this new Ignite TV going to replace the current Nextbox service? Or is it going to be a new premium system?

I'm a Senior Advisor

I would think it will eventually replace the current service, but given how long it took to drag people off analogue, its not going to be a quick turnover.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Hwaitingwrote:
@Meowmixwrote:
Hello @tarheel

Stay tuned!

Any word on what kind of hardware?  More specially, are they going to have a box that is completely wireless (like Bell) that doesn't require a coax input?

The hardware will most likely be the same stuff Comcast uses for the most part.  If they have wireless boxes, then Rogers probably will as well.