X1 IPTV service

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: X1 IPTV service

There are PC based tuners for CableCARD - SiliconDust just announced a new one at CES a few weeks ago.  But they can be foiled based on the DRM settings from your cable company.  CabeCARD rental should also be much cheaper than renting STBs.  But it is a moot point in Canada, unless we can get the CRTC on board for this or future versions of the same thing.  

But as we move to IPTV it really makes me wonder - why do we need Rogers to provide us with proprietary hardware?  Surely there are many devices that we already have under our TV that can receive a video stream over an IP network.  As long as we can make "Hollywood" happy with DRM then why not let us use our own hardware like TiVos, PCs, ShieldTVs, etc?

I Plan to Stick Around

That's right... You can access Bell's Fibe TV with an Apple TV.  I hope Rogers has plans to have a similar app for the Apple TV to access the IPTV programming.

I'm a Senior Advisor

The Apple TV box with Bell requires you to still have their primary HD box - nice thing though is that you have access to apple TV and other options of that device on the TV it is plugged into, while getting your Bell.

Comcast in U.S. is beta testing of Roku on some of their affiliate provider locations of XFinity.  So it may come to Rogers with time, but step one is to get it fully tested as mentioned earlier.

One thing of note - in the financial statements, Rogers no longer calls it X1 which is a Comcast IPTV model, they now call it IP based video - no reference to Comcast anywhere.

And as to the question there are many boxes out there that provide integrated search and provision of the various Internet versus broadcaster based TV.  Tivo can do exactly the same thing, Channel Master and Tivo do the same thing with connections to an external antenna.  Any company can choose any box, just that most companies decide to go proprietary.  And is there benefits to IPTV over Cable - in the posts I have read in various google searches, not really any - the benefits are stated to be for the provider as they can provide more channels and reduces potential congestion on the network in that with IP, they are sending only the channels, signals you are requesting, say recording a lot of shows, or multiple connections in the home, whereas with Cable, the whole channel mix is being pushed down multiple QAM channels.  Cloud PVR designs also provide for the Bell feature of watch 3 days back.

But from the user point of view, not really any benefit - for the last number of years, Bell could say Fibe TV was better than Rogers, which when you compare their PVR to Navigatr, they win hands down and a broader feature set because of the limitations of the box, not cable (just need a cable and cable Internet connection coming to the box.  Notice they didn't say IPTV is better, they said their product was better.  Not all companies are going IPTV - cogego for example has chosen not to for most of their service locations, and they have also chosen not to go with GB internet either as IPTV on a basic level does not need that speed, just an issue as we keep adding more devices in our homes.

So from a user point of view, quality and experience on IPTV and Cable with the new boxes that permit for OTT and other features like deep integration to IP based services are pretty much the same.  As the research I did suggests, the big winner is the networks and the ability for them to use one platform to provide many more choices of services  - less cost, and hopefully more revenue.

Just my perspective having seen both in play and researching the topics.  Lots of discussion on it on a simple Google search.

Someone more technical may be able to comment in more detail, but if you are a TV watcher like me who records a few shows for watching at another point, has a bit of OTT like netflix, and uses minimal Internet, and only runs one TV at a time, what ever is cheapest is all that matters to me. 

Just my two cents.  To be honest, expect to see a big giant marketing race by Rogers and current IPTV providers, maybe some temporary decreases in price during competition, but at the end of the day, it is TV.

Bruce

I Plan to Stick Around

This is not true: Bell Fibe ALT doesn't require you to have any Bell equipment. You can use an Apple TV, mobile device or any computer. 

I had that service before.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@BS wrote:

.  And is there benefits to IPTV over Cable - in the posts I have read in various google searches, not really any - the benefits are stated to be for the provider as they can provide more channels and reduces potential congestion on the network in that with IP, they are sending only the channels, signals you are requesting, say recording a lot of shows, or multiple connections in the home, whereas with Cable, the whole channel mix is being pushed down multiple QAM channels.  Cloud PVR designs also provide for the Bell feature of watch 3 days back.

Hasn't Rogers hadn't SDV (Switched digital video) since about 2008?  And doesn't that provide the same benefit of only pushing the channels that are being watched, rather than the whole channel mix?  Or does that not scale as well as IPTV over a large network?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@wayner92 : Yes Rogers has had SDV for a long time, however, the most watched channels are still sent full time and all the channels are still sent to the node.  This shouldn't really make much difference because FTTN has plenty of bandwidth.  So I'm unfamiliar with exactly what bandwidth issues there are, but I guess it's perhaps from the node to the home for high speed internet options not yet available, as well as other technology.

I believe there are also other compression technologies available for IPTV which again require less bandwidth for "equivalent picture quality".  More on IPTV:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPTV

I'm a Senior Advisor

@DeanLubaki wrote:

This is not true: Bell Fibe ALT doesn't require you to have any Bell equipment. You can use an Apple TV, mobile device or any computer. 

I had that service before.

GEntlemen, gentlemen, you're both right!

1. Bell allows you to use an Apple TV box as a wireless cable box on its Fibe service - for which you need to have and register it with a Fibe TV service

2.  Alt TV is a different, app-based TV product that allows pure streaming through Apple TV - no cable box required (you do need Fibe Internet).

3. I cant believe how many times Fibe TV has been mentioned on a Rogers forum.

I've Been Here Awhile

Any updates on the rollout of the new service? My parents miss several features from Bell Fibe (restart, Netflix) and are considering switching back.

I Plan to Stick Around

It was supposed to be available in March but information I am getting is it won’t be available till late this year or Q1 2019
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Spoke to a Rogers service agent on the road today and he said they have been trained on the new platform and thought it would be launched in 2-4 weeks.