X1 IPTV service

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: X1 IPTV service

Well... With Bell's model, they set up their own internet service for the IPTV, but obviously the user cannot use the internet connection for other purposes than the TV (no different than the good old dry DSL line).
We can assume that Rogers would do the same to remain relevant

I'm a Senior Advisor

@DeanLubaki So I'm guessing IPTV will cost more money. Cord cutting will just be more attractive.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Senior Advisor

I am going to make a guess given the competition model from Bell IPTV that they you will be able to use your preferred Internet service - Bell used to force you to have their IPTV on their Internet, but that is not a requirement anymore.  You just won't receive the cost savings of bundling, but if you are only using low speed Internet, you don't have any need for higher speeds, and they generally only bundle at the higher ends.

There is one new thing that Rogers is already doing - for viewing online RAPTV in the home, you have to be attached to Rogers Internet to get the full range of available channels.  If you don't have their Internet, you will get the reduced number of channels available to remote access away from home.  This is actually a broadcasting rights issue, similiar to why some stations we don't get at all, or some stations are in SD only.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

@OLDYELLR wrote:

@DeanLubaki So I'm guessing IPTV will cost more money. Cord cutting will just be more attractive.

Due to the level of competition where alternatives are available, I suspect it will be similiar to what we currently pay, but we all know that over the years we have been paying more for less with each year that has gone by, so only time will tell what the competitive forces will bring the pricing to.  And as we know there is not a lot of competition in the market for bringing TV into the home.  The cheaper alternatives remain cord cutting, and then you are making the choice of what you want to give up and pay.

Lots of speculation as to what we will get, but at this point, I agree with @57 that it will probably start as basically the same as we get now, and as much as possible with something that the competition doesn't offer, but mostly the same features so they can get into the old game of why their service and box is better than the other guys, why their bundles are better, they have more channels, all those comparisons of the tiny differences.

My guess - we will see wireless boxes come for whole home - comcast set top boxes can do that, something like Roku once it goes out of Beta in the U.S., ability to have the ability to view a group of over the top services, like Netflix, the voice control remote, things like manage PVR will come once licensing gets cleared up, that is if there is enough demand to make it worth paying the licensing, it will all be 4K capable, the group of apps we currently see with full browser functioning at a minimum.  Channel mixes will be the same as we have now just moving the broadcast mix.  Pricing between the major companies are pretty close to each other at this time, channel mixes are pretty comparable, so there will be little on a basic level to differentiate the company, so I suspect features will get added over time for competitive advantage (we are different), and pricing will be somewhat different, with somewhat different mixes of broadcasting licensing, and as we see now, different models of the basic TV and pick and pay models.

The reality is that QAM or IPTV, they are both capable of doing the same things on a box and Internet access to services away from the box.  TIVO has been delivering Over the Top and Cable for quite a few years now.

So in  a lot of ways, I don't see that it will be a greatly different world from now, same thing at the end of the day - just TV coming to us over a different medium.

The only advantage market wise at this moment is that it is much easier for the telephone companies to get IPTV into rural areas and towns once they lay in the Fibre backbone, the copper is already there - IPTV and slow Intenet.

Rogers has to lay in either Fibre to the home, or a coax framework in order get to the rural areas.

But now the discussion moves way into the future (well not that far, next decade).

But in summary, on a basic level, I think the service that Rogers puts out there will be very similiar to the traditional IPTV offerings with similiar feature sets, costs, packages, and channel mixes.  Where things will differ is where you live - If Rogers is already in your neighbourhood, but Fibe to the Neighbourhood is not in the there yet, you will have choice of Rogers or Sattelite, cord cutting, or over the air antenna.

Interesting discussion this is proving to be.  Certainly helps for pre release hype.

Bruce

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hey guys.

Here is some more information that just came out.

" According to Natale, the platform is currently being tested by 500 employees, and Rogers is adding 120 to 150 beta testers each week. “This is a premium product and therefore it must have premium experience,” said Natale, during the January 25th, 2018 investors call.

The company has yet to formally announce a public launch date, but Natale said he expects a full commercial launch later this year.

Before then, the company will allow customers to trial the service as well. Rogers’ IPTV service is based on U.S. telecom Comcast’s X1 technology. "
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Sorry if this is a basic question but what are the benefits to the end user of an IPTV system compared to the current system(s) offered by Rogers?  I can understand how this is beneficial to Rogers' network architecture, but how does it benefit your average TV watcher?  Is it supposed to be better interactive and on-demand services?  

I Plan to Stick Around

*Runs, pushes everybody*
mmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeee FIIIIIIRRRSST!

I'm a Reliable Contributor

You first for what?

Colour me skeptical but I find it hard to believe that X1 IPTV will be all that great.  It may have stuff like "deep Netflix integration" which makes it good for TV plus Netflix but what about Amazon Video, YouTube, CraveTV or MLBtv, etc.  There will always be services that we want that won't be available on Rogers' boxes for technical, competitive or other reasons.  I doubt that a closed architecture system like this will meet my needs as a more sophisticated consumer.  I will still likely need or want something like a Roku or AndroidTV or AppleTV at each TV.  Having Rogers Cable be an app on that box would be better IMHO.

It looks like this service may allow you to rent small wireless boxes.  That sounds good in theory but I have learned the hard way that rule number one when distributing video is to hardwire if at all possible.

What I want from Rogers is a high quality signal 1080p or 2160p that is easy to record onto a PC without DRM.   CableCARD would be AWESOME!   But I am in a very small minority.  I really wish that cable system became more open and that you could buy an STB from any one of a variety of companies, like TiVo, Win MCE, or others.  But that battle was lost a while ago.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

How and where can I apply to become a beta tester ?
I Plan to Stick Around

@wayner92 wrote:

CableCARD would be AWESOME!

CableCARD in itself is very much not awesome, but I would welcome it warts and all if only to be able to go back to using my beloved TiVo.

Aaaanyway... since that's never going to happen I'd be happy to get on the Beta Train for this X1 thing. Are people selected at random? There must be somewhere to opt into the program, right?