X1 IPTV service

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: X1 IPTV service

Hello @Lurker

Great point!. I can tell you from experience eveeyone will love it.
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Will this box have 4k or will there be 2 different boxes?

Thank you.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Square

The box I have seen is 4K.
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Rogers X1 IPTV "Soft Launch"

Anyone here know how this soft launch will be distributed? Meaning if it will be random subscribers or will it be a sign up of some sort... kind of how the modem firmware beta trials were rolled out. 

I wanna be part of that soft launch for sure after playing around with a family members X1 in the US. Pretty darn awesome. 

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @froma

More information will come next year when they start the process on how someone can enrole. I have heard different ways on how someone can get it but it's not a official word yet.

At this moment only Rogers employees internally are getting the chance to do a soft test on it. Stay tuned!

I've Been Around

I just had a Rogers technician visit to address communication issues between my recently installed Rogers 4K Nextbox and my Samsung Series 9000 4K TV (white snow, freezes and sound interruptions).  He told me there was no solution for the HDMI call communication problems that I and other 4K subscribers are experiencing as the boxes are not able to communicate properly with Samsung and certain other TVs.  The only solution will be elimination of the HDMI cable by  substituting the new X1 IPTV service that he confirmed was currently being tested by his fellow technicians ussing the box shown by others in this thread.  He said that Rogers was trying to roll it out to the public in January or soon thereafter but they want to make sure it is thoroughly tested and failure proof before going public.  He also said that self-install will not likely be an option initially as they are going to have the technicians do the install (for free) to make sure it is working properly with your Rogers internet service.

In the meantime, those of us with the communication problem will just have to live with it (for $25 4K box rental per month) or pull out our old Nextbox 3.0 box and return the 4K box.  Any bets as to whether we will be able to watch and PVR the Super Bowl without signal breakup with IPTV?

Has the Comcast X1 IPTV system been deployed in the US?  If so what boxes have been deployed?  Presumably Rogers would be deploying the same boxes as Comcast is using in the US.

When you say the HDMI cable would be eliminated- how is that possible?  How would the box connect to the TV?  HDMI is really the only option unless you could use a Smart TV app but that isn’t feasible for all TVs. 

Rogers has announced that they will be starting a soft roll-out of this service within the next three months (presumably their employees are already testing it).

Is this service widely used in the US by Comcast today?  It seems strange to me that when you Google "Comcast X1 IPTV" that most of the hits are regarding Rogers and Videotron using this service from Comcast.  Why isn't there more from US sites?  Or is Google filtering my results to Canada.

Does anyone know what boxes Comcast is using?  Presumably we would be getting the same hardware, would we not?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @wayner92

They are not. I am not allowed to say the model box number however they are not the say as the ones in the US from what i have seen.

However reps have been told the boxes may change. So that could mean we will. No one will tell u the model number or what box until it gets released. Employees are told not to say much. 

I'm a Senior Advisor

@wayner92 wrote:

Rogers has announced that they will be starting a soft roll-out of this service within the next three months (presumably their employees are already testing it).

Is this service widely used in the US by Comcast today?  It seems strange to me that when you Google "Comcast X1 IPTV" that most of the hits are regarding Rogers and Videotron using this service from Comcast.  Why isn't there more from US sites?  Or is Google filtering my results to Canada.

Does anyone know what boxes Comcast is using?  Presumably we would be getting the same hardware, would we not?

Its very widely used.  Try searching for their commercial branding name, "Xfinity"

Not only is it widely deployed by Comcast, its has also been adopted by another major US cable company, Cox Communications.