Wireless TV connection possible?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Wireless TV connection possible?

I'd like to get cable to TV into an upstairs bedroom in my house, but running coax is going to take some major drilling, fishing and likely some unsightly cable runs. Does Rogers have support for a wireless cable box or a device to allow a wireless connection to a normally wired cable box?

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Wireless TV connection possible?

How old is your home?  Is there any chance that you have structured wiring already in the walls but don't know it?  That is a set of wire bundles that run from the Structured Wiring Cabinet in the basement to each room, with each room recieving at least one wire bundle run from the basement.   The bundle is comprised of two RG-6 cables for satellite or Cable TV, one Cat-5e or better ethernet cable for data, and Cat-3 (possibly Cat-5e) for telephones.  If that bundle to each room is installed, parking devices anywhere in the home and moving data around becomes a simple task.  Typically a contractor will install the wire bundles, and only install a single connector on one of the RG-6 cables or telephone jack.  The remainder of the bundle will be tucked in behind the wallplate, waiting for the day when someone comes along and put it to use.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Worth a look.. but if the house is more than 10 years old.. i would highly doubt it 😞

Most cases.. from my experience.. you were lucky to have TWO connections in the house.. usualy living room and master bedroom.  (and master bed if you were lucky).

Unfortunately, no rogers doesnt support any form of wireless box at this present time.

Its something bell offers with their FIBE service (where available).
Rogers at least at this time has stayed away from it... there are some advantages as why.
With Fibe, while yes then requires NO lines for that other TV.. when you are watching something, it uses up a tuner on the main PVR box.. then limiting the number of channels able to watch/record there.

Comparatively, each of the rogers boxes, has its OWN tuner... its not drawing off any resources on the main box. (which then could slow the PVR box down as well, etc).

Likely i would guess that Rogers will move towards a more IP based delivery system.. in which we may see a whole bunch of new types of boxes available.

I Plan to Stick Around

My house predates cable so there's no hidden wires. That said, gdkitty has answered the question so thanks.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Run a Google search for the following:  transmit tv signal wirelessly

Have a look at the results that come up.  You might find that there are solutions availble to accomplish what you are trying to do.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I'm afraid you'll have to bite the bullet and figure out how to run the cable yourself or find someone to do it.  Rogers, won't do anything like that for you, only run cable along the surface, around doorways, etc.  Any competent electrician can do it.  Maybe the least amount of drilling would be to run it through the heating ducts.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes it is possible using a Wireless A/V Transmitters & Receiver utilizing tthe RCA or HDMI outputs on the back of any cable box or from the TV itself that is connected to the cable box downstairs.

And optional:  Remote Control Extendar Kit (or IR Extendar) to change the channels on the cable box downstairs.

Example:

-Cable box in one room downstairs where physical cable is with the transmitter for A/V and optional transmiiter for remote control

-Room upstairs TV with reciever for A/V and optional reciever for remote control.

Note that some of the wirless kits mave have the IR Extendar built in as well, google the bolded items above and do some reading.

You are looking at spending about $200.00 to $400.00 I would say.

As always post a reply of what you installed or did to get it working.

-To add to Oldyellar you can fish ducts with ballons and fishing line when the blower is on.

-Also dont forget about fastening cable to the ouside of the house then into the room.

Dedication level: Same cell number since1988 (Cantel)
I've Been Around

Wireless tv

Is there a way to use a smart tv on my deck wirelessly but to watch live tv? Does Rogers have wireless capabilities? Wanting to watch sports, news and tv shows.
Thanks

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Merkman19 wrote:
Is there a way to use a smart tv on my deck wirelessly but to watch live tv? Does Rogers have wireless capabilities? Wanting to watch sports, news and tv shows.
Thanks

You might be able to use a tablet and RAPTV Home Edition app and cast the screen to your TV, but that's about the only way to do it with Rogers service that I can think of.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

In addition to AnyPlace RAPTV (link below).  (The channels may be limited depending on the device used)

http://www.rogers.com/web/support/tv/anyplace-tv/410?setLanguage=en

... There are HDMI transmitter/receivers that would work up to 1080P.    I saw some for around $300 on Amazon.ca.