Why not all HD channels?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Why not all HD channels?

With the switch to all digital, one reason being to get more useful bandwidth, why does Rogers not broadcast all channels in HD now? I see only about half my timeshift channels in HD and many other channels, such as PBS and CNBC in SD only. To quote some comedian, "This is 2015".

***Edited Labels***

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Why not all HD channels?

it could be due to their existing carriage aggrements with the networks.   When rogers first started cable tv, everyone was broadcasting in standard definition and it was most definitely in analogue.  Just because a Channel / Network converts their facility to do HD broadcasting/prorgramming, does not apply to their existing carriage agreements. and a new negociation needs to take place to add the HD feed to their carriage.  Sometimes the networks want an increase in fees to pick up their HD feed, which Roers may not want to pay the added cost, so they dont carry them untill both parties reach some kind of agreement on the terms.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Re: Why not all HD channels?

It would be great to revisit the CNBC issue.    Even most PBS stations are HD now.   CNBC seems to be one of the last channels in SD.

When you boil it down to the bottom line CNBC is in the advertising selling business..... They make money selling ads.... It is in everyone's best interest for them to have their channel in HD selling products and services.  Rogers should go back to them and point out this obvious truth.

I like CNBC but watching it in SD makes no sense in 2017 (when the HD signal is available).  Rogers and CNBC should be able to come up with an agreement.