Why do I find so many of the same channels when scrolling through the guide? Many of these aren't time shifted and well, I'd like to know why I keep seeing Show case twice in HD and twice in SD. Wouldn't these channel spaces be better put to use with more channels and not the same ones? Am I crazy?
Can you please answer with reasoning as to why many channels are repeated over and over again when they are not time shift channels?
1. The lower channel numbers are familiar to many long-term (older) users, so they stay where they are.
2. The channels in the 500s (and high 400s) are the HD channels mostly grouped together.
3. There are several "themes" that have the channels grouped together - kids, news, movies, sports, timeshift, French, ethnic, radio, Stingray music, etc.
4. These "duplicate" channels don't use up any additional bandwidth, they are simply "remapped" to the various numbers "on the dial".
5. If we ever need more channels than 1000, Rogers can probably start deleting some duplicates or start channels over 1000, like other providers already do.
Number 1 mostly. There are legacy customers whom have had cable since cable was a thing, and they only reference channels as channel numbers ("The game's on channel 4 tonight, Mabel").
The lower channel numbers are/where the SD channels are grouped. The corresponding HD channels are in the 500s. If you select a channel in the lower numbers, and you have the NetBox sett for HD (1080i/1080p), and there is a corresponding HD channel, the netbox will play the HD version by default (but will not switch the channel in guide or the display).