Why do most channels repeat on the guide?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Why do most channels repeat on the guide?

Why do I find so many of the same channels when scrolling through the guide?  Many of these aren't time shifted and well, I'd like to know why I keep seeing Show case twice in HD and twice in SD. Wouldn't these channel spaces be better put to use with more channels and not the same ones? Am I crazy?

Can you please answer with reasoning as to why many channels are repeated over and over again when they are not time shift channels?

Thanks

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Why do most channels repeat on the guide?

There are several reasons:

1. The lower channel numbers are familiar to many long-term (older) users, so they stay where they are.

2. The channels in the 500s (and high 400s) are the HD channels mostly grouped together.

3. There are several "themes" that have the channels grouped together - kids, news, movies, sports, timeshift, French, ethnic, radio, Stingray music, etc.

4. These "duplicate" channels don't use up any additional bandwidth, they are simply "remapped" to the various numbers "on the dial".

5. If we ever need more channels than 1000, Rogers can probably start deleting some duplicates or start channels over 1000, like other providers already do.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@57 wrote:

1. The lower channel numbers are familiar to many long-term (older) users, so they stay where they are.

2. The channels in the 500s (and high 400s) are the HD channels mostly grouped together.

3. There are several "themes" that have the channels grouped together - kids, news, movies, sports, timeshift, French, ethnic, radio, Stingray music, etc.

4. These "duplicate" channels don't use up any additional bandwidth, they are simply "remapped" to the various numbers "on the dial".

5. If we ever need more channels than 1000, Rogers can probably start deleting some duplicates or start channels over 1000, like other providers already do.

Number 1 mostly.  There are legacy customers whom have had cable since cable was a thing, and they only reference channels as channel numbers ("The game's on channel 4 tonight, Mabel").

Satellite and IP offerings aren't encumbered by this legacy thinking,,so can organize their channels however they want.

If you thought the Navigatr thread was long, just wait until Rogers builds up the courage to overhaul its channel lineup Smiley Happy

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@Lurker wrote:

@57 wrote:

Number 1 mostly.  There are legacy customers whom have had cable since cable was a thing, and they only reference channels as channel numbers ("The game's on channel 4 tonight, Mabel").

The lower channel numbers are/where the SD channels are grouped.  The corresponding HD channels are in the 500s.   If you select a channel in the lower numbers, and you have the NetBox sett for HD (1080i/1080p), and there is a corresponding HD channel, the netbox will play the HD version by default (but will not switch the channel in guide or the display).

Rogers Employee ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee

Agreed with @mfait ^

I still play SD channels knowing it will pull the HD channel (because I am lazy to learn the HD channel number)

I may be use to legacy channels and my relatives are SD customers only so going to their homes it usually the same channels, easier to remember if I just remember SD numbers.