Why are multicultutal channels mostly SD?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Why are multicultutal channels mostly SD?

I was curious about this.  I noticed this over the years when they come on as free previews.  I noticed more recently.

First let me say it was nice of Rogers to give several channels as free previews during our isolation lock down. 

Flipping through the channels, I was just wondering why the multiculture channels only come in standard definition.  I see a handful in HD but most seem to be SD only.  Why is that?  The box goes up to 999 channels, alot of duplication as well, so lots of channels available.  Showcase for example comes in SD and HD, just wondering why the multiculturals are mostly SD only.

Thanks

*Added Labels*

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Why are multicultutal channels mostly SD?

Same question applies to ctv news net. Why is that only available in SD
Highlighted

Good evening @myusername100,

I hope you're enjoying the free previews!

I realize the TV watching experience is definitely superior in HD. Most of our Multicultural Theme Packs include HD channels. While some channels may only broadcast in standard definition.

As for CTV News, it is available in HD on channel 62 as a standalone or as part of the Canadian News Theme Pack for Ignite TV and legacy customers. 

For a complete list of HD and multicultural channels as well as the theme packs please check out Our Channels page.

RogersZia

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I can only comment on my experience but back when Rogers was Analog Cable, they used NTSC signals.

There was a point we had NO international channels at that time, they were only syndicated programs on existing networks, but the first international channel I remember being transmitted was RAI International (now called RAI Italia)

Back then Everything was in Standard Definition and the international channels were in PAL so they had to convert them to NTSC to distribute on our cable system.

Over time some of those stations probably upgraded their facility to HD, but Rogers would probably have to re-negotiate to carry the new signal on their network, and there are still tons of customers who have SD only receivers so this would be a big blow to them.

you decide? is it worth converting to an hd only signal to please a small handful of customers at the expense of pissing off the rest of the community most being retired and on pensions and dont have enough money to upgrade their DTA to a new HD receiver to continue to watch italian programming?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

My Channel 62 is still SD.     Is there a number I can call to get this looked at?  Thank you

Highlighted

Hello, @myusername100.

We can look into it for you, what TV service do you have? Ignite TV or Digital TV? 

If Digital TV, are you trying the channel 62 on an HD set-top box? Is this channel SD for you on more than one box?

Please provide us with the model of your set-top boxes. 

Cheers,
RogersMoin

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you RogersMoin.  It is digital TV,  scientific atlanta explorer 4250.  You refer to it as 4290.

Highlighted

Hello, @myusername100

Thanks for that additional info.

We have received your Private message and we will continue troubleshooting this matter with you there.

RogersTony