Whole home pvr, disappointing 'upgrade'

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Whole home pvr, disappointing 'upgrade'

Hmm, could be more of the same stuff then at the street level.

But with the issues with 2 and adding the third may be too much of a drain on a possibly already week signal due to the street stuff going on.
Likely wouldn't need to put the temp line then.

But hopefully something like a booster might help. Mine is borderline ok, but its a 20+ year old house. Booster pushes the signal strong enough that its in the Good range 🙂

When they come out don't let them skimp, have them test ALL tv outlets, etc.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@clegedza wrote:

We actually had Rogers come out a few times in the last month or so due to frequent problems with the pictures on both TV's "pixelating" and freezing. At that time the one agent who checked it fromtheir end said the sgnal was low. Tech who came to the house said issue was outside on the street .  Thought problems were over.

Update - I did get that bedroom box to reboot - got the time to show but very sporadic service. When I display the guide its says "no information" on every channel but when I scroll through I am getting some channels - CNN and W are 2 I'm getting - very weird. When I go to anotehr channel and press enter I get an endless "loading" message.

You know, I really don't think Rogers has a clue. They are spinning their wheels due to total ineptitude. We too suffered from pixelation and freezing. When we contacted Rogers over the phone, they supposedly ran some tests and determined that we had a signal issue. They sent out a tech who ran his own tests and said our signal was fine. He told us we needed a new line run from outside the house to the inside. Do you think this fixed the issue? Not a chance. Called again and tech number two comes out and said we needed a new box. Do you think this fixed the issue? Not a chance, though we did lose all of our recordings. Finally, Rogers said they would have someone monitor our issue and he called and said that there was a problem "under the street" and it would be a major job to fix it. Think it was fixed? Not a chance! The ineptitude of Rogers knows no bounds and the clowns that defend them - well, what can I say? As far as nextbox is concerned, I do not think there is a worse product on the market. 

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Rogers HD NEXTBOX is completely horrible... The new update has so many issues... It won't record or it will record but when I try and play the recording nothing happens... The boxes I just take back about 30 times and it always happens.. I am not sure who makes the software for these things but serious fix the  software before you look at improving other things... Like seriously... This is why everyone honestly is just dropping an HD Antenna ontop or at the side of their home to grab channels. and go to FTA...... Get with the program... What is funny is that SHAW cable now is coming here... Hmm.... BELL TV is horrible but is more reliable if you ask me... Also, Why is Rogers always increasing the prices of cable by a dollar every couple months seriously... Eventually no one will want rogers and everyone will be using the INTERNET.

**edited for content**

I've Been Here Awhile

I have tried to like this upgrade but the more I use it, the more I hate it. Very slow to respond to inputs, 2 to 3 seconds and sometimes up to 5 seconds.

Unavailabe channels not indicated by colour, you have to select it first to find out for each channel.

To fast forward through a recording is painfully slow. You used to be able to jump in 15 minute increments with the page up button.

Too many complaints to list.

DID ANYONE THINK TO PUT OUT A BETA VERSION OR GET ANY KIND OF FEEDBACK FROM A SMALL TEST PANEL BEFORE SUBJECTING THOUSANDS OF USERS TO THIS KIND OF TORTURE? I WANT THE OLD FORMAT BACK.

JUST HORRIBLE!

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Complaint

Sadly its known we the customers are the beta testers. They never really tested this out when it came out. You should have seen how many of us complained about the problems and issues and bugs the software has. Sadly its taking Rogers almost a year to even fix half of the issues. Rogers has put us as beta testers for a lot of things but never admits it.

You can alwaya go back to the old Guide / OS by calling Rogers and speaking to the tech support or cable reps. Ask them to revert you to the old guide again. Warning this does lose the whole home PVR and other new features the new software has. It may take 24/48 hours to get that once you ask them to do it.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As meowmix said..  you can revert to the old guide, which many people do.

The new guide, there is a differention of the available vs unavailable channels though.
Albeit, its not as night and day as the old guide.. ln the newer guide, the channesl you get are in WHITE text.  The unavailable channels, are in a darkish grey.
Now.. i have seen this on a few TVs... on my TV, a 50" LED, etc.. it has a great color contrast on it, and they stand out fairly clear.. but say on my mothers TV, which is a more budget HD tv, (not sure, may only be 720p as well).. while i can see the difference.. it is NOT very clear and could easily be taken as the SAME uness you have really good eyesight.

When the guide first came out.. there was NO color difference.  SO its a step up.. but still far from PERFECT (like the whole guide). They could do it as something like a RED box for unavailable, etc

I've Been Around

I didn't ask for this change of menu. The old menu was less complicated and so very much quicker. I have a 2nd PVR with the older menu and am very happy with it. Bring back the old menu. If Rogers wants to upgrade then they should test it until it is proven to be better, quicker and less complicated. If the new menu stays as is I will be seriously thinking of changing TV carrier.

I'm Here A Lot

What about the comment of the guide and PVR being painfully slow...i mean it is PAINFULLY slow. I came over from Bell and this PVR is horribly disappointing! I am thinking about switching back
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@vickip:

Rogers has several models of PVR. There is the very slow, underpowered 8642, and the perfectly adequate, newer 9865.  If you have the 8642 and you are "renting", you should exchange it for the 9865. I'm not sure if you have WHPVR, which is the topic of this (very old and out-of-date) thread or not. WHPVR usually consists of one (or more) PVR and one (or more) set top box. Again, the 8642 is underpowered and should not be considered for this application.

There is also the SA8300HD which runs different firmware, and is over 10 years old, but is usually only utilized (on its own) by existing older Rogers customers.

I'm Here A Lot

Iw ill have to verify, but my understanding is that we do have the WHPVR and 2 x 8642 - I will double check and exchange them at Rogers.  Will I lose my recordings?

Order Now!
UFC 246: McGregor vs. Cerrone Live
LIVE: Saturday, January 18th 10:00 PM ET
Countdown: 9:30 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $64.99 (HD) | $59.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $64.99
Ignite TV customers can order now!
DTV Customers can order as of January 16th

He's back! Irish superstar Conor McGregor makes his return to the Octagon on January 18, and he's kicking off 2020 with a welterweight showdown against the man with the most wins in UFC history, Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone. Returning to action for the first time since October 2018 in the main event of UFC 246, the two-division champion from Dublin known as "The Notorious" one wants to make a statement against Albuquerque action hero Cerrone, who has picked up five post-fight performance bonuses in his last five bouts.

Topic Stats