Whole home PVR nextbox 3.0

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Whole home PVR nextbox 3.0

@DE_ : Yes, you must have WHPVR to operate that way. The limit on the number of PVRs may be specific to location, so you'll probably need to call Rogers to get confirmation of what's possible at your location. I seem to recall a thread where someone had at least three PVRs as part of WHPVR.  I updated the following post over on Digital Home when I saw that posted:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-rogers-cable-tv-hd-pvr-discussion/150244-whole-home-pvr-whpvr-ont...

I Plan to Stick Around

I'm located in Brampton, Ontario and recently had a Rogers tech do a bundle upgrade which included reactivated a WHPVR which hasn't been working in over a year. After he added a third Nextbox 3.0 I was told I couldn't have 3 Nextbox 3.0 and one HD set top box on a WHPVR, therefore one of the 3.0 would have to be disconnected from the WHPVR, which would mean qty of 2 Nextbox 3.0. and one HDbox would be part of the WHPVR. Is this correct that 4 boxes can't be part of the WHPVR as I came across the following quotes off of Rogers web page. 

See link below " Enjoy the flexibility of watching a recorded program in up to 4 rooms at once (per networked HD PVR) and by stopping the recording you can continue watching it in another room."

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/whole-home-pvr-overview

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Nickel11: Based on the link in post 11 of this thread, you should be able to have 3 NB3s and a STB.  Perhaps you need another technician.

It is possible that in some locations there is a 2 PVR limit, but it's probably just that the technician didn't know how to set things up.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the reply 57. 

I did read post 11 and it stated "it depends on location" which is why I started off with my location. The tech called into tech support with the serial numbers of the boxes, but didn't as tech support what was the maximum amount. Would it be possible to call tech support myself and if they state I can add a 4th Nextbox 3.0 that I have the serial number handy and add it to WHPVR with having a tech come out? 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It depends.  😉  Depending on the technician you talk to, they can sometimes add the additional box remotely, but often a truck roll is required.  This can also depend on the wiring that the first technician did in your home and the location of the MoCa filter, etc.

Call the regular number and see if the CSR is knowledgeable regarding WHPVR, if he/she is not, ask to speak to someone at "second level".  Good Luck.

PS. Don't call it the 4th PVR...

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks again for the reply. 

I was hoping that I could add another Nextbox 3.0 and have it done with my help via phone tech support as I didn't want to incur the cost of a tech service call. My luck hasn't been good with Rogers and I'm trying to do my best in avoiding another annoying Rogers phone call should a addition cost be added to my bill even though they may say "no change". Believe me, it's happened too many times.

I have to call in to Rogers to have them correct my bill and if the call doesn't last more than an hour than I'll ask to be transferred to tech, although there is a 10% chance of that.

For the record I was hoping for qty of 1 HDbox and 3 Nextbox 3.0 so I'll make sure not to call it a 4th pvr, which I believe I may  have eluded to that in my previous post. 

Thanks again 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I think the ORIGINAL rules, were 2 PVRs and 4 HD boxes if I remember correctly?

Though it may have changed.   
Techs may be going off that.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Gdkitty: Per the link in post 11, 2 PVRs used to be the max (with perhaps 6 STBs).  However, that has certainly changed at least for most locations, perhaps provided you have fewer than 8 boxes in total.