Whole Home PVR - Not enough resources / Please wait, playback starting

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm an Advisor

Re: Whole Home PVR - Not enough resources / Please wait, playback starting

@OLDYELLR wrote:

@Gdkitty wrote:

never had to excise a waranty on an owned box.. but i BELEIVE you do it at the store level.

I was given an 8300SD PVR as a Rogers promotion when they were discontinued. The first one had a flaky hard drive, but when I tried to get it exchanged at the Rogers store, I was told they only exchange rentals. I had to call Rogers and a tech came out with another box. Not sure of rent-to-own works the same way.

Hello all, not sure what they told you guys but I was able to take my OWNED box (that was still under warranty) into the store and have it replaced with a new unit.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@robindp wrote:

Hello all, not sure what they told you guys but I was able to take my OWNED box (that was still under warranty) into the store and have it replaced with a new unit.

I guess this drifted off topic, but anyway, my owned 8300SD did not come from the Rogers store, but was delivered by a Rogers tech and set up. Maybe that's why the store couldn't exchange it. My refurbished 8300HD came from Shopping Channel and I presume the Rogers store wouldn't replace it if it died while in warranty.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I've Been Around

I have been getting those error messages that prevent me from watching my saved shows and movies too.  The glitch has been hapening at least once a day for the past 3 months.  I noticed it almost always happens after I'm watching regular cable TV or Rogers On Demand for a while, and it also happens after I have been away home for a few hours or when I wake up in morning.  The problem seems to happen even more often as soon as my Nextbox's memory is 70% or more full.  Rebooting the box by unplugging it usually works as temporary fix, but sometimes I have to reboot twice in a row.  This is especially annoying and also embarassing when I have friends or my girlfriend visiting, and we have to sit around waiting over  20 minutes for my PVR to restart.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

One user on another forum, who has the same error quite often, also mentioned that theirs was over 70% full.

I am wondering if it's something to do with that... Trying to have a temp space or something and it's not available due to the drive being X % full (though in that case it should have the storage adjusted to then always leave that resource spacr not counted.

I Plan to Stick Around

I have had an open ticket with support for months now. Every month they faithfully update it and thank me for my patience and say they are still working on the problem. I don’t hold out much hope for a easy or quick solution.
I'm a Senior Advisor

I still have trouble understanding how anyone gets to 70% of a 1 TB drive?

There is some serious program hoarding going on.  The PVR was never meant to be a permanent storage device.  Record the program, watch the program, delete the program. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Nonsense. Having 300GB available on a 1 TB drive should not cause ANY problems.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thats what i am saying.. i wonder how much 'overhead' is needed for other stuff, etc..  lets say needs 100gb for overhead, it shouldnt be allocated as part of the available space.

But 300g shouldnt be an issue.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Yes. Let's not confuse memory with storage space. We know that the NB2 was lacking in hardware resources from early on and the NB3 was like night and day in speed and processing power. However, Rogers quickly overextended it with new "features" rather than just replicating everything the 8300 could do before adding new stuff.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I Plan to Stick Around

What exactly is the difference between a temporary storage device and a permanent storage device?

Why should it matter how long one keeps a program recorded? What harm is there in it? Why should Rogers care at all?