Whole Home PVR - Not enough resources / Please wait, playback starting

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Whole Home PVR - Not enough resources / Please wait, playback starting

Interesting. That would completely change my mental model of how these PVR boxes work. My understanding was that there is no transcoding going on, and that the box is recording either the raw MPEG2 stream, or the encrypted TS which it can decrypt on the fly. I know in the olden days (8300 etc) you used to be able to pull the MPEG2 off the box via firewire and it was obviously the original source MPEG2 data, not a transcode.

I thought maybe it's something to do with the recordings itself, there are lots of variations (e.g. 720 vs 1080, AC3 vs PCM, and who knows what else), but as we've noticed, there doesn't seem to be any pattern. 

Rogers came on Thu Sep 19, I showed them the diagnostics menu (the tech didn't even know about EXIT-DOWN-DOWN-2) and they were dumbfounded, put in an escalation and said I'd hear back soon. Nothing yet. I figure I'll give them a week, or until it happens again, whichever comes first.

To reiterate, just like trentbaur all my recordings are playing back fine except for the Sep 7 weekend, but we have no way of predicting when/if it will fail again.

Oh, and I'm still on 4.0.0.123, even after rebooting this morning. Would be interested to see if it's still an issue on 4.0.0.129, or if there's any other noticable changes.

I Plan to Stick Around

The codec theory IS interesting and does change a lot. If I understand codecs right, it would have a lot to do with file size per show and that would definitely be something they'd like to optimize/improve over time.

Having said that, I'm a simple man, I just want it to work. I really like my basement exercise room setup and I will be really frustrated if the problem comes back once hockey season starts. 😄

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

i could be wrong.. just throwing out ideas 🙂

Only reason i think that.. is that many people on the NB3 are saying they maybe can only get 150 HD hours out of the box.. not the 240.

(maybe the 150 HD is recording the HD fireplace channel? :P).

Wondering, if to INCREASE the storage capacity.. they are playing with the codec to get the file smaller, etc.

I've Been Here Awhile

The best part is when they tell you that you're the only one that has the problem.
I've Been Here Awhile

I'm just new to Rogers and having same problem. Both NB 30 and 20 have been replaced.

Has this problem been resolved?

Have tech coming Feb 1 2014.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hey xzyzrk01,

No, it's not fixed, but it's only happening infrequently. There was a cluster of bad recordings in September, and then another a few weeks ago in January. The majority of recordings stream fine, so I've lost the will to pursue this further.

I had a tech out in September, but they are not really knowledgable about the software, especially not the WHPVR or NEXTBOX stuff. I had to teach the tech how to get into the diagnostics menu (hold EXIT, press DOWN, DOWN, 2). 

Several weeks later, an actual engineer called me from a 416 number. He seemed only mildly interested in solving the problem, more so in closing the ticket. Once I told him it only affected a few shows from a few weeks ago, we both agreed to close the ticket.

If you want to follow up, I suggest the following:

- Get into the diagnostics menu. Get proof of streaming errors. Take pictures.

- Call in a tech, when he can't fix it, escalate

- Call the 800 number and express your dissatisfaction. For me, they waived the $50 install fee.

- Wait for a senior tech to respond, possibly weeks/months, see what they can do.

Good luck!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Also.. one thing to make sure..

While the tech who installed stuff.. may have put the boxes there.. and called in to get the software push..

MAKE SURE that they did or DO (get them out again) to test the line/signal at the other boxes.
While it might be good enough for tuning regular TV.. might not be enough for the whole home communication.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks to the both of you. Can't seem to get into diag menu in bad device. Please can you be more descriptive in the procedure.

While holding down exit depress down arrow twice then numeric 2 or otherwise.

Thanks again

I Plan to Stick Around

Hold EXIT for approx. 2 seconds. An envelope icon will blink on the front display. Release EXIT.

In rapid succession, press DOWN, DOWN, 2.

I've Been Here Awhile

On the problem unit (non PVR) when I hold down exit the power icon flashes. Then down arrow, down arrow, 2 takes me to channel 2.

Also I'm sure you know this but the 20 and 30 communicate wirelessly. Is it possible a wireless error once encountered disables that recording playback to the non PVR.

thanks