Whole Home PVR - Not enough resources / Please wait, playback starting

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Whole Home PVR - Not enough resources / Please wait, playback starting

Update:

- The recordings I mentioned previously from Sep 7/8 are still inaccessible.

- For the weekdays (Sep 9-Sep 13), everything worked well, all recordings during this time were streamable

- Recordings from Sep 15 (this Sunday) wouldn't work. Boardwalk Empire, Breaking Bad, Dexter, The Newsroom, all inaccessible for streaming.

- I called Rogers Monday morning. They advised I reboot all boxes. This actually fixed the recordings from Sep 15, but the recordings from Sep 7/8 are still inaccessible. I told them it didn't fix it, and I clearly kicked in their "get them off the line ASAP" procedure, because he gave me some BS story about how he can't reach one of my boxes (wouldn't tell me which one) because "my home network is down". They have to send a tech, who is coming tomorrow (Sep 19).

Here's something else I found.

Hold EXIT for 2 seconds until power light blinks. Press DOWN, DOWN, 2.

Go down to Manufacturer Diag, and Home Networking. On Page 4 through 6 you can see the last 9 failed streaming requests.

Here's some Google fodder for this issue. There's currently no results for these error codes, so it might bring some traffic here:

HTTP Code: 0xffffe7ea

And here's a screen cap: http://imgur.com/PQNXvyO

Not every failed attempt to stream a show ends up in a failed streaming request actually being logged in the diagnostics, it seems only about 1/10 failures cause it, so you need to have had your box on for a while (since it clears the list on reboot) and try it a whole bunch of times. 

Unfortunately this only seems to work when the 9865PVR fails to stream from another 9865PVR. The 4642HD doesn't ever seem to register a failed streaming request.

There's more you can do with this diagnostic menu. You can watch the streaming server and see what clients are streaming from that box. I tried this to see if I'd see a blip when someone else attempts to stream a known-bad show, but nothing.

While this gives a tiny bit of visibility into the issue, there still appears to be no pattern to what's causing it, and the fact that resetting the box fixed the Sep 15 recordings but not the Sep 7 recordings just adds confusion.

I've Been Here Awhile

I've got the same problem. "not enough resources" to access the pvrd shows. It all seemed to have started with the Nextbox 3. Now randomly taped shows will not play on any of the remote boxes, only on the pvr itself. Rogers walked me through the usual reboot stuff, then finally sent a tech our to go through everything. He found the signal was a bit week in some areas. He fixed the signal problem which made no difference at all to the original problem on hand.

He suggested swapping out the pvr. Many shows on there already. Im not crazy about losing them. Called Rogers again. This time it went to the escalation dept. They suggested sending another tech out to go through everything again. Now I have an appt for next week. I doubt he will find the problem. May just have to try swapping out the pvr after all. Have my doubts on that solution too.
I'm a Senior Contributor

How much do you want to bet it's the firmware? Swapping $500 boxes like you're trading hockey cards is ridiculous. If we went by Rogers technical solutions it would mean literally thousands of them don't work and need to be swapped out. Does ANYONE here actually believe that? 'nuff  said.

Yea I know, this post is total "Hogwash"
I've Been Here Awhile

I thought it's firmware right from the start. The least thing they could do when they use us a guinny pigs, is to listen to us. Good concept, but still needs tuning. I guess in the back of my mind I was hoping for a simple solution.
I'm a Senior Contributor

@Tedco21 wrote:
I thought it's firmware right from the start........

Well, hopefully Rogers will push out a firmware update that fixes this issue and many reported more. It's gotta be costing them an arm and a leg the way they're doing things now.................not to mention scaring off new NextBox 3.0 users.

Yea I know, this post is total "Hogwash"
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Are you able to post what firmware version you are experiencing these problems on?

I am not having them.. its working fine.  Want to compare to mine.

I Plan to Stick Around

Good suggestion GDkitty. My firmware version is 4.0.0.0123.

For what it's worth, since my post saying that everything works, everything still works. I just watched something using WHPVR that I recorded yesterday. But the old recordings that didn't work still won't work. But I'm fine with that.

The problem is so obviously firmware, it's so obvious. Weak signal would not lead to such consistency with which shows work or not.

The prior poster is right, swapping these boxes out willy-nilly is insanely costly when it's clearly not the problem. You would think that fixing a firmware bug would be super easy. And it would be even easier for customer service to say, "It's a known problem and will be fixed in such and such a time."

I'm a Senior Advisor

There is apparant'y a new firmware version being pushed (.0129) to users as we speak.  Maybe that firms some things up

I Plan to Stick Around

Or it's going to screw up my setup. sigh....

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Been thinking on this one..

I am wondering.. since it seems to be a PLAYBACK issue..

I am wondering.. if they have been playing say with a different compression method/codec for the stored movies..

Play fine on the box that records them, as it has it..
But the REMOTE boxes, which cant play them.. for whatever reason have an issue with the codec that they were recorded in..

If it was resolved and say reverted that all new recordings are still using the OLD codec, anything new would be fine...

Order Now!
UFC 246: McGregor vs. Cerrone Live
LIVE: Saturday, January 18th 10:00 PM ET
Countdown: 9:30 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $64.99 (HD) | $59.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $64.99
Ignite TV customers can order now!
DTV Customers can order as of January 16th

He's back! Irish superstar Conor McGregor makes his return to the Octagon on January 18, and he's kicking off 2020 with a welterweight showdown against the man with the most wins in UFC history, Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone. Returning to action for the first time since October 2018 in the main event of UFC 246, the two-division champion from Dublin known as "The Notorious" one wants to make a statement against Albuquerque action hero Cerrone, who has picked up five post-fight performance bonuses in his last five bouts.

Topic Stats