Whole Home PVR - Not enough resources / Please wait, playback starting

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Whole Home PVR - Not enough resources / Please wait, playback starting

It doesn't matter no one cares and it's irrelevant to the problem.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It doesnt matter how long you keep stuff on there.. its really your call.
Eventually, yes you will run out of room if you keep everything.

yeah, there is a difference between MEMORY and STORAGE.  Sorry wasnt trying to confuse that.

Some features, etc, such as how its always recording what you are watching, allowing you to pause, rewind, etc.. take up some space.  I dont know how much total possibly it could use up.
Was just saying, this potential space, should not be calculated in the total 100% avail (say of the 1tb), since it might be needed outside of storage.  But it shouldnt be THAT much.. anywhere near 70%

I would ASSUME that playback, etc more would use just local MEMORY than any storage.

But its wierd, that this issue seems ALOT more prelevent on machine with that higher usage.
I have the NB3, with an extender.  So 2tb.  I have like 20 hours of HD content on there.. and like barely 12%

I have had the NB3 since it came out.. have all the updates, etc.  Fairly heavy usage.. 3-5 recordings a night. playback 2-3 of them a night min, etc.
I have yet to see the error.

So it just seems, that SOMEHOW that only having that much left.. DOES come into play... not sure HOW.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@trentbaur wrote:

What exactly is the difference between a temporary storage device and a permanent storage device?

Why should it matter how long one keeps a program recorded? What harm is there in it? Why should Rogers care at all?

Rogers doesn't care, but its pretty apparant that the only people experiencing 'Out of Resource' issues are the program hoarders.

If you don't care about experiencing issues using a device for a purpose it really wasn't intended for, then knock yourself out.

I Plan to Stick Around

The purpose of the PVR device is to store recordings. It has an advertised capacity. It should work towards that capacity within reason.

Stop blaming the users.

I'm Here A Lot

it shouldn't matter if the HD is over 70% full. If the software requires some of its own memory space then it should allocate it and deny that space for recordings. I can't believe how crazy the software is.  How can you say when someone keeps recordings on there that is not hof it should be used??  For the past several days I cannot play ANY of my recordings directly off the box unless I reboot the dam thing and that doesn't always work and yes my drive is at 75%.  My wife is away for work for 2 weeks and she has her recordings going on Which will not be deleted till she watches them.  Are you saying that I am not using that pvr for what it was intended?  the old pvr never did this and this problem has only started a couple of days ago.  And we have hit over 75% many times!!!!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I dont think anyone is saying it SHOULD be that way..

this is obviously something that SHOULD be fixed, and sooner rather than later.

It just seems to be a common thing, the amount of usage.. that seems to help trigger this.
A stop gap, until a fix can be made... to help prevent it from less likely happening, would be to keep the % smaller, IF you can.

I Plan to Stick Around

As I said I have had an open support ticket with Rogers for exactly this issue since August.
They are incapable of solving the problem.
I've Been Here Awhile

I started geting the "not enough resources error " last week on my main ste PVR . My hard drive was only at 32% so the previous "expert" doesn't know what he is talking about when he says it afffects only "hoarders"

I called in and a tech advised me to change name of the main pvr box and reboot. This resolved but only temporarily .

I can reboot and get it working fine and then watch recorded programs for hours but the PVR won't waork intermittently if :

- I leave the set and PVR on so nothing chanages, go do something else and come back later and try to watch a PVR'ed program:

- or just watch normal TV for a while and then try to watch more recorded programs.

Sometimes it takes 2-3 reboots to resolve.

I did notice the box showed 2 recordings of 0 minutes last week, and they are now gone.

As well, there is one recorded program that was partially watched; that we cannot resume, start from beinging or delete. It will actually crash the PVR if you try and delete it from either of the boxes.

I know it is not wiring or signal strength because after a 10 year fight with Rogers and a letter to their CEO about poor service for years , they sent a senior tech to my house who diagnosed they had ired it wrong 10 years ago (and which I tried to get them to fix all those years)

He ended up rewiring my entire house and I got a credit for a years free service.

The free service inst so great if the boxes don't work however.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I dont think any one said it ONLY happens to those people.

But does seem to be a higher % chance if it is.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Read Message 93 by Lurker

Rogers doesn't care, but its pretty apparant that the only people experiencing 'Out of Resource' issues are the program hoarders."

It's not an issue with % of hard drive.