Whirring sound on my 8642HD PVR

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Whirring sound on my 8642HD PVR

My purchased Cisco Explorer 8642HD PVR keeps 'whirring'  It works great but that sound drives me crazy.  I have two newer Nextboxes but this one I purchased and want to keep it for the guest bedroom   Any suggestions on a restore ?  Or is it a hard drive that may need replacing ?  Or should I just chuck the four year old box ?

***Edited Labels*** 

Solved! Go to Solution.
Retired Moderator RogersHassam
Retired Moderator

Re: Whirring sound on my 8642HD PVR

Hi @Gigi52,

That's normally the sound of the hard drive but if it's that bad and loud, I can only suggest replacing the box. This is not really a software related issue which you can resolve by doing a factory reset. The factory reset can be done through the troubleshooting menu. Is the box still under warranty? How old is it? 

Thanks, 

RogersHassam 

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks RogersHassam.  The box is about 4 years old.  No warranty.  I purchased it at Future Shop.  I have two Nextboxes which work great.  Just thought that I might be able to do something about the noise.   It works fine, but definitely has older software than the Nextbox 2     The noise is annoying so probably not a good idea to put it in a guest room 🙂      Great community and great support.

Retired Moderator RogersHassam
Retired Moderator

@Gigi52,

Thanks :). If anyone else in the Community has suggestions, please feel free to chime in! 

@robindp@Gdkitty@57@OLDYELLR

RogersHassam 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You could put one of the quiet ones in the bedroom?

You could replace the iHDD yourself if you're handy, or get someone to do so for you for less than the cost of a new PVR.

After 4 years it's likely the iHDD that's the cause of the problem.  If you've tried a reboot, then it is what it is.  If it's clicking then the iHDD may be on its last legs.