Where is CableCARD and when are you going to support it?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Where is CableCARD and when are you going to support it?

Its maybe obsolete so Cogeco, Videotron, Bell express vu and Shaw used this technologie. Here the goal is have the posibility to choose and have flexibility. If CableCard is obsolete a new technologie AllVid is in development at US. Okay IPTV so android tv, Smart tv and some receiver is able to used this technoloigie so if the provider dont give the IP adress or http conection and link mac adresse of this "box" (provider  tv app) you have same problem no flexibilty and dont save money because you have to pay for receiver, The existing provider applications don't able to used like the tv receiver and some chanel are only available on some program. For 10 years, what has changed? no CableCard, no posibility to link your own reveiver etc. If nothing changes in CRTC laws no one has this posibility.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I hate to play devils advocate here but less and less people are invested in owning a television set, and due to the rise in amount of newer generation of people cutting the cord and moving to alternate style tv services, I think many of those factors and the fact that tv is shifting towards iptv based and becoming more optimized for viewing on smaller screens such as laptops, tablets and smart phones that we have come to a point where cable card would basically be considered useless. why should a company invest in a technology which is a dead end technology for them when all the younger generation want to watch TV on their smart phones, tablest and laptops, and by the way you cant use a cable card in a tablet or smart phone anyway so it makes logical sense for them to move to something different. Sorry to say but Cable Card is Dead

I've Been Here Awhile

The technologie  of cablecard  is already used so provider dont have to invest on cablecard tehcnology and yes iptv is the newest technologie and these for its as I mention (AllVid is a IPTV, cable etc protocol who replace CableCard it used on any iptv technology)  it in my last post. the request for CRTC is have the possibility for use the receiver you want (Android tv with iptv app like stbemu, smart tv with the app are already able to connect on iptv just put information or iptv receiver ) I talk about flexibility and choice. Now cablecard it used on many provider, if CRTC create law for the provider give cablecable or connect any receiver you buy at the future this law unlock many possibility. Today, providers who decide how you have access to your content, is it right for you?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Some History:

Original CableCard discussions took place about 14 years ago in Canada. 

Although they were mandated in the US around that time, the original CableCards had many faults and one of them was that they were not "two way", which is requried by most cable companies for SDV channels, signal measurements, On-demand, etc.

Then there were updated CableCards that were two-way, but by then it was too late since even with mandated CableCard in the US only about 1% of consumers utilized them and those that did often had problems because of compatibility issues.

Tru-2-Way was next around 2010 and it fell flat on its face due to lack of interest by all parties (customers and providers).

It is true that some Canadian Cable providers had STBs that had CableCards "in them", however, they were not for use in other ways, which is what some people wanted for their own recording/tuning devices.

As discussed in recent posts above, Cable companies now represent a much smaller percentage of overall customers with many customers using Satellite (which is also dropping in percentages), IPTV, OTT services, etc.  Even Cable companies will be going IPTV and eventually probably to apps.

CableCard is a horse that died over 10 years ago and I'm amazed that people are still flogging it.  It's dead Jim!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I agree with 57. Its dead Jim!

I'm a Senior Advisor

Turning off my snark for a moment...

I understand WHY people are 'flogging' CableCARD.  Its not so much the technology, its the idea....the idea of device independence.  People don't want to be tied into Rogers' equipment at what is seen to be a ridiculous rental cost.

For most people, CableCARD is the term most synonymous with this idea.

But, as long as there's a revenue stream to be had, there's no way Rogers is going to allow independent equipment on their network, not to mention the headache of trying to support someone's malware-riddled streaming HTPC.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks Lucker for your understand about my point of view! I change some information in my petition for are more clear about that!
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I get it. Rogers equiptment is not cheap. But it used to be somewhat affordable. I bought and own my set top boxes i paid about 30 bux per sd box at the time. They cost a lot more to buy now. I bought them because i own them i can do what i want with them plus if i ever decide to leave rogers i will sell them privately.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

I think the entire cablecard discussion will no longer be valid as IPTV seems to be the next trend.  All you would need is coax in the home and a IPTV box that you would connect to your input source.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I agree with Mahomed. IPTV will be the next generation of TV services, infact, Bell and Telus have been using IPTV for quite some time now and everyone seems to enjoy the technology, It's only a matter of time when Rogers joins the IPTV bandwagon and offers this it will be great.