Where is CableCARD and when are you going to support it?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Where is CableCARD and when are you going to support it?

Basically what the title says.  Your HD/HD-PVR boxes are insanely inadequate and archaic at best.  So I'd like to know when this option will be made available to the public (of course I know full well what the response will be).

***Edited labels***

I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Where is CableCARD and when are you going to support it?

I'll make it a formality....never.  CableCard is not coming to Canada on any provider.

Although to say Roger's boxes are 'archaic' is a bit of a stretch.  The Nextbox 3 is barely a year old.  Its the newest one Cisco makes...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As well with the nextbox 3, cablecard will not work with this box. Cablecard only supports a max of 6 tuner, while the nb3 has 8.

I'm Here A Lot

I don't need their boxes.  I can get my own (HD Homerun for example) and have it provide exceptional service over my home network through HTPC's running WMC.  In fact I'm doing that right now with an antenna as proof. 

If the rest of the public out there saw how easy it could be and just how much better the experience is (speed, accessibility, storage capacity, vastly superior interface etc.) cable companies wouldn't have a choice. 

It's legistated in the US; I'm not sure why it isn't here.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That is something you will have to ask the CRCT.. that would be their jurisdiction.

While i understand where you are comming from... ontop of the rogers boxes i own, i have/do run 3 media server/PCs at home.. have/do run WMC, XMBC, Mediaportal and Plex..

There is something to be said.. in general.. there are MANY people out there, who do not want do deal with any of that extra.. just want the turn on the PC, and tune the channel in.

You can see this by many of the people complaining about the analong cutover alone.. there are people who dont have ANY recording PVR, etc... they just want to turn on the tv and press channel 44 to watch what they want.

I've Been Here Awhile

"I'll make it a formality....never.  CableCard is not coming to Canada on any provider."  <----Umm, that is 100% wrong. Many of Shaw's boxes use cablecard inside their cable boxes. Typical wrong information spewed by people that have no clue what they are talking about.

I'm a Senior Advisor

So they're in the cable box? Then thanks for being technically correct, but offering nothing in the way of useful help. The OP wants a standalone CableCard for his WMC setup. That implementation of CableCard will never see its way into Canada unless the CRTC mandates equipment independence as the FCC did.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I start a petition here :

https://secure.avaaz.org/fr/petition/Conseil_de_la_radiodiffusion_et_des_telecommunications_canadien...

for have CableCard obligation to provider if someone want to add something or translate contact me.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

At this point, in my opinion, its pointless.

With just about all companies, including the ones in the USA using cable card right now, are moving over to IPTV, which doesnt/wouldnt need to rely on cablecard.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I agree with Gdkitty,

CableCARD was probably a great idea 10+ years ago, but with the rapidly changing technologies, its becoming obsolete, you may not think so, but by todays technology standards its already a few generations old.

I stated a prediction recently that Set Top Boxes will be a thing of the past, and in the not so distant future, most TV's will be Smart TV's running some kind of App depending on your provider, so if your with Rogers Cable, you will have a Rogers Smart App on your Smart TV, if your with Bell, or Shaw or Telus, and vice a versa, it would be the same. Basically the way technology is going, I believe this prediction will come soon, because of this, it would be pointless to invest in CableCard technologies, almost no one would be interested in it, and rogers wants to push people off the current technology platform and move them to their IPTV platform once they get the ball rolling, it wont be for a few years but it will eventually happen.