When tv turns off nextbox 3.0 turns off

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: When tv turns off nextbox 3.0 turns off

But is the box co
I Plan to Stick Around

But is the box completely shut off? Not in stand by but shut down where there is nothin on the front display. Also that still doesn't help the fact that i have to wait for it to reboot every time.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

@Ineartatreyu wrote:
But is the box completely . off? Not in stand by but shut down where there is nothin on the front display. Also that still doesn't help the fact that i have to wait for it to reboot every time.

No, the time is still showing, otherwise I would likely have to wait for a reboot each time.  You may have your reasons for wanting the box shut down completely, but for me that is not an issue.  sorry i can't help you with your problem.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

By default, when you turn the rogers box off... then NO.. its not OFF.. but on SANDBY.  Everything will still record, etc as scheduled.

Now.. IF your box it completely powering off.. like you would unplug it... causing the 5+ min FULL reboot.. with LOADING, etc... there is something else major going on.

I Plan to Stick Around

Yes, that's exsactly what happens, it shuts down COMPLETELY and i have to wait for the reboot when i turn my TV off. I don't want that though because i have recordgins set and i don't wanna always be waiting for it to reboot.
I Plan to Stick Around

It's really strange that when i turn off my actual tv it shuts down the box. THAT SHOULDN'T happen. There is some sort of conflict between my box and my smart tv.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, that's the only thing I can think of... And that it's sending some CEC signal (though you say its off?)

Try disconnecting the hdmi cable, don't have the boxes connected, but turn them on via the Rogers remote, both on. Then try with the tv to turn it off and see if it still happens.

I've Been Around

Re: When TV turns off nextbox 3.0 turns off

Sounds to me like you have your TV and box plugged into the new energy efficient surge protector. The surge protector will have a master plug in, a few energy saver ones and then a few standard ones. When whatever you have plugged into the master one is turned off the new surge protectors kill the power COMPLETELY to the energy saver ones. Great for DVD players since they are usually not used without the TV, but not for cable box's which still need power to record. Which would explain why your box is rebooting each time you turn your TV on. So, to fix, just move the cable box power plug to one of the standard ones (they will be labeled) on the surge protector and it should work fine. (Some of these surge protectors also have a switch on them which completely turns off the energy saver function and makes all of the plug ins normal. )

Hope that helps but it definitely sounds like what it is.

I've Been Around

Do you have your tv plugged into a power bar?  Does the power bar have a master plug and slave plugs?

If so, if your tv is plugged into the master and the nextbox is plugged into a slave plug it will turn off and require a reboot everytime you turn on your tv.

What you need to do is plug the tv in the master plug and plug the nextbox in an "always on" plug.

Solution isnt all mine, I give full credit to my IT friend.

fyi when I called Rogers on this matter they claimed they never heard of it before???

I've Been Around

I have a Nextbox 3.0 9865HD that continues to power off and reboot every time I turn my LG television off. I have turned off the SIMPLINK feature on the TV because I've read that that could potentially cause power issues between devices. It has to be something to do with the LG TV and the Nextbox because the NEXTBOX works totally fine on other TVs in the house. Can someone please help because I'm tired of waking up to an Err 99 message every morning and missing any and all programmed PVR shows.